Saints must figure out a way to draft Mac Jones (2 Viewers)

A lot may change once the "experts" pick apart his game at the combines and workouts (if allowed). I have read some that question his arm strength. He appears to have enough arm strength to get the job done. There is usually a lot of skepticism around Alabama QBs as they have a lot of advantages many other QBs do not have in the way of protection and weapons as well as typically large leads in games with less pressure.

I don't think a player should be blamed or diminish because of the strength of the team he played with. If this was the case, then Justin Fields and Trevor Lawrence should have the same question marks.

Mac Jones is a solid player. How solid is he as a prospect? I don't know. This is a really difficult question to answer.

Looking back at Alabama's prospects, both AJ McCarron and Tua Togavailoa were solid players (in a way similar to Jones).

The draft process regarding Jones will be so interesting, and I am not thinking about his athletic capabilities, but about dissecting him at the field. Is it the player? the offense? both?

A chicken vs the egg kind of question. But at the end, he will be picked by the coach he feels more comfortable with him as a player and as a person.

NO Falcons.

Dude. Just stop. Seriously.

You must really be a fun guy at parties.

Everyone loves the guy who loves to profess how smart he is, and blames any mistakes on something out of his control.

There are so many well versed posts in this thread advising you to chill.

Take heed and show some humility.

The whole thing about Mac Jones being surrounded with talent doesn't ring as valid to me. Tu'a had the same offense and it never looked this potent.

Plus, what, we don't expect the offense to be loaded with the Saints too? Kamara and MT aren't going anywhere. And we have Harris and Callaway who are both ready to grow and prosper. Plus there's the potential of Fishman. And while this draft isn't loaded with WRs, we can find guys later on who can start, if we feel so inclined to take them.

He throws to receivers that are always wide open of course he's accurate. I'll pass.

Came to post this.
He's great but look at who these QBs are throwing to. I don't blame Mac Jones. Its not his fault he's throwing to guys with 5 yards of separation

Did you feel Herbert was even like Herbert in San Diego when he was at Oregon? Be honest.
I don't. Dude lit it up this year and the Chargers would be in the playoffs if the team hadn't let him down. I didn't see that coming. He came in and played like a seasoned vet on a not-great team. The Chargers have a bright future if they get the right coaching staff and scouts in place.

I don't consider myself anything else than a fan watching the game, so this is just an opinion.

I think there are things that we know and that we don't know about Mac Jones.

What we know:

- Jones have the smarts, he is really good reading the field, and has the patience to wait until the ideal route gets open.

- He is very accurate, both in short and deep routes.

- He already is moving safeties with his eyes.

- He is not a scrambler, but has enough mobility to scape.

- He is patient, spent time learning on the bench during Tua's time.

- Obviously, he is coachable and we saw some progress in his game during the year.

Here are things we don't know:

- We don't know how Jones will perform with constant pressure, specially coming from the middle. To be honest, he had all the time in the world to make those throws.

- Najee and the receivers are a ridiculous unit. We don't know how he will perform with a subpar unit surrounding him (and that is not his fault).

- We don't know much about his leadership skills. In Alabama, that is always Saban's job.

I really like him. I will be happy if we take him. But I cannot say if he is the best candidate to replace Drew, or the cost it will take to draft him.
We are gonna be picking at the bottom of the 1st. That needs to be the first note when discussing this stuff.

You aren’t getting “enter top 10 pick here” in the draft. Any QB we take will have flaws. It’s simply a matter of what qualities they do have and how those can be groomed.

To me, Jones’ strengths are exactly the kinds of the things you’d love to see Payton utilize and develop. They fit the offense and he wouldn’t cost us a bunch in draft capital.
Two of the better, if not best, takes in the thread. And [actually] related to the original post.

Sounds like you have zero eyes for talent. Oh and the last thing a scout does is look at college stats to determine where he should be drafted.
I pointed out everything else too.

Show me the all-world competition he faced to base a valid opinion on.

4 pages later and I'm still waiting for something better than " I just had a deep conviction in my soul absent any tangible reason to justify it."

So you honestly think you are better than NFL scouts? You are acting like a gambler who comes home bragging about winning $100 on the slots while ignoring the $500 you lost earlier.
Where did I ever say that?

In fact, most of my opinions is based on what I glean from professional scouts.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom