Saints meeting with QB Clayton Tune (1 Viewer)

Competition for Jameis unless we keep 4 QBs. He’ll easily beat out Luton. He’s a high quality back up at least. I kinda feel like we owe it to Jameis to keep him on the roster because of his contract and taking a pay cut and all. I think we can afford to have 4 QBs given the nature of Taysom’s roles.

Tune will not stay on the practice squad if we draft him. Someone is going to pick him up.

Competition for Jameis unless we keep 4 QBs. He’ll easily beat out Luton. He’s a high quality back up at least. I kinda feel like we owe it to Jameis to keep him on the roster because of his contract and taking a pay cut and all. I think we can afford to have 4 QBs given the nature of Taysom’s roles.

Tune will not stay on the practice squad if we draft him. Someone is going to pick him up.
We have too much invested in Carr (and the rest of the team) to roll with a day three pick as his backup. Even the 49ers kept Jimmy G around with Purdy on the roster.

If we draft Tune, we may keep him on as a third QB if the NFL reinstates the emergency QB rule.

No, saints have to many other positions that are more important to draft then a QB that would likely be cut in camp

And I saw him play at UH, inconsistent and took sacks at times

We have too much invested in Carr (and the rest of the team) to roll with a day three pick as his backup.

Not sure I understand this statement, philosophically. I don’t believe who your starter is plays a role in the quality of your backup.

Maybe backup “type,” as far as play style, but not backup quality.

You either want a good quality backup or you don’t; mostly everyone chooses the former.

Not sure I understand this statement, philosophically. I don’t believe who your starter is plays a role in the quality of your backup.

Maybe backup “type,” as far as play style, but not backup quality.

You either want a good quality backup or you don’t; mostly everyone chooses the former.
Teams that want to be contenders don’t rely on a late draft pick to be the backup QB. Maybe in their second or third year in the system, but not as a rookie.

If the Titans could do it over again, they would have signed a veteran backup last year instead of depending on Willis, and they probably make the playoffs for the fourth year in a row.

Clayton Tune huh? Can he carry one? Would it be sweet music to our ears?

Potentially you use a 7th or bring in a UFA QB to see what they have. I have no issue with that since you can catch lightning in a bottle. Keep building through players we develop not FA.

Teams that want to be contenders don’t rely on a late draft pick to be the backup QB. Maybe in their second or third year in the system, but not as a rookie.

If the Titans could do it over again, they would have signed a veteran backup last year instead of depending on Willis, and they probably make the playoffs for the fourth year in a row.
Yeah, I think that’s a solid philosophy. If you have a rookie who comes in and plays really well, it’s a “good” problem you figure out later.

Like with SF and Brock Purdy or even Miami and Skylar Thompson. Thompson showed flashes and even played well in their playoff game, which allowed them to get a cheaper vet in free agency in Mike White.

I think the more typical situation is that you draft a guy that you expect to be the #3 in year 1, while you have your established #1 and veteran backup. Then you hope that in year 2 or beyond, they show enough to be worth the #2 spot or above.

I think any talk of a mid-late round QB displacing our #2 QB is rather premature. If (and I stress only 'if') it happened, it would mean they had a bright career arc in prospect. Think Mark Brunell-type outcome.

Yeah, I think that’s a solid philosophy. If you have a rookie who comes in and plays really well, it’s a “good” problem you figure out later.

Like with SF and Brock Purdy or even Miami and Skylar Thompson. Thompson showed flashes and even played well in their playoff game, which allowed them to get a cheaper vet in free agency in Mike White.
Yeah but Purdy and Thompson both were the third string QBs coming into the season not the direct backup. Then with the Dolphins signing White Thompson is still the number 3

Agreed.

My only point was that I think almost every team chooses to go with a competent, non-day 3 rookie type as a backup, regardless of who their starter is.

The Titans were kind of an anomaly, I think. And to a certain degree, Atlanta, though I believe Ridder was a day 2 guy.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom