Saints & Media Tweets / Training Camp Notes -- Thursday 8/13 (1 Viewer)

So, like I said, you've already decided about the kid. His career has been decided, unilaterally by you, as a disappointment. Good job finally finding something we couldn't instantly disprove. You've just put the next burn on ice, instead.

What did I post that you disproved?

If you take a look earlier in the thread, you'll see that play discussed, including how it was Bell's responsibility and again Williams was trying to help clean it up and make a play.

I had a very good view of the play from where I was sitting. It might have been Bell's initial responsibilty, but when that ball was halfway there I was thinking "this is a pick" and Williams absolutely had a bead on it, and then he failed utterly.

No pick, no pass defensed, no tackle. It's about as bad as it gets. If that had been a play from the 1971,1980 or 1997 seasons, it would have fit right in.

There's just something missing there.

I had a very good view of the play from where I was sitting. It might have been Bell's initial responsibilty, but when that ball was halfway there I was thinking "this is a pick" and Williams absolutely had a bead on it, and then he failed utterly.

No pick, no pass defensed, no tackle. It's about as bad as it gets. If that had been a play from the 1971,1980 or 1997 seasons, it would have fit right in.

There's just something missing there.
Did you also see the push off by Sanders from where you were sat? It was a contested ball, hardly a clean and clear interception.

I don't propose Marcus is infallible, clearly he has had some horrible moments (as all players do). But the continued determination to define his play by those few moments is unwarranted, as much as I entirely understand why people tend to zero in on them.

As before, I hope he gets to give us some more of the good memories, to at least partially erase the ones people feel scarred by.

I think that Marcus may have an issue that looms large. The guy is a really good player and is young, so that works in our favor. However, he may have some slight mental disorder that causes his “absolute big moment” failures. It’s like an exceptional student, that completely freezes up and bombs big tests. Marcus doesn’t have that problem unless it’s in those moments. Now, granted that it’s only been a couple of times, but those times were highly critical moments. I’m no therapist, so I could be off base. Just what I see.

I think with a young player you do what you can to make his life easier.
That isn't putting him over a constant liability at corner and god awful play calling at crucial times.

Marcus needs to work on his tackling, Allen needs to work on his situational awareness and the offense needs to learn to score when the defense gives them opportunities to.

The 49's game and possibly the Texans game were the only games last year where the defense let the offense down.

The offense needs to get back to what it was mid 2017 when we were scoring at will.

Mental disorder is the wrong term, but I think you know that. Normalising critical moments, to be able to manage them effectively, is a process that (I think) takes time and focus. We probably all like to think that people either just have the relevant 'resolve' or they don't in big moments, but chances are much greater that they've gone through experiences that gave them that steel.

I credit anyone who had a terrible moment like Williams did vs Minnesota and, rather than crumbling, resolved to learn and improve. That's the process. And it's undeniably proven that we learn more from adversity than success.
Yeah, definitely the wrong term, which like I said, I’m no therapist or anything. It’s weird bc like I said, he’s a great player, and highly skilled. And you are correct, that young man has not wavered from trying to block out noise, with trying his damn ness to improve his game. I’m a fan of his. I just wish (for him) that those few plays were not so cringeworthy, to where people will vilify him.

Thread title should be changed to "Same circular arguments about Marcus Williams being either a good player of someone who should be working at Rally's"

Haven't seen a Saints update since like page 3.

I'm amazed that Williams has been this good after having such a disaster happen as a rookie. I honestly thought the kid might be done after that. For him to bounce back and actually be a good player, I'm proud of him. He needs to improve on some things but overall I think we could do a lot worse.

And to me some of his mistakes that people like to highlight are total flukes. Like the Emmanuel Sanders TD. Come on now. Bell falls down, Williams runs back to get into position but as he turns to locate the ball Sanders clearly pulls him by the jersey to the ground.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom