Saints new look 3-4 defense depth chart (1 Viewer)

Saint Kamara

Formerly SaintSproles and SaintReggie
Reaction score
LDE - Jordan, Johnson, Walker
NT - Bunkley, Jenkins, Hicks
RDE - Hicks, Coleman, Jenkins

WOLB - Galette, Wilson, Smith
WILB - Hawthorne, Vilma, Wilson
SILB - Lofton, Vilma, Chamberlain
SOLB - Butler, Wilson

CB - Lewis, Robinson, White
CB - Greer, Robinson, White
Nickel - Vaccaro, Jenkins
SS - Harper, Vaccaro, Leonhard, Bush
FS - Jenkins, Vaccaro, Abdul-Quddus

That's 25 players with probably room for 1 or 2 more to complete the defense. Probably done in the defensive backfield with the fact Vaccaro and Jenkins can play some nickel CB. Add a linebacker and d-lineman and we are done.

A respectable defensive unit is beginning to take form.

I doubt we carry just 3 OLB's. Greg Romeus should be healthy enough by now to at least be the 4th.

We're set everywhere else. Im really excited to see this defense make some noise this year

Something tells me 2-3 of those guys won't be on the opening day roster.

I guess I should wait till after the draft to say this, because I have no clue who else we will pick up.. But usually you can't expect too much from a 5th or 6th rounder. So with that said, I would personally like 2 things to happen with this depth chart.

1. Now that we have some cap space after the Ivory trade, I would like for us to sign John Abraham for 1 maybe 2 years. We can also draft an OLB, but still have Abraham there as a proven vet. He will probably be pretty cheap.

2. We still need to do something about Harper. The idea of keeping him is nice, but if we do, he has got to take a paycut. I mean come on man, 7-8 million a year? Something needs to change about that.

2. We still need to do something about Harper. The idea of keeping him is nice, but if we do, he has got to take a paycut. I mean come on man, 7-8 million a year? Something needs to change about that.

Harper's contract for this year is already guaranteed from what I hear.
He has no incentive to take a pay cut.

If I were him, I wouldn't do it.

Pay me, or cut me... and still pay me. That's probably what he'll say.

I do not believe that to be true. If we cut Harper, we save 5.1M or 5.5M. He has dead money of $3.5M or so from what I recall, but if he is cut after June 1st, that hit spreads over 2 years. I think he will be cut after June 1st.

Martez Wilson Starts mark my words! Also I believe Vilma. Will be the Wilbur starter, and Lofton. Will be pulled on obvious passing situations for Hawthorne and Wilson. This is a very good unit that just needs cornerback and OLB depth. I wouldn't be surprised if White pushes for a starting CB spot

I don't know where this rumor keeps coming from. The numbers are right here:

» Over the Cap- New Orleans Saints 2014 Salary Cap Page

2013: Roman Harper

Cap hit: 7.1 million
Dead money: 3.5 million
Cap savings: 3.6 million

2014: Roman Harper

Cap Hit: 7.9 million
Dead money: 1.75 million
Cap savings: 6.15 million

Total savings off cap if released:

3.6 million (2013) + 6.15 million (2014) = $9.75 million

Martez Wilson Starts mark my words! Also I believe Vilma. Will be the Wilbur starter, and Lofton. Will be pulled on obvious passing situations for Hawthorne and Wilson. This is a very good unit that just needs cornerback and OLB depth. I wouldn't be surprised if White pushes for a starting CB spot

I think it's the exact opposite for Hawthorne and Vilma at the WILB. Hawthorne is in on running downs and Vilma on obvious passing downs. Vilma is our best cover LB. Just watch the deep pass into the endzone by Manning in the Super Bowl and notice who ran 40+ yards down the field on the Colts slot receiver and knocked down a sure touchdown.

Listened to the Rob Ryan interview today. He says Smith will stand up and play LB.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom