Saints Maintain Confidence in Stephone Anthony (2 Viewers)

"One thing he can do well is he can run and hit," Allen said. "And so we've got to find positions that we can put him in those positions where he's got a chance to do those things, and maybe take a little bit of the thought process out for him."

Can they just aim him at the quarterback and use him as a pass rusher?

Can they just aim him at the quarterback and use him as a pass rusher?

Or just move him back to Mike and let him continue to develop and be an explosive additional. To the linebacking unit with players potentially in Ellerbe and Robertson outside of him.

Lol. That sentence.

"I THINK we still have confidence in Steph."

THINK.

What an ambiguous way to put it.

Trying to pump up that trade value.

This is most likely it. A player that has the confidence of the coaches doesn't play 1 play in a game and average 1 tackle a game. He went from starter to afterthought in 1 season. That must be some kind of record for futility or it speaks volumes as to how bad our linebackers was last year.

I still that say we have to give him at least until the middle of the season before judging his performance at the new position. As of right now it doesn't look good at all, but let's give it more time. If he's not playing at least decent by the end of the season, then we can whip out the "bust" label.

When it comes to an evaluation of our players who surprisingly are not playing, I remain highly skeptical of the public comments of our coaches, who--let us be honest--are not known for candor with the public.

Yea I do recall the coaching staff also talking up sjb and spiller and we all know how that turned out...

IIRC, the other names that were in play for Saints at MLB during the 2015 draft were

Benardrick McKinney (2nd)
Eric Kendricks (2nd)
Denzel Perryman (2nd)
Paul Dawson (3rd)

How have they been panning out? Serious question. I haven't kept up with them.

IIRC, the other names that were in play for Saints at MLB during the 2015 draft were

Eric Kendricks (2nd)
Denzel Perryman (2nd)
Paul Dawson (3rd)

Better than Anthony from what I understand. Pretty sure they are all getting more playing time.

This situation makes me wonder if a better teaching LB coach could do something with Anthony.

Better than Anthony from what I understand. Pretty sure they are all getting more playing time.

Did some quick Google searching.

BERNARDRICK MCKINNEY
Last week was arguably McKinney’s most impressive outing as a pro, thanks to both his play against the run and his pass-rushing. When Chiefs QB Alex Smith was not under pressure last year, he recorded an NFL passer rating of 110.5; with pressure, that dropped to 57.5. Keep in mind that the NFL’s passer rating doesn’t account for the 44 times Smith was sacked, either.

DENZEL PERRYMAN
Perryman is yet another second-year player who came on strong when given a starting role late in his rookie season. It wasn’t until Week 11 that the Chargers decided that the Donald Butler era was over in San Diego and allowed their second-round pick to wreak havoc on opposing running backs. Perryman would finish with an absurd 18.3 run-stop percentage, the highest among inside linebackers by four percentage points (Butler’s was 4.7, for comparison). His production should only get better with more experience and a better defensive line to keep him clean.

ERIC KENDRICKS
After racking up seven tackles, one tackle for loss, and returning his first career interception 77 yards for his first career touchdown (just like his mother instructed him to do), Vikings linebacker Eric Kendricks has been named NFC Defensive Player of the Week.

PAUL DAWSON
Bengals waived LB Paul Dawson. Dawson was the 99th pick in last year's draft, so the Bengals are admitting this mistake pretty early. He played just 35 defensive snaps as a rookie while also covering kicks. Dawson might re-join the team on the practice squad.

Eric Kendricks (2nd)
Denzel Perryman (2nd)
Paul Dawson (3rd)

Not sure about Dawson but the other three are all starting and performing better than Anthony. Especially Kendricks who will likely be a pro bowler. He was viewed as the best lb going into the draft also, and yet we passed on him three times.....

If our 1st round pick and leading tackler from a year ago is not even playing on special teams, it most likely means his pre-season injury was a lot worse than we thought. He and Kikaha might be on the same track.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom