Saints Near Misses Are Crazy to Think About (1 Viewer)

BoNcHiE

Every team's Elixir
Reaction score
We were one decision by Brees away from still having Sean Payton here with Tom Brady as QB and likely another SB win in the last two years. We were one pick away from Patrick Mahomes being our QB for the next 20 years and Payton certainly still being here. We were right there with getting Lamar Jackson and it didn't work out.

It hurts to think about where we could be without all these near misses, never mind all the ones on the field the last decade. This was a team setup for years to come and one offseason of bad decisions has burned it all down. An aging team that refused to draft a QB for three years with no prospects and a slate of bad contracts.

I hate to admit I was wrong about this team, but the pain is coming, and it's going to last a while.

I don’t look at Mahomes as a miss here.

They took Latt - who was defensive rookie of the year and a huge part in the resurgence of our defense after many years of stagnant mediocrity.

Please close this thread. The last thing anyone’s mental health needs is a reminder about the QBs we missed on. Especially not now.

We were one decision by Brees away from still having Sean Payton here with Tom Brady as QB and likely another SB win in the last two years. We were one pick away from Patrick Mahomes being our QB for the next 20 years and Payton certainly still being here. We were right there with getting Lamar Jackson and it didn't work out.

It hurts to think about where we could be without all these near misses, never mind all the ones on the field the last decade. This was a team setup for years to come and one offseason of bad decisions has burned it all down. An aging team that refused to draft a QB for three years with no prospects and a slate of bad contracts.

I hate to admit I was wrong about this team, but the pain is coming, and it's going to last a while.
There's an alternative universe that exists where the Rams get OPI flagged and Brees retires on a SB win.

Then Brady comes in after and we win another SB.

Brees was done after 2019. This team was dragging the corpse of a HoF QB hoping for the ball to bounce their way and it bit them hard. I basically said they would regret it when it came out that the Saints turned away Brady after Brees decided to come back.

Should've signed Brady and traded Brees if he wanted to come back. So, all the big names that follow Brady + Picks for Brees + a top 10 defense + calls actually going the Saints way = a couple more SB rings.

Has this ever been confirmed? Because it seems like the Raiders had a deal, but Gruden nixed it.

Has this ever been confirmed? Because it seems like the Raiders had a deal, but Gruden nixed it.
There’s no smoke without fire.

It’s no secret Brees told everyone at the Pro Bowl he was retiring. It’s why he started the game.
The rumours were there that Payton wanted Brady and suddenly Brees has a change of heart.

It could have maybe been adding 2 and 2 and getting 5 but the Payton/Brady/Miami story confirmed it for me that Payton wanted Brady and Brady wanted to play for Payton.

The Raiders stuff could have happened after the fact.

There’s no smoke without fire.

It’s no secret Brees told everyone at the Pro Bowl he was retiring. It’s why he started the game.
The rumours were there that Payton wanted Brady and suddenly Brees has a change of heart.

It could have maybe been adding 2 and 2 and getting 5 but the Payton/Brady/Miami story confirmed it for me that Payton wanted Brady and Brady wanted to play for Payton.

The Raiders stuff could have happened after the fact.
But that’s still just speculation.

This year looks bad but I am not as pessimistic about the future unless the team is unwilling to move on from Dennis Allen if the team continues to look so disorganized and discombobulated.

Yes, there's no 2023 1st round pick. But that pick was used to trade up (via Philly and DC) for Olave, who looks great in only his 3rd NFL game (almost 150 yards receiving today, including some tough contested catches). Saints potentially have picks in all other rounds plus some project a net value compensatory pick.

Drew Brees and Terron Armstead (total >$24M in 2022) come off the books after this season, meaning the only dead cap of note is 3.9M for Malcom Jenkins in 2023 (that # obviously depends on what happens this off season).

Ofc all the money and draft capital is for nought without planning and leadership, just like great WRs still need the QB to get them the ball.

Brady would be in a full body cast the way this offensive line plays.

Im hedging my bets that we strike gold on that 6th round pick in 2067 that we got from the Eagles in the CGJ “trade”.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom