Saints Mock Drafts (1 Viewer)

brickfish

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Went over to Fanspeak to run a couple of mock drafts. https://fanspeak.com/ontheclock-nfl-mock-draft-simulator/index.php

Draft #1
1. LB - Patrick Queen LSU
3.TE - Adam Trautman DAYTON
4.G Netane Muti FRESNO STATE
5.CB Lavert Hill MICHIGAN

6. WR Aaron Fuller WASHINGTON

Draft #2
1. QB - Jordan Love UTAH STATE <--- Too good to pass-up. In reality, maybe we trade-down here?
3. G - Ben Bredeson MICHIGAN
4. LB - Markus Bailet PURDUE
5. S Alohi Gilman NOTRE DAME

6. WR Ben Victor OHOI STATE
Alternate in 6th: NT Bravion Roy BAYLOR

In both drafts I pretty much took BPA. Despite the draft being deep in WRs, none really fell the Saints way based on where we pick so I "reached" for a WR both times in the 6th. Running these mock drafts always helps me figure out what we need in FA. I think we def need to sign a speed or slot WR and hope some of our developmental WRs can step-up. Expecting someone from the draft to contribute is risky. Good chance we can get a G, LB or DB. There are a ton. Lots of RBs available too if we're interested.

I like the 2nd one better.

I know we need a guard but Payton doesn’t draft guards, he drafts OT’s that may not have the quickness or footwork to play OT and moves them to guard example (Peat, Nicks, Evans). So more than likely unless a student OG falls, we’ll take a OT in the 3-5

Running these mock drafts always helps me figure out what we need in FA.
Seems backwards to me. Makes more sense (to me) to evaluate the FA market first to determine its strengths and weaknesses, and develop a strategy for whom to target. Depending on how effective you were in FA, then develop your draft board based on your remaining needs and also on the strengths and weaknesses of the draft class.

I'm not taking a linebacker who can't rush the passer in round 1 over ones who can.

Terrell Lewis DE/OLB
Josh Uche DE/OLB

Or a Wideout or guard like Muti in rd 1

I wouldn't mind taking DE/OL in the first 3 picks provided it goes like this:

1)Terrell Lewis RD 1

2) MLB Shaun Bradley in rd 3.

3) OLB Michael Pinkney in RD 4

Round 1: S Grant Delpit
I never thought this guy would see outside of top 10 picks on draft day. Can play any role at S and do it at an elite level.

Round 3: WR Michael Pittman Jr
NFL bloodlines, great size, speed, and production at USC. Biletnikoff award finalist

Round 4: RB Cam Akers
Very athletic RB with good size and good production at FSU

Round 5: DL Rashard Lawrence
Never thought he would fall this low either. Unheralded hero on the LSU defense. Does not mind doing the dirty work, and does it well. Shows up in big games and big moments. Big impact on the Auburn, Alabama, and playoff games

Round 6: G Jack Driscoll
Athletic and versatile OL who can play multiple positions on the line.

I like the 2nd one better.

I know we need a guard but Payton doesn’t draft guards, he drafts OT’s that may not have the quickness or footwork to play OT and moves them to guard example (Peat, Nicks, Evans). So more than likely unless a student OG falls, we’ll take a OT in the 3-5
When you run a zone blocking scheme versus a power scheme, you need OL more fleet of foot. Therefore, a straight up power guard is essentially useless.

Would love to have Queen or Love. WR can be had in the third.

Queen, possible. Should be good, but I'm not sold. LB is a huge mystery as to whether they can play in the NFL. I think Payton has been burned with LB's too many times and will sign another FA to help Davis.

Not very high on Love, he has has a Ty'Rod Taylor vibe, or maybe a little bit of Kaepernick. (QB play, not attitude).

Last edited:
Queen, possible. Should be good, but not sold. LB is a huge mystery as to whether they can play in the NFL. I think Payton has been burned with LB's too many times and will sign another FA to help Davis.

Not very high on Love, he has has a Ty'Rod Taylor vibe, or maybe a little bit of Kaepernick. (QB play, not attitude).

Totally agree on our lack of luck with drafting backers. Heck we couldn’t do it with Haslett either.

Don’t like either. Gotta get a new weapon for Drew with the 1st pick whether we stay put or trade back

We probably are gonna draft Ben Victor tho

Jedrick Wills RT was there in the first in one draft. Supposedly he has short arms. Would he be a good guard candidate for Payton?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom