Saints Meet with DT Kentwan Balmer (1 Viewer)

I've watched Balmer play a few times and it's not the scheme change that was the major factor in him having a bigger impact last season. His name is Mario Austin, the 2006 National Defender of the Year, and he is the reason Balmer's production took off. Balmer was a 6th-7th round prospect before Austin took over next to him in the middle of UNC's defensive line. He should be getting half of Balmer's paychecks if Balmer goes in the 1st round.

I've watched Balmer play a few times and it's not the scheme change that was the major factor in him having a bigger impact last season. His name is Mario Austin, the 2006 National Defender of the Year, and he is the reason Balmer's production took off. Balmer was a 6th-7th round prospect before Austin took over next to him in the middle of UNC's defensive line. He should be getting half of Balmer's paychecks if Balmer goes in the 1st round.

If that's the case, which it very well may be, then that means he was the one getting doubled in years past and his production struggled because of it. I don't see anything wrong with that for a player getting taken later in the first round.

Balmer will be drafted 26 or 27 by Jax or San Diego.

We will not take him at 10, he will not last until 40

Balmer will not be around in the 2nd by the time we pick mark my words.....

There is a contest for draft guru on this site... for those who are sure so-and-so won't be there (and I'm not picking on you NolaDome, just using your comment for those who are sure a particular player will be off the board at a certain time.)

I really am curious as to where people think draft picks are going to come off the board. In both the expert and non-expert drafts, I've been surprised to see how far some guys have slid.

I could live with Balmer if we trade back in the draft. The "one season wonder" could apply to more than half of the juniors that declared for this years draft that could go in the first round.

Forget Dorsey or Ellis, Balmer at 10 = Superbowl!
worthy.gif

:no::covri::covermyeyes::jpshakehead::jauhnny::bartmat::run::ignore::cwmjitter::ipuker::tardmaker:

What if we traded spots with Philly, get Lito Sheppard, then pick Balmer. Just food for thought.

This is exactly what I think will happen. Then I believe we may even go trade for Shockey straight up for our 2nd. Of Ellis/Shockey/Sheppard, I believe 2 of these players will be Saints in '08. And we pick Balmer at #19. Shockey and Lito are both signed through '10 or '11 as well, so no new contracts for a good while.

2008 Defense
Smith, Grant, McCray
Young, Thomas, Balmer
Vilma, Morgan, Fujita, Shanle, Simoneau
Harper, Kaesviharn, Bullocks
McKenzie, Sheppard, Gay, David, Young

2008 Offense
Brees
Thomas, Bush, McAllister, Stecker
Karney
Colston, Meachem, Patten, Henderson
Shockey, Miller
Brown, Nesbit, Goodwin, Evans, Stinchcomb, Strief, Alleman, Bushrod

I haven't included the ST'ers and whatnot, but I can definatly live with this. In fact, it looks like a team that would be tough to reckon with.

There is a contest for draft guru on this site... for those who are sure so-and-so won't be there (and I'm not picking on you NolaDome, just using your comment for those who are sure a particular player will be off the board at a certain time.)

I really am curious as to where people think draft picks are going to come off the board. In both the expert and non-expert drafts, I've been surprised to see how far some guys have slid.
I don't think it is about "forseeing" the futur, but Balmer may not be the best DT in this draft but he could be (in my opinion) the only one that could dominate in a 3-4 defense (I'm just talking about the prospect predicted in the 2 first rounds). So I don't see how one of the 3-4 team that need DT will pass on him during an entire round.

This is exactly what I think will happen. Then I believe we may even go trade for Shockey straight up for our 2nd. Of Ellis/Shockey/Sheppard, I believe 2 of these players will be Saints in '08. And we pick Balmer at #19. Shockey and Lito are both signed through '10 or '11 as well, so no new contracts for a good while.

2008 Defense
Smith, Grant, McCray
Young, Thomas, Balmer
Vilma, Morgan, Fujita, Shanle, Simoneau
Harper, Kaesviharn, Bullocks
McKenzie, Sheppard, Gay, David, Young

2008 Offense
Brees
Thomas, Bush, McAllister, Stecker
Karney
Colston, Meachem, Patten, Henderson
Shockey, Miller
Brown, Nesbit, Goodwin, Evans, Stinchcomb, Strief, Alleman, Bushrod

I haven't included the ST'ers and whatnot, but I can definatly live with this. In fact, it looks like a team that would be tough to reckon with.

What if after the trade with Philly we turn around and trade #19 overall to the Giants for #31 overall and Shockey. According to the draft charts the difference between a 19 and 31 is about a 2nd rounder, the supposed asking price for shockey. Then we get Shockey and Sheppard and can pick one of the remaining DTs at 31, whether its Balmer or Laws.

Last edited:
What if after the trade with Philly we turn around and trade #19 overall to the Giants for #31 overall and Shockey. According to the draft charts the difference between a 19 and 31 is about a 2nd rounder, the supposed asking price for shockey. Then we get Shockey and Sheppard and can pick one of the remaining DTs at 31, whether its Balmer or Laws.

I believe some form of this will happen. I'm not sure of the particulars, but it comes down to how much the Saints like Balmer. If they are really high on him, then it's our second rounder and/or Harper. If they aren't and figure Laws/Sims are equally as good, then it will be a #19 for #31 and Shockey swap. It is very conceivable that the only true holes on this team after the draft (barring injury) are at Safety and Right Tackle. That said, I believe KK can be a very serviceable safety and Zach Strief has huge potential. And a huge head. I think Molden (CB) makes a ton of sense in the 3rd round and the 5th - 8th can all be used to bring in safeties.

manningham for sure will be there ,but after the mary jane piece of work tests he won't be our board until the third or fourth

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom