Saints numbers that should be retired. (1 Viewer)

The NFL generally does not retired numbers because of the roster sizes and the numbering system.

However, the Saints actually have 3 numbers "retired"

81 Doug Atkins...the Saints first great player playing in his final years.
31 Jim Taylor....another very early Saint
and unofficially 8 Archie Manning.

As great as Brees is, I think the only number that should be added to that list is Steve Gleason because his circumstances are so extreme.

What you might notice here is that even though the Jersey numbers are officially retired they still get used.

i am not really a fan of retiring numbers. it gets too complicated and then you start running out of numbers. i like tribute jersey/banners, though.

i HAVE advocated for years, a tribute to the dome patrol LB corp. each jersey/banner hanging of jackson, swilling, mills and johnson IN formation...that would be sweet.

The NFL generally does not retired numbers because of the roster sizes and the numbering system.

However, the Saints actually have 3 numbers "retired"

81 Doug Atkins...the Saints first great player playing in his final years.
31 Jim Taylor....another very early Saint
and unofficially 8 Archie Manning.

As great as Brees is, I think the only number that should be added to that list is Steve Gleason because his circumstances are so extreme.

What you might notice here is that even though the Jersey numbers are officially retired they still get used.

81 has been "unretired". I remember this being an issue when someone randomly was issued the number and they were running out of numbers to hand out.

A ring of honor is an excellent idea and would have plenty of room for the names of great players. Dallas does it and it works well. The suggestion that Morstead should be on it brings up an issue. A Ring of Honor should be limited to retired players, not current ones.

The Saints are one of only two teams with its own Team Hall of Fame (I'm not sure of the other team). Would that not be some sort of conflict?

My suggestions are based on the assumption that the players' names would be added after their retirement. Also, we would have to assume that Morstead would continue to be a dominant kicker/punter.

Rickey Jackson, 57.

Archie Manning, 8.

Sam Mills, 51.

Steve Gleason, 37.

Deuce, 26.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom