Saints need holdover 4-3 pieces to translate to 3-4 [MERGED] (1 Viewer)

Dan in Lafayette

Staff member
Administrator
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
junior-galette.jpg

Saints need holdover 4-3 pieces to translate to 3-4

By Chris Burke

The New Orleans Saints highlighted last week one of the reasons teams often are hesitant to undertake scheme shifts on defense. Saints GM Mickey Loomis said, according to Larry Holder of NOLA.com, that Will Smith will open camp competing for an outside linebacker spot in the team’s new 3-4 defense.

That’s 6-foot-3, 280-pound Will Smith, a player who has spent his entire nine-year NFL career playing as a defensive end in New Orleans’ former 4-3 look. Despite 67.5 career sacks, Smith’s roster spot suddenly looks unsafe, despite him taking a massive pay cut this offseason (from $9 million in 2013 to $3 million) in an effort to stick around.

This is one of the challenges when a coaching staff opts for a new attack — the players on the roster don’t always fit.

And the Saints may not know exactly how successful this defensive transformation is until the regular season begins. But chances are, any chance for improvement will rely heavily on two players …

More - SI

Two players on the D who have their spots locked down are Cam Jordan and Curtis Lofton. Aside from these two spots, and Galette expected to be the starter at WOLB, the other four front seven spots, I think, are up for grabs.

Two players on the D who have their spots locked down are Cam Jordan and Curtis Lofton. Aside from these two spots, and Galette expected to be the starter at WOLB, the other four front seven spots, I think, are up for grabs.

It's a whole lot of crazy to think Hicks doesn't have job security.

Saints need holdover 4-3 pieces to translate to 3-4: Chris Burke, SI.com

Well written article. The writer seems to have a good understanding of defenses

1. John Jenkins: Broderick Bunkley could enter the season as the starting nose tackle for defensive coordinator Rob Ryan, and Loomis previously said that a player like the 300-pound Bunkley could handle the responsibilities of a 3-4 man in the middle.

Expect that tune to change somewhat now that Jenkins wears black and gold.

The massive 6-foot-4, 346-pound Jenkins was once thought to be a clear first-round prospect in this year’s draft, only to slip into Round 3 as endurance and fitness questions dogged him. The Saints pounced there, trading back into that round to take the Georgia product.

Why? Because 3-4 defenses usually work best with a mountain of a man at nose tackle — someone who can eat up multiple blockers along the inside and plug run lanes.

2. Junior Galette: The Times-Picayune reported out of the Saints’ first OTA that Galette will start as the weakside linebacker (over Smith), with Martez Wilson and Victor Butler battling for the strongside.

The weakside position is the one most often asked to get to the quarterback and is held down elsewhere in the league by players like Aldon Smith, Terrell Suggs and Clay Matthews. Galette, 25, could be one of the league’s breakout defensive stars if he plays to his potential in this new scheme. He had 5.0 sacks last season and 4.5 the year before, despite starting just one game each time.

Butler and Wilson, meanwhile, each had 3.0 sacks in 2012 — should they stick on the strongside, they’ll be asked to do more in the way of covering tight ends and running backs in coverage.

Saints need holdover 4-3 pieces to translate to 3-4 | Audibles - SI.com

Agreed everything is up in the air excluding the 2 mentioned even WOLb from my perspective.

It's a whole lot of crazy to think Hicks doesn't have job security.

Its a whole lot of crazy to think Will Smith is an OLB in a 3-4.. I just don't get it.. At this point in his career he's a poor mans Cam Jordan and if Cam's at DE why in the world would u try Will Smith at OLB unless you're looking for a reason to cut him

Its a whole lot of crazy to think Will Smith is an OLB in a 3-4.. I just don't get it.. At this point in his career he's a poor mans Cam Jordan and if Cam's at DE why in the world would u try Will Smith at OLB unless you're looking for a reason to cut him

Popular theory is that he'll be a purely Rush OLB and will line up in a nickel base as what's essentially a 4-3 DE position... personally I think they're just trying to give him one last shot that'll make it easier to cut him if it doesn't pan out.

Popular theory is that he'll be a purely Rush OLB and will line up in a nickel base as what's essentially a 4-3 DE position... personally I think they're just trying to give him one last shot that'll make it easier to cut him if it doesn't pan out.

That's the crazy part.. The last few years he hasn't even been good at rushing the passer, he's been nothing more than a space eater..

I'm still not buying Smith as an OLB, if he doesn't get cut, I believe he'll remain as a depth DE and a situational player.

Rotoworld (an unbiased opinion) had this to say about Smith...

Will Smith was running with the Saints' first-team defense at outside linebacker in OTAs this week.
Smith and Martez Wilson were with the ones, while Junior Galette and Victor Butler were with the twos. As we pointed out days ago, this attempt by the Saints to move 6-foot-3, 282-pound Smith to stand-up edge rusher is quite comical. Galette and Butler are younger and much more talented at this stage of their respective careers. Smith, due $3 million, is a candidate to be released.

Rotoworld (an unbiased opinion) had this to say about Smith...

No one is unbiased.

Rotoworld's quote is a classic example of opinion bias. They gave no analysis of how Smith did in the OTA's at OLB. They only repeated their previously stated opinion.

This post is a textbook example of confirmation bias. Something TCUDan pointed out that most fans are prone to do.

Rotoworld's and your opinion may prove to be true, but that doesn't make either one of you unbiased.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom