Saints Mentioned as team to move to Los Angeles (1 Viewer)

Not strictly. I wouldn't rule expansion out just yet. The NFL, fundamentally, is based on an expanding business model. As soon as it stops expanding, they're going to get in real financial trouble (which is part of what all this "international" business is all about). A nice fat franchise fee has some allure.

I don't think the league is going to expand in North America anymore. Their next step is expanding overseas.

For the league to put a new team in L.A., they'd have to add in another team as well, unless they want to completely throw off the division and scheduling set up which, possible 17th game aside, is pretty perfect.

If they were to do this, the likely spot would be Toronto, but it seems quite evident that the Bills are feeling that territory out, and I doubt they'd install a team there AND keep the Bills in Buffalo.

I think the Raiders are going to move back there, personally.

What's terrible about this story is that the press keeps feeding into the NFLs leverage game. Franchises squeeze concessions out of cities by dangling the threat to move. The chump who wrote that article just gave 4 franchises extra push in their home cities by continuing to feed relocation rumors.

LA, so far, has been pretty good about keeping its mouth shut and not throwing gasoline on the fire. Note that no politician is quoted in the article. In fact, most of the quotes come from one guy, the developer, who claims no tax dollars are needed. Yeah, right. That's what they always say -- at first.

The developer has an $800 million stadium he wants to sell. Of course he his going to talk it up. Don't get me wrong -- I think LA gets a team eventually, but it would be nice if the media would stop playing the NFL's game for them and talking up all the angles.

Notice that ESPN and Sports Illustrated rarely talk about this junk. They know this kind of tongue flapping helps owners like Benson, and they aren't interested in being pawns in this game.

there is no way to spin the saints leaving a sold out dome brutha...
aint gonna happen. the public outcry would make the stuff that happened in cleveland look miniscule. there is no way we are gonna lose our team guys, relax...

Do you really think the NFL wants to take away a team from a city that had the greatest Natural Disaster in the history of the country?

If anything, the league should be suppling supplemental income for the team until the rebuilding process is complete with its Billion Dollar Budget.

Imagine that... the Saints in another relocation article. :rolleyes:

I wish they'd just leave it alone... but I guess they get paid to churn out articles.. so churn away...

True. Integrity and accuracy in journalism has been out of the equation for quite a while now.

It'd suck for you guys and I want the Saints to stay in New Orleans because that is where they need to be but I won't cry if they did move to Los Angeles. Just a hour away,I'd be at a Saints game and they'd likely train here in Oxnard (former home of the Cowboys training camp).

But as awesome as it would be having a team called the Los Angeles Saints (oxymoron at its finest), that Saints name is best served with the "New Orleans" in front of it.

I think many of you need to understand something when it comes to Benson and the complex relocation to Los Angeles paradigm. Benson does not want to sell the team. He has emphatically made this clear. The league and the community out here in Los Angeles have made it clear that they want local ownership, so if the Saints are to move to Los Angeles, then Benson must sell the team, which he has stated over and over that he will not. He has willed it to his grandaughter. I would not sweat it too much.

With that said, the state must find a way to build a new stadium. That would silence all talk and keep the Saints in the state indefinitely and get the Super Bowl back in New Orleans again.

I think many of you need to understand something when it comes to Benson and the complex relocation to Los Angeles paradigm. Benson does not want to sell the team. He has emphatically made this clear. The league and the community out here in Los Angeles have made it clear that they want local ownership, so if the Saints are to move to Los Angeles, then Benson must sell the team, which he has stated over and over that he will not. He has willed it to his grandaughter. I would not sweat it too much.

With that said, the state must find a way to build a new stadium. That would silence all talk and keep the Saints in the state indefinitely and get the Super Bowl back in New Orleans again.

beat me to it. :plus-un2:

to clear up a few things. as far as this developer building a stadium with out money from taxes, he can do it. this is one of if not the biggest developer in the country. the people out here do not want someone else's team except maybe the chargers which has a huge fan base in the LA market. and I doubt that they will even support an NFL team to start with, can you say Raiders, Rams. this is mostly about local business and politcos trying to make themselves look more important to the rest of the country. don't worry the Saints are not moving to LA ain't gonna happen

It'd suck for you guys and I want the Saints to stay in New Orleans because that is where they need to be but I won't cry if they did move to Los Angeles. Just a hour away,I'd be at a Saints game and they'd likely train here in Oxnard (former home of the Cowboys training camp).

But as awesome as it would be having a team called the Los Angeles Saints (oxymoron at its finest), that Saints name is best served with the "New Orleans" in front of it.

I'm going to pretend I didn't read this.

But seriously, can someone explain to me why the NFL is convinced that the third time is the charm? Why after two failed attempts, this third one would work? Is is purely because of the new stadium? The Colliseum just couldn't support the Raiders and Rams? My gut tells me that the two failed attempts had more to do then purely a bad stadium situation. Someone give me the facts.

I'm going to pretend I didn't read this.

But seriously, can someone explain to me why the NFL is convinced that the third time is the charm? Why after two failed attempts, this third one would work? Is is purely because of the new stadium? The Colliseum just couldn't support the Raiders and Rams? My gut tells me that the two failed attempts had more to do then purely a bad stadium situation. Someone give me the facts.

bad stadium+bad team= no one going to games

Im actually tired of worrying about the saints relocating, Jindal will fix all of this in his next meeting.. i believe.

I just recently (back in September) moved out here to the SF Bay area. Only being able to listen to 9er or Raider talk really sucks, but there is the occasional perk.
One of the stations up here has a "daily chat" with John Madden. During their talk yesterday, the issue of this stadium came up and the dj's were batting around the names brought up for possible relocation (the Saints, by the way, were NEVER brought up as one). Madden immediately chimes in with "...those teams are possibilities, but the team that has the best chance is the Rams."
He went on to say that he's friends with quite a few people "in the know" and now that the ownership of the team has passed on to the kids, they are looking to sell the team.

Sorry, no link as of yet, but I'm sure it's archived on that station's website - kinda like the stuff on 870 back home. I'll see if it can find it....

PS - I REALLY miss home...heh

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom