Saints numbers that should be retired. (1 Viewer)

Bala Lowkz

Who Dat Supporter.!!
Reaction score
Well since its the offseason, and we have nothing to talk about let's have another fun debatable topic. I saw a thread for best players to a wear a certain number, so i ask who is worthy of having a number retired? Here are mine.

Obviously Drew Brees when it as all said, and done. So #9.

Archie mannings number was never officially retired, but it would be nice if they did. Probably won't happen though :(

David Hawthorne is currently wearing our first hall of famers number. That should never have happened. Jackson should have had his jersey number retired years back. So #57 to the list.

Before I mention #77 i will say Carl nicks deserved that honor, but roafs number should be either retired or never handed out again.

My last one goes to the best linebacker we ever had. The field mouse. The panthers barely had him for a few years and they retired his number. He deserves that honor in his first team. He was more dominant as a dome patrol general. Jonathan vilma is worthy of that honor, but that number should never be handed out again or if not only handed out to the best of talent at that position. RIP to Sam Mills. #51

well since its the offseason, and we have nothing to talk about let's have another fun debatable topic. I saw a thread for best players to a wear a certain number, so i ask who is worthy of having a number retired? Here are mine.

Obviously drew brees when it as all said, and done. So #9.

Archie mannings number was never officially retired, but it would be nice if they did. Probably won't happen though :(

david hawthorne is currently wearing our first hall of famers number. That should never have happened. Jackson should have had his jersey number retired years back. So #57 to the list.

Before i mention #77 i will say carl nicks deserved that honor, but roafs number should be either retired or never handed out again.

My last one goes to the best linebacker we ever had. The field mouse. The panthers barely had him for a few years and they retired his number. He deserves that honor in his first team. He was more dominant as a dome patrol general. Jonathan vilma is worthy of that honor, but that number should never be handed out again or if not only handed out to the best of talent at that position. Rip to sam mills. #51

51, 53, 56, 57

So 51, and 57 are retired but handed out? I don't mind vilma he deserves to have it but not Hawthorne.

I vaguely remember hearing somewhere that the NFL doesn't official allow jersey numbers to be retired to the extend that they will never be used. I could be mistaken, though.

I had a discussion a while back with someone about this and did a little research online.

I think because of the strict numbering system by position that the league uses and the number of players that each team starts the preseason with in the current day NFL, the league while not banning it, does frown upon teams retiring numbers.

I'm not sure if a team has to get league approval if they want to retire a number, but I would guess they might have to.

I believe I even read that while a team can retire a number, they can still re-assign it at a later time.

I vaguely remember hearing somewhere that the NFL doesn't official allow jersey numbers to be retired to the extend that they will never be used. I could be mistaken, though.

I think it falls just short of an outright prohibition but they do discourage it. This is why teams have gone to things like rings of honor instead to recognize past players.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom