Saints' Nick Fairley playing well, has 'chills' for Superdome debut (1 Viewer)

Dan in Lafayette

Staff member
Administrator
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
i

Saints' Nick Fairley playing well, has 'chills' for Superdome debut

Mike Triplett -- ESPN Staff Writer

METAIRIE, La. -- Defensive tackle Nick Fairley was arguably the New Orleans Saints' most impressive player in last week's preseason loss to the Houston Texans.

Fairley had a sack and four tackles -- including one where he chased down a receiver across the field on a screen pass. The timing couldn't have been much better, considering Fairley was filling in as a starter for rookie Sheldon Rankins, who had just gone down with a broken fibula earlier in the week.

"He played a heck of a game, and we know he has the talent to change games," Saints defensive end Cameron Jordan said. "He makes a lot of plays in the backfield, and that's exciting. Whether that's sacks, TFLs or just disruption, he's a big, disruptive force."

MORE -- ESPN

According to Pro Football Focus, Fairley leads all NFL defensive tackles so far this preseason with a run-stop percentage of 30.8 (four run stops on 13 run defense plays).

"He's athletic. When he wins, he usually wins in the first second of the play. He's pretty quick," Saints coach Sean Payton said. "I'd say that he has a pretty good football IQ. In other words, he's experienced and he's able to recognize schemes, if it's run, what type of run it is. He had some good production in that last game."

This Payton quote and the one from Cam in the OP have me excited about Fairley and his presence on that DL.

Fairley ran a 4.81. The guy is quite the athlete in his own right. Long arms, gets nice and low. Dude can and will wreak havoc in backfields.

Dude just needs to cool out with the NOLA food. I'm hankering for some China Doll myself...

This could be the perfect storm. A talented player who has shown flashes but never put it all together. He comes to the team he rooted for as a kid, close to home, and on a "prove it" contract. He's in the best shape of his career and appears to be very motivated. Maybe he puts it all together and becomes the beast he was destined to be.

One can hope...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom