Saints Mock/FA 1/17/2008 (1 Viewer)

Don't forget we have alleman at guard as well.

I like the signings and i think w/ everyone else on harris. What about these 4 rounds....

1. (15 thru det) kenny phillips FS - I have a feeling he will drop
2. (41) curtis lofton MLB
2b (47) ray rice RB - especially with duece considering retirement
3 (74) ezra butler OLB
4 (109ish - don't know with comp picks) - demario pressley DT

Good job. Alot of research went into that. I like the premise of Defense first and the FA signings. Unfortunately, we will need a little more to win the SB.

I heard somewhere on here that Alleman wasn't progressing as well as everyone had hoped. I'm still thinking that Faneca would be the best pickup and re-signing Faine for one more year. This would give us an upgrade along the line without having to have a complete turnover. I still think Bushrod is going to be the Saints safety net in case Brown's knees don't improve and his play continues like that of last year.

I love the idea of trading down with Detroit, as they will more than likely need some help along their Oline and the value in trade points make sense.

I'm not a fan of taking a project TE in the third, though. I think we could be better served at getting a safety in the third that could compete against Bullocks for the starter spot. I'd rather we go with our project picks on the second day (rounds 5-7). We just have too many holes on Defense not to select someone who could make an impact. Also, with the holes we have at LB, selecting a project LB would benefit us on Special Teams immediately!!! I'd like to see us select an Olineman in either round 3 or 4.

I'm not sure about the QB project in round 7. Yes, Martin is getting up there in age and Payton does love projects, but I have a feeling he would love a small school project QB and we can find one that goes undrafted. They are more than likely going to be practice squad material at best.

I won't put names down for draft selections, because so much is going to change with the combine, but here are some of my thoughts:

1. Free Agency: Florence, Faneca, Trufant or Brigss....target both and take whichever one signs first.

I agree that Florence should be a target for us. He should have little to no problems starting over David. Target Trufant, as we don't know the status of MM and this would be a great safety net for us. If MM comes back, that would give us MM, Trufant, Florence, Young and David. I wouldn't be upset with that at all.

2. Draft: Assuming we could do the trade with Detroit

Round 1. LB
Round 2. A: CB B: DT
Round 3: Olineman or Safety
Round 4: Traded away to Detroit
Round 5: Olineman or Safety...whichever didn't get selected in round 3
Round 6. TE
Round 7: WR

This would address our NEEDS in FA of adding veterans who can produce at key postions, having impact players on defense through the draft in the early rounds, and adding youth at key positons on offense.

I like Okam in theory, but there are big doubts about his mentality and effort level...takes plays off etc. which he can probably ge away with being so big at the college level, but wouldn't cut it in the NFL...another Sullivan?

Other than that, and the fact I think Lofton is a reach at #15, nice effort!

I wouldn't mind Florence either, yes he's a number 2, but he's definitely beter than alot of what we have, and, unlike David, he fits our scheme fairly closely...

Aaaarrrrggghhhh....I'm not sure I can cope with 3 more months of this!!! how long till the Combine? At least then we'll know whose risen and whose dropped alot better...

Also, in terms of trades, how closesly do GM's stick to the "Trade value" thing?

I know it's really complicated, but I'd be happy to trade down with the Bears to 14 (pick up their third) then trade again with the Skins (to 21, pick up their 2nd, give up our fourth) which matches pretty closely with the draft pick values (unless I've botched it)

Both would be interested, IMO - Bears for Woodson (worries about Carolina snagging him) and Skins for Campbell (Massive DE, a number of teams might snage him between 14 and 21)

If so, we have picks at First Round - 21 Second Round - 10 and 21 Third Round 10 and 14, no fourth rounder...

Pick up guys like Cason/Talib/Mckelvin higher up if available, Ikegwuonnu lower down...Jerod Mayo, Highsmith, Crable all might be available in the 2nd, Mayo maybe even in the third, plus we can get a bit more quality depth with 5 picks in the first 3 rounds...1-2 LB's 1-2 Corners 1-2DT's...plus someone on offence as a token to Payton.

I love the QB pick in the 6th...as I'm sure Payton would too...develop a gifted youngster from a small school...mmm...

I hate the Florence pick up. And why do we still have these "resign marques Colston threads?!" He becomes a free agent in '09, we have more priorities, and I will promise you we will not let him go. Same with Evans, he aint going nowhere.

I also hate your first round pick. Lofton will probably be availible in the second, plus Ilike Dan Conner much more.

Special note: When you don't spell a player's name on our roster for more than 2 years you lose all credibility, i.e. Martens. Not only did you pluralize his name but you used an 'e' instead of an 'i.'

Here’s my crack at Free-Agency and the 2008 Draft:

Saints re-sign:

C Jeff Faine – I’m not a big fan of Jeff Faine’s, but I think the Saints are… I think he’s a leader on the O-line, and continuity is good.

C/OG Jonathon Goodwin – Goodwin played well in place of a hurt Jeff Faine last season, and his versatility in being able to play both OG and C is valuable. He could step into the starting line-up in place of Jamar Nesbit at LG as well as back-up at C.

WR David Patten – Patten did well in his 1st season with the Saints, and was a solid veteran presence. He has good hands, knows the system, has the trust of the coaching staff, good speed, and a low price tag.

WR Terrance Copper – Copper came to the Saints from the Cowboys when Sean Payton took over… He’s a solid STer and a nice 4th or 5th WR. He should also come relatively cheap.

TE Billy Miller – Miller has shown himself to be an effective TE for the Saints, and QB Drew Brees looks for him when he’s out in routes. Eric Johnson was outplayed by Miller, so Miller gets the new deal.

WR Marques Colston (extension) – The Saints really need to take care of both Colston and OG Jahri Evans, but I think it will be Colston first. Evans will get worked out, but it might take a bit longer.

*** Those signings right there are going to use up a good bit of the Saints’ cap space. Free-agency will most likely not be the big-time, wheeling-and-dealing, blockbuster signing, time everyone expects every offseason… only to be disappointed.

Free-Agent Signings:

DT Ethan Kelley – At 6’2, 338 and still very young, Kelley would be a nice addition for the Saints. He could play along side Hollis Thomas for a year or two before taking over for the big man.

LB Victor Hobson – We are all hoping for Vilma from the Jets, but Hobson is the guy we end up with. He can play inside or outside and is still fairly young.

CB Michael Lehan – The 5th year veteran out of the U. of Minnesota started 14 games for the Dolphins last season, and has pretty good size and speed for the position. Fred Thomas is finished and with Mike McKenzie’s ’08 season status uncertain, the Saints will need someone that can play right now. Lehan is the type of value FA the Saints typically go after.

2008 Draft:

1. Kenny Phillips, FS, Miami – Phillips will be a top 10 pick after the combine and his workouts. The Saints have bigger needs, but Phillips is the pick at 10. He’s got a chance to be the type of playmaker the Saints defense has been missing for years.

2. Jerod Mayo, LB, Tennessee – Mayo can play inside or outside, and has loads of potential. The Saints need more athleticism at LB, and Mayo definitely brings that to the table.

3. Chris Ellis, DE, Va. Tech – Ellis is a great value pick here. He brings a great motor and ton of athleticism off of the edge, and should help the Saints pass-rush.

4. Steve Slaton, RB, W. Virginia – The Saints grab a RB in the 4th round for the 2nd straight year, only this time it pays off. Slaton can give the Saints a gamebreaker at KR, and will give the Saints an insurance policy on their offense for Reggie Bush.

5. Jacob Tamme, TE, Kentucky – I think Tamme could slip because of his size and blocking as a TE. He’s a bit of ‘tweener, but if he’s available here the Saints should jump all over him. Sean Payton loves weapons for his offense.

6. Zach Bowman, CB, Nebraska – Injuries have really taken their toll on Zach Bowman. If he had been able to stay healthy, he’d be a much higher regarded prospect. At this point in the draft, the Saints take a shot at him. Could be a huge steal.

7. Wesley Woodyard, SS/OLB, Kentucky – A really good football player and team player, but might not have a position for the pros. I project him as a WLB, but he could be a terrific STer right away.

Good job on all these mocks but a few things concern me about a few players you have us selecting. Curtis Lofton certainly looks the part in his highlights films, check that he looks like a freaking stud! However, I have seen on more than a few draft scout sites that he runs in the high 4.7s. I know, I know, I know that 40 times are way overrated but speed is what we need at MLB. Simoneau's lack of speed killed us in the middle this year. Saying that, if we could get Lofton in the second round then we should do it. My choice for drafting a MLB is Tavares Gooden out of Miami. He runs like a deer and the knock on him is that he didn't start until his senior year. But when the guy in front of you is Jon Beason, the runner-up to defensive rookie of the year, getting on the field may have been a little bit hard.

Regarding Frank Okam, my wife is a big Texas fan so I got to see them play a lot. He just doesn't seem to TRY all that hard. Kinda lazy in fact. He is this years Alan Branch, all the physical ability in the world, great size, great athleticism, but no motivation whatsoever.

Last edited:

Saints re-sign:

C Jeff Faine – I’m not a big fan of Jeff Faine’s, but I think the Saints are… I think he’s a leader on the O-line, and continuity is good.

C/OG Jonathon Goodwin – Goodwin played well in place of a hurt Jeff Faine last season, and his versatility in being able to play both OG and C is valuable. He could step into the starting line-up in place of Jamar Nesbit at LG as well as back-up at C.

WR David Patten – Patten did well in his 1st season with the Saints, and was a solid veteran presence. He has good hands, knows the system, has the trust of the coaching staff, good speed, and a low price tag.

WR Terrance Copper – Copper came to the Saints from the Cowboys when Sean Payton took over… He’s a solid STer and a nice 4th or 5th WR. He should also come relatively cheap.

TE Billy Miller – Miller has shown himself to be an effective TE for the Saints, and QB Drew Brees looks for him when he’s out in routes. Eric Johnson was outplayed by Miller, so Miller gets the new deal.

WR Marques Colston (extension) – The Saints really need to take care of both Colston and OG Jahri Evans, but I think it will be Colston first. Evans will get worked out, but it might take a bit longer.

*** Those signings right there are going to use up a good bit of the Saints’ cap space. Free-agency will most likely not be the big-time, wheeling-and-dealing, blockbuster signing, time everyone expects every offseason… only to be disappointed.

Free-Agent Signings:

DT Ethan Kelley – At 6’2, 338 and still very young, Kelley would be a nice addition for the Saints. He could play along side Hollis Thomas for a year or two before taking over for the big man.

LB Victor Hobson – We are all hoping for Vilma from the Jets, but Hobson is the guy we end up with. He can play inside or outside and is still fairly young.

CB Michael Lehan – The 5th year veteran out of the U. of Minnesota started 14 games for the Dolphins last season, and has pretty good size and speed for the position. Fred Thomas is finished and with Mike McKenzie’s ’08 season status uncertain, the Saints will need someone that can play right now. Lehan is the type of value FA the Saints typically go after.

2008 Draft:

1. Kenny Phillips, FS, Miami – Phillips will be a top 10 pick after the combine and his workouts. The Saints have bigger needs, but Phillips is the pick at 10. He’s got a chance to be the type of playmaker the Saints defense has been missing for years.

2. Jerod Mayo, LB, Tennessee – Mayo can play inside or outside, and has loads of potential. The Saints need more athleticism at LB, and Mayo definitely brings that to the table.

3. Chris Ellis, DE, Va. Tech – Ellis is a great value pick here. He brings a great motor and ton of athleticism off of the edge, and should help the Saints pass-rush.

4. Steve Slaton, RB, W. Virginia – The Saints grab a RB in the 4th round for the 2nd straight year, only this time it pays off. Slaton can give the Saints a gamebreaker at KR, and will give the Saints an insurance policy on their offense for Reggie Bush.

5. Jacob Tamme, TE, Kentucky – I think Tamme could slip because of his size and blocking as a TE. He’s a bit of ‘tweener, but if he’s available here the Saints should jump all over him. Sean Payton loves weapons for his offense.

6. Zach Bowman, CB, Nebraska – Injuries have really taken their toll on Zach Bowman. If he had been able to stay healthy, he’d be a much higher regarded prospect. At this point in the draft, the Saints take a shot at him. Could be a huge steal.

7. Wesley Woodyard, SS/OLB, Kentucky – A really good football player and team player, but might not have a position for the pros. I project him as a WLB, but he could be a terrific STer right away.

I like what you did with the off season and for some reason I keep thinking we will take Phillips in round one. A couple of guys I have not seen mentioned are Erin Henderson (LB Maryland Projected: 2nd to early 3rd round) and if for some reason the saints do end up pulling the trade as stated in this post I would not mind them looking at Martellus Bennett (TE Texas A&M Projected: Late 1st to Mid Second) for one of the picks in the second if he is still there.

And as a QB "project" why not Bobby Reid from Oklahoma State...... Pretty much all the projections I have seen on him have him going undrafted couldn't hurt to bring him in for a look the guy has raw talent.

I like most of your ideas except this one. Slaton is a smaller back and if we take a RB I would like a more power back to compliment Bush....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom