Saints must figure out a way to draft Mac Jones (1 Viewer)

60minutes

Camp Body
Reaction score
I don't consider myself anything else than a fan watching the game, so this is just an opinion.

I think there are things that we know and that we don't know about Mac Jones.

What we know:

- Jones have the smarts, he is really good reading the field, and has the patience to wait until the ideal route gets open.

- He is very accurate, both in short and deep routes.

- He already is moving safeties with his eyes.

- He is not a scrambler, but has enough mobility to scape.

- He is patient, spent time learning on the bench during Tua's time.

- Obviously, he is coachable and we saw some progress in his game during the year.

Here are things we don't know:

- We don't know how Jones will perform with constant pressure, specially coming from the middle. To be honest, he had all the time in the world to make those throws.

- Najee and the receivers are a ridiculous unit. We don't know how he will perform with a subpar unit surrounding him (and that is not his fault).

- We don't know much about his leadership skills. In Alabama, that is always Saban's job.

I really like him. I will be happy if we take him. But I cannot say if he is the best candidate to replace Drew, or the cost it will take to draft him.
We are gonna be picking at the bottom of the 1st. That needs to be the first note when discussing this stuff.

You aren’t getting “enter top 10 pick here” in the draft. Any QB we take will have flaws. It’s simply a matter of what qualities they do have and how those can be groomed.

To me, Jones’ strengths are exactly the kinds of the things you’d love to see Payton utilize and develop. They fit the offense and he wouldn’t cost us a bunch in draft capital.
Two of the better, if not best, takes in the thread. And [actually] related to the original post.

NOFALCONS10

Not a part of your system
Reaction score
Sounds like you have zero eyes for talent. Oh and the last thing a scout does is look at college stats to determine where he should be drafted.
I pointed out everything else too.

Show me the all-world competition he faced to base a valid opinion on.

4 pages later and I'm still waiting for something better than " I just had a deep conviction in my soul absent any tangible reason to justify it."

NOFALCONS10

Reaction score
So you honestly think you are better than NFL scouts? You are acting like a gambler who comes home bragging about winning $100 on the slots while ignoring the $500 you lost earlier.
Where did I ever say that?

In fact, most of my opinions is based on what I glean from professional scouts.

NOFALCONS10

Reaction score

SweetT

Old alias known as FLASH
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
That's fine and great but what top nfl corner can you point to that he dominated at OSU or even in All-star games.

There weren't any.

I tried hard to like Thomas but there's still no way I would've selected him in round two based on workouts and prior competition.

My pre-draft assessment would not have changed based on the information available at the time.

He had a wonderful 3 cone with giant hands and an average to below average 40.

It's really great that you thought so highly of him based on a few moves vs relative unknowns and I didn't but I just don't base my judgements that way.

Kudos to you though.
I hear you about MT never really going up against elite college CBs, but that is not the end all/be all to whether someone will be great at a skills position. You can use that argument for QBs, but skills position players are different. It’s easy for a QB to beast if he clearly has the most weapons, along with the best weapons. Skills position players have these little nuances to their game, that displays how superior they can be. I once watched videos on Amari Cooper training before the draft. Just workout videos on how he worked on his footwork. I was blown way. I knew after watching those videos, that he would have a good NFL career. He did it in his games and he clearly was working on perfecting his craft off the field....couple that with god-given talent. Some players just more dedicated more than others, by putting in the time and patience. And MT was definitely more dedicated more than others.

MLU

Please respect my decision!
Reaction score
Could be Drew Brees part Deux.

Deadly accurate.

NFL ready.

Great at screen passes, deep ball. Smart, quick decision making.
Mac Jones is AJ McCarron without the terrible tattoo...

NOFALCONS10

Reaction score
Sharpe mentioning his accuracy at 5:20

Paraphase:

"Had 3 drops and still was accurate"

Mac Jones's best deep ball breakdown

Best plays of Mac Jones's 2020 season

jboss

All-Pro
Reaction score
I could post highlights of Paxton Lynch from college that makes him look like a franchise QB. We all know how that turned out. Some certain people on this board probably thought he was, in fact...

NOFALCONS10

Reaction score
I could post highlights of Paxton Lynch from college that makes him look like a franchise QB. We all know how that turned out. Some certain people on this board probably thought he was, in fact...
So did Payton and John Elway.

Payton was extremely high on Lynch.

Lynch was a play-action passer. Jones is a timing QB.

You wanna bring up Garropolo, Carr, etc?

Didn't think so.

NOFALCONS10

Reaction score
At least I can say that I knew ahead of time that Garrett Grayson had no potential. :ROFLMAO:

"In the case of Lynch, the Saints scouted him. Payton stated that he was “another player that had high grades” in their evaluation of him."

meily

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
He's a good prospect, well coached, he fits the Payton formula....I think Payton would be intrigued with coaching a guy like this from a school like that who's a winner.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

New Orleans Saints Twitter Feed

Headlines

Top Bottom