Saints Made a Play for Joe Haden per Werder (2 Viewers)

Nice.. confirms what we already know. The #2 position is a liability at the moment. They at least made an attempt to rectify it and are not satisfied moving forward. Sterling Moore/Breaux as your CB's by week 12.

Starting to realize that the trumping up of Crawley by SP was coach speak similar to what he did with Josh Hill after the Graham trade.

Yeah...I think we will go DB early in the draft or go DE and then nab another good FA corner in the offseason to complement PJ when he returns

who knows what the costs were in picks , players and money, if we were to get in deep, I would have rather had Jaime Collins

A majority of those posting on Browns' forums favored the Browns trading Haden for the best offer made. Their regard for Haden seems less than that shown by some on this thread. The mood on the Patriots' forums about Collins is very different with most in disbelief over the Patriots trading Collins for so little.

Looks like Haden has 3yrs left on his deal, $32M in salary but none of it appears guaranteed past this season. Haden's fully guaranteed base of $10M this season would have cost the Saints $5M to finish this season. Browns will eat $6.8M and save $7.6M if Haden is released in the offseason. Looks like the saints were being proactive and "getting in line" just in case the Browns can't re-work his deal this summer.

Let's say the Browns wanted a 3rd for Haden.... considering $5M this year, $11M in 2017, $11M in 2018. That would have been 3yrs and $27M.

Would you have done that deal?

Personally, I would have done that deal even if I knew Haden would be gone after 2018. They're gonna save on the Byrd cut and the Ellerbe cut, plus they'll get some dead money relief.

Let's say the Browns wanted a 3rd for Haden.... considering $5M this year, $11M in 2017, $11M in 2018. That would have been 3yrs and $27M.

Would you have done that deal?

Personally, I would have done that deal even if I knew Haden would be gone after 2018. They're gonna save on the Byrd cut and the Ellerbe cut, plus they'll get some dead money relief.

I wouldn't. Just from what I've seen he is more name than talent right now.

I wouldn't. Just from what I've seen he is more name than talent right now.

There was the caveat of possibly reuniting him with Aaron Glenn. That entire DB group has underperformed since his departure from the Browns.

Haden was a solid CB a couple years ago, and I understand he was dealing with an injury last season, but he was bad.

Haden hasn’t played in many games this year, but when he has, the Browns would have been better off with him not suiting up. Haden is averaging just 6.2 cover snaps per reception, which is the fourth-lowest in the NFL. What’s more, his 2.60 yards per cover snaps allowed is the most in the NFL. Quarterbacks targeting Haden are 24-for-31 for 387 yards and four touchdowns. That’s a QB rating of 158.2. Quarterbacks in the NFL this season have been 0.1 point off of being absolutely perfect throwing at Joe Haden.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-pffs-midseason-all-worst-team/

This article talks about the top 5 worst CB contracts entering 2016, and Joe tops the list.
1. Joe Haden, Cleveland Browns

Years remaining on current deal: Four

Average remaining cap hit: $13.28 million

Year he could realistically be cut: 2018

Even before 2015, Haden’s play had always been a rung or two below his reputation. In 2015, this dynamic magnified, with Haden finishing with a 32.2 overall grade before his season ended prematurely with a concussion. He allowed a near-perfect 158.2 passer rating into his coverage last season, surrendering an average of 4.8 receptions, 77.4 yards, and 0.8 touchdowns per game in his five outings. He missed more tackles (five) in 290 snaps last season than he did in 1,044 snaps in 2014.

Even if we erase from our memory his disastrous 2015 season, one would assume that Haden’s past production would come close to warranting his current deal. The 29th-, 12th-, 20th-, ninth-, and sixth-highest graded cornerback going back from 2014 to 2010, respectively, Haden’s deal is easily among the top five at the position going into the 2016 season. With $20.1 million in dead money left on the contract, the now analytically-minded Browns need to hope for a return to at least his 2013 form to obtain commensurate value from Haden, an outcome made even less likely by the fact that his offseason ankle surgery leaves his availability for opening day in doubt.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-5-worst-nfl-cornerback-contracts/

So maybe the Browns screwed themselves by asking too much for him, and we may have dodged a bullet here. I don't know how he's doing this year, so I can't judge the move, but I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't have been excited had we gotten him based on what he has done in the past.

We need a similar version to Cam on the Opposite side. . .one that weighs about 20lbs less and a little faster. Then draft a couple of CBs next year for depth in case the concussed guys can't return. Hayden would be Lewis 2.0 in a year or two, they grow old too quick for the price the require.

I think we dodged a bullet. We don't need a big contract at CB, just need to get healthy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haden was a solid CB a couple years ago, and I understand he was dealing with an injury last season, but he was bad

When u for an bad organization for so long. It start to affect you lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom