Saints Lose Coaches To Other Teams In 07? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

aosinc

Very Banned
Reaction score
Do you think any of the saints coaches will be considered for head coaching jobs next year, based on the saints turn around this year.

Do you think any of the saints coaches will be considered for head coaching jobs next year, based on the saints turn around this year.

Gibbs would be the only possibility and this is his first year as a coordinator. I can't see him getting picked up only 1 year into his first coordinating job.

I don't think so, personally. We've got a new coach with a new staff. Usually when coordinators and under-coaches get picked for head coaching jobs, they have had long, impressive tenures. (i.e. Gary Kubiak, Sean Payton).

I guess its possible that some of the lower coaches might leave to take higher up jobs. But I'd like to think that since this thing we have going is only one year old, they're more likely to stick with Payton for the time being.

With Mike McCarthy landing the head coach job in GB, anything is possible. But no, I dont see any of the current group getting any interviews, with the exception of possibly Joe Vitt (and that is a longshot).

I think Gibbs would get some consideration from a middle-of-the-pack college program. NCAA loves pro coordinators with college coaching experince.
Gibbs has both.

I don't think so, personally. We've got a new coach with a new staff. Usually when coordinators and under-coaches get picked for head coaching jobs, they have had long, impressive tenures. (i.e. Gary Kubiak, Sean Payton).

I guess its possible that some of the lower coaches might leave to take higher up jobs. But I'd like to think that since this thing we have going is only one year old, they're more likely to stick with Payton for the time being.

Well, there were two exceptions this past offseason. Marinelli who was the d-lne position coach for Tampa and Mangini who was a first year defensive coordinator for the Patriots.

But those were somewhat exceptional. Mangini was hired because of his Belicheck "pedigree" and the hope that every coach guys like Belicheck and Parcells touch turn to gold. Same thing happened when Bill Walsh was around.

And Marinelli was just a dumb hire by a dumb GM, Matt Millen.

But both were unusual exceptions

I think Gibbs would get some consideration from a middle-of-the-pack college program. NCAA loves pro coordinators with college coaching experince.
Gibbs has both.

Gibbs wouldn't leave for the NCAA. If he has any belief in his ability to become an NFL head coach he would be much better served staying a D-coordinator for Payton where he essentially gets a free hand.

After the magical 2000 season, the Saints staff lost Zook and Bunting, and the defense never recovered. I hope we can keep this staff together for many more years.

After the magical 2000 season, the Saints staff lost Zook and Bunting, and the defense never recovered. I hope we can keep this staff together for many more years.

And McCarthy was rumored to be a NFL Head Coaching prospect for a year or so.

Then he decided to show how brilliant he was, got rid of the stripped down offense Brooks had excelled in, put in his "i'm so smart a coach" West Coast offense AND the end of Brooks began.

How many teams will change coaches next year? I don't think many, because most of the changes were done this year.

Sure change, the cardinals

Maybe, the ravens, titans

Possibly retiring, cowboys, redskins and seahawks

Now, who will be the "hot" candidates?

1. Ron Rivera, Defensive coordinator, bears. I think maybe he will be considered a "minority" coach, always a plus.

2. Larry Coyer, Defensive coordinator, broncos. To me, what he has acheived with the line he has is amazing.

3. If the titans switch coaches, I think Jeff Fisher will be a hot coach, specially for Arizona if he can bring Norm Chow.

4. Rick Dennison, Offensive coordinator, broncos. He has learned for a while now with Shanahan. Worked with the offensive line under Alex Gibbs.Was also a special teams coach and played the linebacker position.

For the "retiring coaches" I think they will try to get someone "in-house".

For that matter, lack of openings and very attractive candidates, I think we are safe for a while in keeping our staff as it is, for a while.

Last edited:
How many teams will change coaches next year? I don't think many, because most of the changes were done this year.

Sure change, the cardinals

Maybe, the ravens, titans

Possibly retiring, cowboys, redskins and seahawks

Cardinals, Titans, Cowboys, Redskins are all safe bets. Seahawks (retire), Ravens (miss playoffs), Atlanta (miss playoffs), Oakland (doesn't know what he's doing), and Steelers (retire) are speculative. That's up to 9 new coaches, wow.

Hot college coaches

Guy from Fresno St.
Pete Carroll
Kirk Ferentz

Hot NFL prospects

Ron Rivera (as guillermo mentioned)
Jeff Fisher (as guillermo mentioned) will coach in the NFL next year. Cowboys have been mentioned as a possibility.
Mike Zimmer (Cowboys defensive coordinator)
Jim Haslett (no i'm not kidding unfourtantly)
Mike Martz (wish I was about him as well)
Rumors of Dick Vermeil unretiring
can't think of anymore off the top of my head

I really don't think we would lose any of our coaches just yet to Head Coaching jobs. Even with a great season, I still don't see any of them getting HC consideration just yet. Now I can see some being pursued for assistant jobs elsewhere with a higher paycheck. I hope we have good contracts on these guys and are willing to match other offers they get.

Gibbs should get some serious looks for doing what he has....I read an article a week or so ago out of Dallas that was critical of the Cowboys letting Gibbs go. I think there was a totally different tone coming out of Dallas about Gibbs before the season started...but thats what wins will do for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom