Saints Mock Draft (1 Viewer)

whodatdb

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Saints Final Roster and Draft Mock

I have this as if the same trade happens as the one in the Official Mock draft with the Bengals.

New Orleans trades their 1st (15) 3rd, and 5th to Cincinnati for their 1st (21), 2nd (56), and 3rd.

This makes sense because:

CIN are in need of a Safety and have to jump STL (pick 16) who need 2 Safeties. IIRC CIN has shown interest in Kenny Vaccaro. The Bengals also love big safeties and Kenny is 6'1. They can afford this because they have 2 2nd round picks (one from the Raiders for the Carson Palmer trade). Bengals also need a dynamic WR across AJ Green if they want to start doing something in the playoffs. Austin or Patterson could help them with that and one of them could be there at 15 (STL who picks at 16 also needs a legit #1 WR).

We do NOT get Asomugha in this situation.

2013 Mock Draft:

Jonathan Cyprien SS - IMO he has very good (Jairus Byrd-esque) range. He also hits like Landry. Combine those two together and he could be very good.

Jonathan-Cyprien.jpg

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/z1f2_CFMi6Q" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

FloridaInternational_logo.gif
Jonathan Cyprien, S, Florida International
Height: 6-0. Weight: 209. Arm: 30 1/2. Hand: 10 1/8.
40 Time: 4.56.
Projected Round (2013): 1-2.

3/30/13: Cyprien is one of those small-school players who really helped himself at the Senior Bowl. He made his presence felt all week. Cyprien was a tough defender who was hitting hard in the ground game. He also really impressed with his pass coverage by demonstrating the ability to run with receivers and cover tight ends. The passing-driven NFL is looking for safeties with that skill set.

The senior led his team with 93 tackles in 2012. He also contributed four interceptions, five passes broken up and one forced fumble. There is a lot to like about Cyprien, and it looks like he has improved his draft stock to contend for the first round. Cyprien had good performances at the Combine and his pro day.

2. Justin Hunter WR - He would probably be a top 10 pick if he hadn't hurt his knee a few years back. He is slowly gaining his explosiveness back and already ran a 4.44 at the combine. Combine that with his 6'4 height and he could finally give us that dynamic #1 WR to take some coverage off of Colston. He has a Calvin Johnson/Randy Moss type ceiling.

Justin-Hunter.jpg

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/PRcPreQbzRw" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

Tennessee_logo.gif
Justin Hunter**, WR, Tennessee
Height: 6-4. Weight: 196. Arm: 33.28. Hand: 9.38.
40 Time: 4.44.
Projected Round (2013): 1-2.

3/23/13: At the Combine, Hunter gave proof that the lanky, blazing fast receiver from 2010 and 2011 was on his way back. He ran extremely well in the 40 and looked good in the field drills. WalterFootball.com was told by scouts that Hunter should be a first-round pick with his rare combination of size and speed.

Hunter seemed to be gradually regaining his speed and explosiveness following his 2011 knee injury. He totaled 73 receptions for 1,083 yards and nine touchdowns this year. Hunter played better in the second half of the season, including massive games against Troy and Missouri. He should become more of a deep threat again once he gets further removed from his injury.

8/17/12: Hunter looked poised for a mammoth season last year, posting 16 receptions for 302 yards and two scores in the first two games of 2011. However against Florida, on a routine 12-yard catch early in the third game, Hunter went down with a torn ACL following a leaping reception. It was a surprising injury as he did not take a shot to the knee, or have another player fall into his leg in a manner that typically causes knee ligament tears.

Prior to the injury, Hunter looked like a truly rare receiver who is extremely tall, but has the speed of a burner wide out. He had 16 receptions for 403 yards and two touchdowns as a freshman in 2010.

Hunter is healthy and ready to go in 2012. He played in the Volunteers' full-contact scrimmage without incident. Hunter will match up against the top cornerback in the nation in North Carolina State's David Amerson in Tennessee's first game of the season . If Hunter can regain his pre-injury form, he could be a first-round pick in 2013 or 2014.

3.Tyrann Mathieu CB - Rob Ryan showed so much interest in Tyrann that I think he really may be targeting him in the 3rd. Tyrann has elite potential as a nickel back because of his blue chip instincts and play making ability. Rob Ryan will most likely put a system and people around him to keep how out of trouble like what Tyrann said on NFL AM. Tyrann take the slot with Robinson and Greer competiting for the #2 outside job.

628x471.jpg

LSU_logo.gif
Tyrann Mathieu*, CB/S, LSU
Height: 5-9. Weight: 186.
40 Time: 4.50.
Projected Round (2013): 3-4.

3/30/13: Mathieu had to interview well at the Combine to help his draft stock. That was more important than excelling in the field workouts. He did well in the 40 and in the field drills, but it is unknown how many teams bought into him being a changed man or have ruled him out. There is talk that Mathieu could be selected in the later portion of the third round.

LSU kicked him off the football team late last summer, and he decided to check into a rehab facility for substance-abuse issues rather than transferring down a level to play. The off-the-field issues continued for Mathieu with a drug arrest alongside some former teammates in October.

The honey badger was one of the best defensive players in college football during the 2011 season. He was a finalist for the Heisman Trophy and had a massive impact for the Tigers. Mathieu plays much bigger than his measurements, and anyone who watched LSU the over the 2010 and 2011 seasons can't help but see that he is a pure football player with off-the-charts instinct.

Mathieu led the Tigers in tackles in 2011 with 76. The sophomore also had 7.5 tackles for a loss, 1.5 sacks, six forced fumbles, two interceptions and nine passes broken up. LSU lined him up as an outside corner, slot corner and safety. He was very dangerous in the slot. Additionally, Mathieu served as a punt returner in 2011, averaging 16 yards per return with two brought back for touchdowns.

The 5-foot-9, 175-pounder was a dynamic play-maker for the Tigers since Day 1. As a freshman, Mathieu compiled 57 tackles with 8.5 tackles for a loss, 4.5 sacks, five forced fumbles, two interceptions, seven passes broken up and two interceptions.

4. Jordan Mills LT - A great pass protecting OL and can hold his own against speed and power rushers. A good players to challenge Brown and Strief for one of their starting jobs. He has elite potential as a pass protector in our system and could do well holding down one of starting OT spots for the rest of Brees career.

78_Jordan_Mills_RT_La_Tech_display_image.jpg

LouisianaTech_logo.gif
Jordan Mills, OT, Louisiana Tech
Height: 6-5. Weight: 316. Arm: 34.08
Projected 40 Time: 5.37.
Projected Round (2013): 3-5.

3/16/13: Mills was a 2-year starter who helped pave the way for a good rushing offense. He also did well as a pass-protector.

Mills really helped himself with a strong Senior Bowl. He did a good job of fighting off speed-rushers and powerful linemen. Mills didn't win all of his reps, but he held his own. Mills also displayed a real mean streak. He blocked through the whistle and was ready to mix it up. Mills could be sleeper who turns into a player in the NFL. Some teams might move him inside to guard.

6. Quanterus Smith OLB - He tied for leading the nation in sacks with 12.5 sacks and 16.5 tackles for a loss
before getting injured. If he can get back to his pre injury form he would be a great pick up for us and would probably be able to play off PUP the next season. The guy DOMINATED against Alabama who is considered by many to be the most pro-ready line in college. He had 3 sacks against Alabama. He could be a very good situational pass rusher until he regains his full explosion from his ACL injury last year and then he can compete for one of the OLB spots.

hi-res-5695690_crop_650.jpg

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/QDGmoMYAKZw" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="560"></iframe>

1. WesternKentucky_logo.gif
    Quanterus Smith, DE, Western Kentucky
    Height: 6-5. Weight: 250. Arm: 33.28.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.69.
    Projected Round (2013): 5-7.

3/2/13: A late season ACL tear sunk Smith's draft stock even though he recorded 12.5 sacks in 2012. He also had 38 tackles with 18.5 tackles for a loss and three forced fumbles. Smith returned a fumble 75 yards for a touchdown in the fourth quarter against Florida Atlantic.

Smith started the year well with a three-sack game against Alabama. He destroyed Crimson Tide right tackle D.J. Fluker. Smith's sacks came in bunches this season. He has four games with sacks and eight games without any. Smith had five sacks against Florida International.

In 2011, Smith totaled 7.5 sacks, 38 tackles and 11 tackles for a loss. He had 47 tackles with four sacks as a sophomore in 2010.

Smith would be higher in the rankings if he wasn't so undersized. Smith looks like he will need to move to outside linebacker in a 3-4 defense if he can't add a significant amount of weight.

UDFA:

Jordan Rodgers QB - Very similar type of player to Brees and Daniel. Should be work in this system. He is Aaron Rodgers brother so maybe he gets that good one day too. He looked like a decent player at Vanderbilt so coming to a great offensive coaching staff like the Saints should take his game to another level. He has shown he is good with NOT losing the ball with his low interception total and that is something you always want from your backup so your other players can atleast keep you in the game.

0e25015bd071769586e66bdd14256425.jpeg

1. Vanderbilt_logo.gif
    Jordan Rodgers, QB, Vanderbilt
    Height: 6-1. Weight: 205.
    Projected 40 Time: 4.69.
    Projected Round (2013): 7-FA.

3/23/13: Rodgers had some good moments as Vanderbilt won nine games this year. The senior completed 60 percent of his passes for 2,539 yards, 15 touchdowns and five interceptions. He did not participate in the Combine.

8/16/12: The younger brother of Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers, Jordan Rodgers is a sleeper prospect despite the superstar status of his big brother. Jordan Rodgers started out the 2011 season as the backup before an injury moved him into the lineup. He completed 50 percent of his passes for 1,524 yards with nine touchdowns and 10 interceptions in his one season of playing time for Vanderbilt.

Rodgers has a quality arm, but is undersized. He was a backup in 2010 after having played in junior college for two seasons (2009-2008). Rodgers needs a big season to make sure he gets drafted.

Final Depth Chart:

QB: Brees,
Jordan Rodgers (UDFA)
RB: Ingram, Thomas, Sproles, Ivory
FB: Collins
WR:Colston, Justin Hunter, Moore, Morgan, Toon, Hakim, Cadet
TE: Graham, Benjamin Watson, Higgins
RT: Strief, Jones
RG: Evans, Tiller
C: De La Puente
LG: Grubbs, Olsen
LT: Brown, Jordan Mills
LDE: Jordan, Johnson
NT: Bunkley, Hicks (can play both NT and DE)
RDE: Hicks, Kenyon Coleman, Smith
LOLB: Wilson, Quanterus Smith
LILB: Vilma, Hawthorne, Chamberlain, Herring
RILB: Lofton, Hawthorne (can play both ILB spots)
ROLB: Galette, Victor Butler
CB: Keenan Lewis, Greer, Tyrann Mathieu, Robinson, Jenkins (depth for FS and CB; used in certain packages.)
SS:
Jonathan Cyprien, Harper
FS:
Abdul-Quddus, Jenkins, Bush
P:Morstead
K: Hartley
LS: Drescher

BOLD = new additions

One question....who would have to be available at 15 for Cincy to want to make the trade in your opinion?
Good post...i hope we can make a deal like this.

Like the Jordan Mills pick also

2013 NFL Draft: Louisiana Tech Offensive Tackle Jordan Mills

Mills plays right tackle for Louisiana Tech and I asked him if he wanted to play on the left side at the all-star games to show that he can play there.

&#8220;They can go back and see from my freshman year that I played it. It's been three years since I played left tackle.&#8221; He said that he definitely wanted to play on the left side and &#8220;just because I played right side doesn't mean I can't play on the left side, I can also play both and be versatile.&#8221;

One question....who would have to be available at 15 for Cincy to want to make the trade in your opinion?
Good post...i hope we can make a deal like this.
They are in need of a Safety and jump STL who need 2 Safeties to get Kenny Vaccaro. They love big safeties and Kenny is 6'1. They also can afford this because they have 2 2nd round picks. Bengals also need a dynamic WR across AJ Green if they want to start doing something in the playoffs. Austin or Patterson could be help them with that and they could also both be there at 15 (STL who picks at 16 also needs a legit #1 WR).

we need to stay put at 15
for who exactly? so would you rather Mingo (or whoever you want at 15) over the FS with probably the best ceiling in the draft and a 6'4 WR with 4.4 speed with one of the best ceilings in the draft? Who do you think we will get at 15 that will be better than these 2?

In your draft has ogeltree been picked yet? If not Id prefer that pick, if so I'm ok with the 1st rd pick also I think if we get a second rd pick we stay defense espically since we didn't get nnamdi.

Don't love it, don't hate it, but i'll give you an A for effort and creativity.

I will say if Jarvis Jones is available at 15 we should take him... If we can trade down and get a 2nd rounder in the deal i'd be all for it, depending who we get in the first... I would love to trade down and get Ogletree... Admittedly i haven't watched much on Cybrien, but from what i see on that video he has some of the bad habits our current safeties have; looking for a huge hit and not following the ball, when he does follow the ball he can catch tho, so that's something.

Don't love it, don't hate it, but i'll give you an A for effort and creativity.

I will say if Jarvis Jones is available at 15 we should take him... If we can trade down and get a 2nd rounder in the deal i'd be all for it, depending who we get in the first... I would love to trade down and get Ogletree... Admittedly i haven't watched much on Cybrien, but from what i see on that video he has some of the bad habits our current safeties have; looking for a huge hit and not following the ball, when he does follow the ball he can catch tho, so that's something.
The thing about Cyprien though is his range. He has very good range and will make WRs think twice about coming near him like Landry, Goldson, and Barron. He can cover a lot of ground pretty fast and that can help a ton in the pro when you are playing center fielder or half or the field and trying to bait the QB into throws. Byrd, Reed, Earl Thomas, Polamalu and Eric Berry are the only ones IMO in the league that have shown that kind of range.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom