Saints notes in Breer’s MMQB: Murray, Sanders, Kwon and the QBs (1 Viewer)

I don't see this at all. I love MI but he has clearly declined, wasn't he a healthy scratch in the playoffs for the Ravens?

Murray still has a few good seasons in him and has been very productive for us, I totally agree about the split evenly suggestion, always felt he deserved more touches.....I hope we don't cut him....

The "net" cap saving from cutting Murray are about $2 million, if you replace his spot on the roster with a rookie. More like net of $1.5 million if you replace him with MI on a team friendly deal. I would rather see the Saints keep him. A restructure to his contract would net the team about $1 million. I think it is 50/50 on what happens to Murray. I would rather lock us in with Murray for the next two years than take a flyer that MI is not running around on bald tires.

Last edited:
this guy has no sources with the saints organizations and is simply writing an opinion piece. not worth your time

The part about QBs may be opinion (although it’s highly possible he has other sources helping inform him).

But he has plenty of sources leaguewide and the guys listed in trade talks are guys being discussed with other teams, too.

I could see Murray/Sanders being traded for more picks to offset giving away the farm for Wilson.

If Brees wants to come back, let him go to another team. He's incapable physically of going deep into the playoffs. He is also now consistently hurt. Great run. Probably greatest the Saints will ever have, but it's time to move on.

I'm not interested in the nostalgia tour.

Wonder if Drew is considering another year given that he has not yet announced. Maybe he was waiting to heal up before making a final decision? If so, this would impact the team's need to sell the farm/mortgage the future for a Russ Wilson. We should soon know.
In another thread someone speculated that he was waiting until next Sunday (3/14) to make the announcement, which would be the 15th anniversary of the day he signed, which, if that comes to pass, would make sense as to why he still hasn't said anything. But if that day comes and goes and we still haven't heard anything I think it's going to be fair to wonder if he's having a change of heart. At the end of the Buc's loss he sure looked done.

If he is having a change of heart the upshot is that he's under contract for league minimum, so that alone wouldn't prevent the team from making another move. The question if he were to come back would be in what capacity. Before you even go into questions about his arm I think there's a legitimate argument that his body can't handle a starting role anymore, especially if he really did have the injuries his wife alleged (torn rotator cuff, torn fascia, plus the broken ribs and collapsed lung). That could lead to a tough conversation between him and Payton.

this guy has no sources with the saints organizations and is simply writing an opinion piece. not worth your time
He is just making an educated guess based on the cap values and the Saints' cap situation.

I don't see this at all. I love MI but he has clearly declined, wasn't he a healthy scratch in the playoffs for the Ravens?

Murray still has a few good seasons in him and has been very productive for us, I totally agree about the split evenly suggestion, always felt he deserved more touches.....I hope we don't cut him....
I disagree with you here. I saw the end of Mark’s Ravens career last April when they drafted JK Dobbins in the second round. Ingram averaged 5 yards a carry 2 years ago for Baltimore and 4.2 last year in limited touches. He only had 70 something carries. They have 3 young RBs on rookie deals Dobbins, Edwards, and Justice Hill who plays special teams. They are all cheaper options than Mark. It shocked me when they drafted Dobbins after Ingrams first seasons production.

I disagree with you here. I saw the end of Mark’s Ravens career last April when they drafted JK Dobbins in the second round. Ingram averaged 5 yards a carry 2 years ago for Baltimore and 4.2 last year in limited touches. He only had 70 something carries. They have 3 young RBs on rookie deals Dobbins, Edwards, and Justice Hill who plays special teams. They are all cheaper options than Mark. It shocked me when they drafted Dobbins after Ingrams first seasons production.

Agree, plus wasn’t there an incentive-based reason why he was benched? Not to mention he is perfect in our system.

If he really doesn’t get offers elsewhere and we can bring him in on a minimum deal, he would be pretty close to as good as Murray. Not to mention he’s a huge benefit to the locker room.

Isn't it funny that the national guys continue to say that the Saints seem to have interest in Wilson/would explore to see if they could get them. Then we have a local loser like Duncan(who still may be right) saying the complete opposite. Just goes to show you there seems to be a massive rift between national and local coverage.

I saw Jane Slater last Friday on Total Access. She said she has talked to people on the organization and there is no way the saints will pursue Wilson. They just don't have the assets or cap money to handle it. She even said she has disappointed several friends from New Orleans telling them Wilson is not an option.

I saw Jane Slater last Friday on Total Access. She said she has talked to people on the organization and there is no way the saints will pursue Wilson. They just don't have the assets or cap money to handle it. She even said she has disappointed several friends from New Orleans telling them Wilson is not an option.

Thats good info. Thank you.

The assets are definitely the biggest issue. The cap space could easily be made (in fact, a simple restructure could make his deal less expensive in year 1 than signing a QB in FA).

But I can see where we simply can’t match what other teams would offer asset-wise.

The "net" cap saving from cutting Murray are about $2 million, if you replace his spot on the roster with a rookie. More like net of $1.5 million if you replace him with MI on a team friendly deal. I would rather see the Saints keep him. A restructure to his contract would net the team about $1 million. I think it is 50/50 on what happens to Murray. I would rather lock us in with Murray for the next two years than take a flyer that MI is not running around on bald tires.

I agree, Murray turned out to be a better player than I thought he would be...I loved MI but I feel his time is over here....

Agree, plus wasn’t there an incentive-based reason why he was benched? Not to mention he is perfect in our system.

If he really doesn’t get offers elsewhere and we can bring him in on a minimum deal, he would be pretty close to as good as Murray. Not to mention he’s a huge benefit to the locker room.
They were planning to release him for cap purposes and didn't want to risk him getting hurt as his contract was guaranteed for injury.

This will have to be a busy week for the Saints and we should be getting information almost daily on Saints transactions as the deadline for coming into cap compliance is a week away! I can't wait to see what we have to do to get in compliance and I just hope it does not gut our core high salaried players to get under! Remember also that our cuts have to go beyond the 46 or so million quoted as we still have to sign a QB, Winston or someone else, which is a cap add...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom