Saints must figure out a way to draft Mac Jones (2 Viewers)

More discussion about Jones (and not NF10):

“That’s what Steve Sarkisian told me, straight up. He said, ‘he refused to lose the job.’ Everyone in Tuscaloosa, everyone in the state of Alabama, everyone thought this was going to be Bryce Young’s job. And Mac Jones would not lose it,” McShay said. “You can see that resolve in him, the way he plays. You can see it when he’s warming up in games. Everything about him, I really appreciate and love the way he plays the game. He’s so intelligent in terms of what defenses are trying to throw at him and him adjusting to it. I think he’s going to have a lot of success. My next rankings, he’s going to be moved up at least inside the top 20.”

“I think Mac Jones had a phenomenal season,” Saban said Tuesday. “I mean, the completion percentage that he had, the accuracy, the command of the offense, the understanding of coverage and getting the ball to the right guys, consistency in performance, a guy that's played awesome. He's a very bright guy.”

Not bad for a former scout-team quarterback who began his career in the shadows behind Jalen Hurts and Tua Tagovailoa.

In fact, Jones surpassed that duo during his lone season as the starter for Alabama. Through 13 games, the Heisman Trophy finalist set the school’s single-season passing record with 4,500 yards through the air. His 41 passing touchdowns were just two away from tying Tagovailoa’s single-season mark set over 15 games in 2018.

Jones also took down a pair of national records as well. His 77.4 percent completion rate tops the previous NCCA single-season best of 76.7 percent set by Texas’ Colt McCoy in 2008. Meanwhile, Jones’ 203.06 passer efficiency rating passed the NCAA single-season record of 201.96 set by LSU’s Joe Burrow last year.

I have no opinion one way or the other. I was just responding to the argument that Jones can’t possibly be good because no QB from Bama has been good since Namath. I leave the scouting and talent evaluation to the SR experts
You mean the tiger experts? 😜

I have no opinion one way or the other. I was just responding to the argument that Jones can’t possibly be good because no QB from Bama has been good since Namath. I leave the scouting and talent evaluation to the SR experts
I was asking if it went that far back? I can’t think of a great QB to come out of Bama, heck I don’t even think Namath was special from what I’ve seen and read about him. I could surely be missing some, and I’m definitely no scout as I don’t even watch college football. 😃

I was asking if it went that far back? I can’t think of a great QB to come out of Bama, heck I don’t even think Namath was special from what I’ve seen and read about him. I could surely be missing some, and I’m definitely no scout as I don’t even watch college football. 😃
You'd have to also include Jalen Hurts and Tua as Bama QBs as well.

Not to say that either are great but they both have displayed starting-caliber nfl talent.

I will say this, I have no idea what the comment "Fields doesn't have Lawrence/Wilson/Lance arm talent" means.

The guy seems to have a cannon just like former OSU qb Cardale Jones, but with much better feet and mechanics.

If there is a Josh Allen type player in this draft, it most likely is Fields.

Another great example of a qb showing elite accuracy in the college game (63%) with a great wr (Randy Moss) and then going on to post one of the all-time great completion % in NFl History (66%) is Chad Pennington at Marshall.

Pennington was very good and poised but I think that Jones has a slightly stronger arm.

alg_pennington-throws.jpg

I will say this, I have no idea what the comment "Fields doesn't have Lawrence/Wilson/Lance arm talent" means.

The guy seems to have a cannon just like former OSU qb Cardale Jones, but with much better feet and mechanics.

Hey, I agree with you.

Fields in terms of arm talent is right up there with Lawrence as the best in the class. Anticipation, staring down receivers and locking in on his initial read is what’s going to need to be fixed. All the arm talent in the world though.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom