Saints Made a Play for Joe Haden per Werder (1 Viewer)

clintjr23

Super Bowl Bound
VIP Subscribing Member
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Ed Werder @Edwerderespn

#Saints made play for #Browns CB Joe Haden before #NFL trade deadline but determined price was too high, per sources

I saw this on the side/tweet section of espn.com/nfl

Nice.. confirms what we already know. The #2 position is a liability at the moment. They at least made an attempt to rectify it and are not satisfied moving forward. Sterling Moore/Breaux as your CB's by week 12.

Starting to realize that the trumping up of Crawley by SP was coach speak similar to what he did with Josh Hill after the Graham trade.

Surely can't fault the organization for lack of aggressiveness on this front. Did the same with Josh Norman. But sometimes, passing on the deluxe version of something for the economy size means you'll have more money to buy the better one later -- when you can truly afford it :mwink:

Nice.. confirms what we already know. The #2 position is a liability at the moment. They at least made an attempt to rectify it and are not satisfied moving forward. Sterling Moore/Breaux as your CB's by week 12.

Starting to realize that the trumping up of Crawley by SP was coach speak similar to what he did with Josh Hill after the Graham trade.

Man, I'm hoping we have Breaux back this week. Maybe even Moore.

Crawley was getting praise in preseason when Breaux, PJW and Swann were projected as #1-3 on the depth chart. I don't ever recall SP or anybody else trying to sell Crawley as a starting CB in his rookie season.

We did well staying away from Haden. The long plan is Breaux and PJW with guys like Crawley as depth, and keep drafting well. Bringing in Haden's big contract and having to give up assets for him on top of that is the kind of foolish move that kept getting us into cap trouble the last few years.

We probably offered a 3rd or 4th round pick.

They wanted a 1st.

We said no thank you.

Crawley was getting praise in preseason when Breaux, PJW and Swann were projected as #1-3 on the depth chart. I don't ever recall SP or anybody else trying to sell Crawley as a starting CB in his rookie season.

Didn't say that and I understand he was forced into that position.

However about 2 weeks ago SP called Crawley a really good player etc etc and now its starting to look like he just didn't want to kill his confidence or give coaches a reason to pick on him. I'm not downing him but he should not be the #2 and we know that and we tried to do something about it in the short term but decided it wasn't worth the price.

Not sure if there is something wrong with what I said?

Crawley should be a 4th/5th DB at best as an Injury sub/developmental player.

Maybe I'm coming off as harsh IDK but I was just pointing out that we gave him a vote of confidence that hasn't lined up with his play and it was more or less confirmed by this thread. Because if what he said 2 weeks ago was legit...we'd be "moving forward" with him as the #2 but we obviously tried to upgrade him. Just like if Hill would have been the player we thought we were getting via that vote of confidence there would have been no need to sign Fleener this off-season.

Just was identifying coach speak. Don't mind me shrugs.

I'm worried with Haden's recent performance that he would just be another Byrd level contract for 3 more years ($10-$11mil cap hit for 3 more years). Glad we passed on giving up a ton for him.

We did well staying away from Haden. The long plan is Breaux and PJW with guys like Crawley as depth, and keep drafting well. Bringing in Haden's big contract and having to give up assets for him on top of that is the kind of foolish move that kept getting us into cap trouble the last few years.

Agree 100%. That's not a knock on Crawley at all. That kid is swimming in the deep end with sharks, and while he's getting beat at times, he's also winning his fair share of battles.

Making a move for Haden is an attempt to get better now, today, this very minute. It wouldve been a nice move, but given the cost to keep him long term, and his injury history, this wouldve/couldve been more food to feed the droves of Payton/Loomis haters who perpetually call for their heads for making moves like this.

Didn't say that and I understand he was forced into that position.

However about 2 weeks ago SP called Crawley a really good player etc etc and now its starting to look like he just didn't want to kill his confidence or give coaches a reason to pick on him. I'm not downing him but he should not be the #2 and we know that and we tried to do something about it in the short term but decided it wasn't worth the price.

Not sure if there is something wrong with what I said?

Crawley should be a 4th/5th DB at best as an Injury sub/developmental player.

Maybe I'm coming off as harsh IDK but I was just pointing out that we gave him a vote of confidence that hasn't lined up with his play and it was more or less confirmed by this thread. Because if what he said 2 weeks ago was legit...we'd be "moving forward" with him as the #2 but we obviously tried to upgrade him. Just like if Hill would have been the player we thought we were getting via that vote of confidence there would have been no need to sign Fleener this off-season.

Just was identifying coach speak. Don't mind me shrugs.

I get you, but what's he supposed to say, the kid stinks, I wish we had better. I mean, considering the circumstances, he's done OK, it's not like he's Jason David out there.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom