Saints must figure out a way to draft Mac Jones (1 Viewer)

No2DC

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I kind of agree with this. Here are the Alabama QBs under Saban who benefited from insane talent at the WR and RB positions and didn’t translate to NFL success:

A. J. McCarron
Greg McElroy
Brodie Croyle

jury still out:
Tua and Jalen Hurts (😑)
Kinda like USC. I think the combine will tell a lot.

gavinj

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
I dunno for sure, but both Fields and Jones look like a couple of land mines to me. A couple of teams are going to end up stepping on them. Hope it’s not the Saints.

NOFALCONS10

Not a part of your system
Reaction score
at this point,I can’t even argue against your views because you have proven to know your shirt.

im curious...who would you prefer the Saints draft
My realistic cloud of first round players consists of a few names depending on who stays and who leaves at QB, S, DE, TE and CB.

1) Mac Jones QB
2) Zaven Collins MLB
3)Pat Freijermouth TE
4)Carlos Basham DE
4)Tamarrion Terry WR

I like several CBs and Ss but I I don't like giving them a final grade until after the combine because speed is most import in the secondary.

The wildcard is that the Saints could always simply draft another offensive Lineman.

I kind of agree with this. Here are the Alabama QBs under Saban who benefited from insane talent at the WR and RB positions and didn’t translate to NFL success:

A. J. McCarron
Greg McElroy
Brodie Croyle

jury still out:
Tua and Jalen Hurts (😑)

You can say the same thing about Jim Chaney system QBs at Purdue and elsewhere.

"Chaney has coached quarterbacks such as Drew Brees, Kyle Orton, Tyler Bray, Brandon Allen, and Jake Fromm, and he’s developed others into good college QBs like Jonathan Crompton and Nathan Peterman."

Pensacola

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
When he gets to the NFL, his team won’t be like the high school varsity team playing the JV team anymore. Then add the speed of the game for someone with little mobility. Could get ugly!

I’m kinda hoping one of our divisional opponents (Falcons, Panthers) waste a first or second round pick on butterball :ROFLMAO: ...

E0AC7A1A-B552-41A3-A756-B76B2A03B692.jpeg

BreesHOF2024

Veteran
Reaction score
Mac Jones sucks lol. The two times on Monday he got pressured he turned the ball over and got injured. He's not even the best QB on his team, Bryce Young is 3x the QB he is.

HouseCall

Resist, Ronald, resist!
Reaction score
When he gets to the NFL, his team won’t be like the high school varsity team playing the JV team anymore. Then add the speed of the game for someone with little mobility. Could get ugly!

I’m kinda hoping one of our divisional opponents (Falcons, Panthers) waste a first or second round pick on butterball :ROFLMAO: ...

Tom Brady at the end of his college career.

B3PCB4SZWAI6VOS4EUBQ3NKZXA.jpg

NOFALCONS10

Reaction score
Drew Brees behind a great Oline still has to display Drew Brees-level accuracy.

Drew Brees won the superbowl with guys like Potential HOF Jhari Evan's, pro bowlers Carl Nick's, and Zach Streif. I think even bushrod made a pro bowl or two.

The oline argument is silly.

You still have to throw on target at the end of the day.

Nonsense.

Reaction score
Firmly believe the first pick will be an OT. Maybe (hopefully), an every down LB to pair with Davis. Kwon allowed Davis to “free lance” a little more.
Sean Payton will bring in a FA QB if the price is right as insurance. He will let Taysom and that QB fight it out to be the starter.
Just my opinion.

NOFALCONS10

Reaction score
Let's just dial up Garrett Grayson and Sean Canfield after we sign a line full of all-pro linemen and expect Drew Brees level results.

How come no one's ever thought of that before?

BreesHOF2024

Veteran
Reaction score
Let's just dial up Garrett Grayson and Sean Canfield after we sign a line full of all-pro linemen and expect Drew Brees level results.

How come no one's ever thought of that before?
That's fitting because that's about what we'd get with Mac Jones.

NOFALCONS10

Reaction score
I hear you about MT never really going up against elite college CBs, but that is not the end all/be all to whether someone will be great at a skills position. You can use that argument for QBs, but skills position players are different. It’s easy for a QB to beast if he clearly has the most weapons, along with the best weapons. Skills position players have these little nuances to their game, that displays how superior they can be. I once watched videos on Amari Cooper training before the draft. Just workout videos on how he worked on his footwork. I was blown way. I knew after watching those videos, that he would have a good NFL career. He did it in his games and he clearly was working on perfecting his craft off the field....couple that with god-given talent. Some players just more dedicated more than others, by putting in the time and patience. And MT was definitely more dedicated more than others.
I hear you about MT never really going up against elite college CBs, but that is not the end all/be all to whether someone will be great at a skills position. You can use that argument for QBs, but skills position players are different. It’s easy for a QB to beast if he clearly has the most weapons, along with the best weapons. Skills position players have these little nuances to their game, that displays how superior they can be. I once watched videos on Amari Cooper training before the draft. Just workout videos on how he worked on his footwork. I was blown way. I knew after watching those videos, that he would have a good NFL career. He did it in his games and he clearly was working on perfecting his craft off the field....couple that with god-given talent. Some players just more dedicated more than others, by putting in the time and patience. And MT was definitely more dedicated more than others.
A workout video yields precious little information to base an opinion on how a prospect will beat press coverage at the pro level vs a cornerback like Lattimore or Deion Sanders.

NOFALCONS10

Reaction score

I'm a Mac Jones supporter but personally I think criticism of his gut is pretty lame.

I find his mugshots much more amusing, though I hate to laugh at the guy.

maxresdefault.jpg

59fcb763bfd9c.image.jpg
23710293-small.jpg

Randy Jones

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I cant agree with this assessment. I do not think the days of the pocket passer are gone. The rules in the NFL still favor the pocket passing qb. Pocket awareness is a different trait than having mobility to extend plays. I do not believe the RPO is still an accepted concept at the pro level since its exposes multi million dollar qbs to excessive injury over their careers. I think his traits and talent are similar to Drew Brees. Brees was criticized for not having a strong arm, but his other abilities were highly desired. How many here would draft a Drew Brees if 20 years younger?

NOFALCONS10

Reaction score
I cant agree with this assessment. I do not think the days of the pocket passer are gone. The rules in the NFL still favor the pocket passing qb. Pocket awareness is a different trait than having mobility to extend plays. I do not believe the RPO is still an accepted concept at the pro level since its exposes multi million dollar qbs to excessive injury over their careers. I think his traits and talent are similar to Drew Brees. Brees was criticized for not having a strong arm, but his other abilities were highly desired. How many here would draft a Drew Brees if 20 years younger?
behold_little_ones_nursery_manual.jpeg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom