Saints must figure out a way to draft Mac Jones (2 Viewers)

Just read an article that suggested his NFL comparison is Matt Barkley. Maybe a little Jake Fromm or a shorter AJ McCarron. Not exactly a glowing endorsement. But who knows?

I’m just hoping Smith doesn’t fall to the dirty birds at #4

Drafting a WR and ignoring their rampant issues at OL, DL, LB, CB, and S would be a very falcon thing to do. They also have an aging QB with a horrendous contract that they must move on from soon. They're also projected to be over the cap next season by at least $10m, so I doubt they're going to be front runners in free agency either for any of the names on the market. Jeez, the falcons are a mess. It is glorious.

Drafting a WR and ignoring their rampant issues at OL, DL, LB, CB, and S would be a very falcon thing to do. They also have an aging QB with a horrendous contract that they must move on from soon. They're also projected to be over the cap next season by at least $10m, so I doubt they're going to be front runners in free agency either for any of the names on the market. Jeez, the falcons are a mess. It is glorious.

Yeah I would expect Atlanta to start farm selling and restocking more-so than drafting another WR. I do think they move from Julio, but Ridley & Gage are a decent duo and like you said... so many holes to fill, including the QB position.

Maybe they’re in for the tank (Spencer Rattler next season is another gold star prospect) and will just load up on picks. If not, they need to find their next franchise guy picking at 4. I think it’s likely they will go with hometown boy Justin Fields, even if it means a Jets swap.

Yeah I would expect Atlanta to start farm selling and restocking more-so than drafting another WR. I do think they move from Julio, but Ridley & Gage are a decent duo and like you said... so many holes to fill, including the QB position.

Maybe they’re in for the tank (Spencer Rattler next season) and will just load up on picks. If not, they need to find their next franchise guy picking at 4. I think it’s likely they will go with hometown boy Justin Fields, even if it means a Jets swap.

The falcons really can't afford to give up draft picks they'll desperately need to restock the shelves to trade up. Otherwise they'll wind up with a Burrow situation where they get a franchise QB and then almost end his career his rookie season. It is just wild how many holes that team has and how handicapped they are at trying to fill them. Dimitroff and Quinn might as well have worn Saints jerseys for how badly they ran that team into the ground.

Just read an article that suggested his NFL comparison is Matt Barkley. Maybe a little Jake Fromm or a shorter AJ McCarron. Not exactly a glowing endorsement. But who knows?

My comp is Kurt Warner or Tom Brady.

Jones likely won't make it past NE but hopefully I'm wrong.

"His accuracy on all levels is really incredible," Kiper Jr. said last Monday on Get Up!. "I think the way he played this year, after only four starts last season, and to not have (Henry) Ruggs, to not have (Jerry) Jeudy and then Waddle got hurt and it’s the DeVonta Smith show. His accuracy, no matter who’s out there, is spectacular."

"He is a grade-A prospect at the position, ESPN NFL Draft analyst Mel Kiper says, and he believes there's a team in the middle of the first round that will have him circled come draft time."

Very similar to Kurt Warner on the Low end.

Tom Brady at Michigan on the high.

Give me Kyle Pitts or Najee Harris.

Would rather just stick with Taysom for a season.

Give me Kyle Pitts or Najee Harris.

Would rather just stick with Taysom for a season.
They won't sniff Pitts.

Freijermouth is more realistic.

And Harris would likely manage 10-14 carries a game when like Murray if Murray leaves. Might as well keep Murray.

Mlb Zaven Collins is the most likely pick if not a qb.

Also bring up Thomas's statline in college.

No competition in all star games.

Played literally nobody corners his college career and his best season was 799 yards.

MT was literally the only person who thought MT could be MT.

I will make you a wager about Jones though, anyday.😉👌
He was my top receiver that year. Matt Miller also had him #1. More importantly, Saints had him graded him a first rounder and would have taken him in round 1 if Rankins was not available.

The same scouting team who whiffed on Allen Robinson and Davante Adams the year before making the Thomas pick even necessary in the first place? Lol.

Don't forget they traded up for Cooks when I was all for just staying at #27 and double-dipping at wr in 2014.

Oh and dont forget the whiffs on Claypool and Metcalf. :haha-rire-395:
Actually, It was not the exact same department. Ryan Pace and Rick Reiprish were in charge at the time. There were also some different scouts in place. Indeed, they whiffed on Adams and Robinson.

But why didn’t you mention the player who you wanted them to draft at #27? It was Kelvin Benjamin. We debated this. Last I checked, Benjamin is out the league. Say what you want about Cook, but he’s been the most productive receiver to come out of the 2014 NFL Draft in terms of receiving yards. A lot of that has to do with Odell Beckham’s injuries but fact of the matter is Cooks has had 1000 yard seasons with 4 different teams. I’d take Adams, who is the most prolific in terms of scoring touchdowns, over him. But Cooks, while not a desirable #1, has been very, very productive. And that is more than can be said about Benjamin who lasted all of 4 seasons. And keep in mind, you rated Benjamin over Adams and Robinson so please do not revise the past. You also had Donte Moncrief ranked higher than Cooks if I recall correctly.

Bottom line is, we all get some right, we all get some wrong. Like Devin Taylor, Dion Jordan, and KeKe Mingo though at least the latter two are still in the league. But the draft is an inexact science for a reason. You can be and have been wrong before. I’m old enough to remember.
Against who though?

He faced nobody.

And if they'd only done the sensible thing in 2014 and taken 2 wideouts as I suggested instead of Stanley Jean-Baptiste then Thomas would never have been necessary.

Never forget they passed on Allen Robinson for SJB.
The against who argument is so subjective and is designed to privilege your analysis over others. And it is as “lazy” as the analysis on Mac Jones that you are criticized as such.

They did pass on Robinson and Juice Landry and even Trai Turner if I remember correctly for SBJ. All colossal errors. Of course, they desperately needed help at CB and reached for a developmental prospect who played receiver for most of his pre-professional career. The Saints were also hoping to imitate Seattle with the big corners and it failed. It happens just like it did with Byrd. In the end, double-dipping at receiver or taking a lineman made the most sense as I also remember thinking as the pick was being made that they should have taken Gabe Jackson.. But I think they learned from it and they upgraded the scouting department. They have not been perfect but over the past 4-5 years they have done better than the vast majority of the league.
They might as well have gotten something in return for bombing the entire 14' draft right?

Albeit 3 years later.
Different staff. And if they had taken who you wanted, they would have really bombed the draft since, again, Kelvin Benjamin is out of the league. But Cooks was productive here and was flipped for a first that became 2-time all pro Ryan Ramcyzk. That’s much more than the Panthers can say they got from Buffalo for Benjamin.
Pretty sure he thought much the same about Trequan Smith too.

MT might have made himself into an elite wr but there was precious little EVIDENCE to indicate that he ever would be coming out of that draft.
Your inability or rather unwillingness to admit you were wrong about Thomas is absolutely stunning. C’mon dude, again, we are all wrong from time to time. Hopefully we find ourselves more right than wrong. You do a lot of homework on the draft. You and I both know you have had some head-scratching evaluations over the years. But I love that you have the courage of your convictions and I love that you are willing to go against the grain/think outside the box. At times, it serves you well and that can earn you good social capital around here. But don’t burn it all up by being obnoxious simply because a few persons in this thread dare not see what you see in Mac Jones when you are not anymore qualified than they are to assess college prospects. Maybe more dedicated, but not so elevated in your ability to scout talent that only your opinions matter or that you can admit being wrong.

They won't sniff Pitts.

Freijermouth is more realistic.

And Harris would likely manage 10-14 carries a game when like Murray if Murray leaves. Might as well keep Murray.

Mlb Zaven Collins is the most likely pick if not a qb.

Reminds me of Gronk

Mac Jones is largely a fraud IMHO... He’s Jake Fromm with a slightly better arm and a superior supporting cast all around him. Jones will be a career backup if he doesn’t just wash out

He was my top receiver that year. Matt Miller also had him #1. More importantly, Saints had him graded him a first rounder and would have taken him in round 1 if Rankins was not available.

Actually, It was not the exact same department. Ryan Pace and Rick Reiprish were in charge at the time. There were also some different scouts in place. Indeed, they whiffed on Adams and Robinson.

But why didn’t you mention the player who you wanted them to draft at #27? It was Kelvin Benjamin. We debated this. Last I checked, Benjamin is out the league. Say what you want about Cook, but he’s been the most productive receiver to come out of the 2014 NFL Draft in terms of receiving yards. A lot of that has to do with Odell Beckham’s injuries but fact of the matter is Cooks has had 1000 yard seasons with 4 different teams. I’d take Adams, who is the most prolific in terms of scoring touchdowns, over him. But Cooks, while not a desirable #1, has been very, very productive. And that is more than can be said about Benjamin who lasted all of 4 seasons. And keep in mind, you rated Benjamin over Adams and Robinson so please do not revise the past. You also had Donte Moncrief ranked higher than Cooks if I recall correctly.

Bottom line is, we all get some right, we all get some wrong. Like Devin Taylor, Dion Jordan, and KeKe Mingo though at least the latter two are still in the league. But the draft is an inexact science for a reason. You can be and have been wrong before. I’m old enough to remember.

The against who argument is so subjective and is designed to privilege your analysis over others. And it is as “lazy” as the analysis on Mac Jones that you are criticized as such.

They did pass on Robinson and Juice Landry and even Trai Turner if I remember correctly for SBJ. All colossal errors. Of course, they desperately needed help at CB and reached for a developmental prospect who played receiver for most of his pre-professional career. The Saints were also hoping to imitate Seattle with the big corners and it failed. It happens just like it did with Byrd. In the end, double-dipping at receiver or taking a lineman made the most sense as I also remember thinking as the pick was being made that they should have taken Gabe Jackson.. But I think they learned from it and they upgraded the scouting department. They have not been perfect but over the past 4-5 years they have done better than the vast majority of the league.

Different staff. And if they had taken who you wanted, they would have really bombed the draft since, again, Kelvin Benjamin is out of the league. But Cooks was productive here and was flipped for a first that became 2-time all pro Ryan Ramcyzk. That’s much more than the Panthers can say they got from Buffalo for Benjamin.

Your inability or rather unwillingness to admit you were wrong about Thomas is absolutely stunning. C’mon dude, again, we are all wrong from time to time. Hopefully we find ourselves more right than wrong. You do a lot of homework on the draft. You and I both know you have had some head-scratching evaluations over the years. But I love that you have the courage of your convictions and I love that you are willing to go against the grain/think outside the box. At times, it serves you well and that can earn you good social capital around here. But don’t burn it all up by being obnoxious simply because a few persons in this thread dare not see what you see in Mac Jones when you are not anymore qualified than they are to assess college prospects. Maybe more dedicated, but not so elevated in your ability to scout talent that only your opinions matter or that you can admit being wrong.
Ok first off, my favorite wr that year at #27 was Davante Adams hands down though I thought Benjamin made a lot if sense for the team at 27 when most thought he would flop even in his rookie year.

I repeatedly stated that a trade up for Cooks made no sense at all.

And even Benjamin did have 1000+ yards and 14 tds as a rookie.

You are completely out of your mind if you think I had Moncrief rated higher than Cooks.

Cooks was actually one of my favorite wrs but I saw absolutely no need to trade up for him.

Screenshot_20210112-054700_Chrome.jpg

For the record this is what I said about passing on Robinson for Baptiste

Screenshot_20210112-062214_Chrome.jpg

I said I "would stand by that statement in 4 years" and here I stand 7 years later.

What the heck are you talking about?

I just stated consistently that I was wrong about Thomas but considering all of the facts at the time it was a pretty solid guess that he wouldn't ever be what he would become.

He played absolutely no one and his tape was underwhelming.

You and I both missed on Tavon Austin I will confess.

But Like I said, I've been right more than wrong here about top wrs.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom