Saints Mt. Rushmore (1 Viewer)

Booker

All-Pro
Reaction score
On PFT I noticed they're doing a "Mt. Rushmore" for each team, so far having done a couple of NFC East teams, but it made me think about who I would want to be represented as the greatest four players for the Saints.

The first three are pretty much no brainers. Drew Brees (duh). Rickey Jackson and Willie Roaf are both Hall of Famers, so they would be logical additions. That leaves just one spot available to really debate.

There are a number of players that merit consideration for the last spot (Horn, Martin, Swilling, Mills, Andersen), but in my mind it comes down to a couple of Ole Miss alumni -- Archie Manning and Deuce McAllister. Archie was the greatest player during the first half of the franchise's history, but his teams never saw much success and his individual achievements and records have pretty much all been surpassed. Deuce saw a little more team success but still only played on one playoff team (2006 season). He also set and still holds pretty much all of the teams rushing records.

Deuce is one of my all time favorite players, but ultimately I think the fourth should be Archie, so that each of the four would represent a different era in Saints football.

So that's my four -- Brees, Roaf, Jackson, Manning. Anybody have thoughts otherwise?

I called WWL and they said it should be Bobby H, Deke B, Buddy D and Kenny W.

Hokie, Henderson and Korte are alternates.

The OP is referring to this article on PFT:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/05/07/pfts-mt-rushmore-series-launches-next-month/

The rules state that it can be players, coaches, owners, or ANYBODY in the Saints past or present. Choose 4.

So many to choose from. I'm gonna go with:

Brees, Jackson, Manning and Sean Payton.

Honorable Mentions:

Deuce McAllister, Willie Roaf, Sam Mills, Steve Gleason

I left Roaf out because he was with the Chiefs for so long. I have a hard time leaving Sean Payton out of it. He pretty much turned our team into something better than it has ever been. I'm not sure how he can be left out :idunno:

Are only players eligible? Or are coaches/GMs/owners eligible also?

It can be players, coaches, or anybody with the Saints. The OP made a mistake by saying only players can be voted for. PFT specifically said it can be coaches or anybody in the organization.

With that said, how many people here are gonna leave Sean Payton off the mountain?

I would go Brees, Jackson, Gleason, and Payton.

Therefore you cover each aspect of the game: offense, defense, special teams, and coaching/admin. Not to mention, arguably the best at each of their respective positions. :gosaints:

Brees, Jackson, Mora and Payton. Mora turned them into a winner despite no playoff success.

Payton, Brees, Manning, Jackson with Roaf and Deuce as alternates..

For a significant moments Mt Rushmore, we put Steve Gleason's blocked punt, Hartley's NFCCG FG, the Superbowl "Ambush", and "Hakim drops the ball"..

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom