Saints numbers that should be retired. (1 Viewer)

Saints numbers that should be retired?

Drew for one, (please end your career here Drew)...honestly, we just don't have that many.....Most if not all of our great players ended their careers somewhere else....Not that it's the all-important thing.... But a lot of teams can lay claim to it....

Don't retire numbers, but don't readily hand them out, either. Use a "ring of honor" system and put people's names w/ their numbers at the top of the stadium. That way, people like Hawthorne can look up and see that Jackson wore #57. If Hawthorne is later deemed worthy to be added to the circle, simply do something like this:
#57 Jackson (1981-1993)
#57 Hawthorne (2012-20??)

My "ring of honor" candidates:

#8 Manning
#7 Mortensen (special teamer, yes, but he was a SPECIAL special teamer)
#87 Horn
#26 McAllister
#9 Brees
#77 Roaf
#57 Jackson
#84 Martin
#51 Mills
#12 Colston
#29 Sammy Knight (?)

I'd also like to see some type of banner w/ standout special teams players listed:

#25 McAfee
#37 Gleason
#39 Reis (deserves credit for "Ambush")
#84 Lewis (Vince Papale my left butt cheek!!)
#19 Dempsey
#42 Gilliam
#40 Milne (based on suggestion in previous post)
#6 Morstead ("Ambush" again; could be promoted to Mortensen status after completion of his career)

I'm not a fan of retiring numbers. At some point, you'll have to "unretire" them.

I vaguely remember hearing somewhere that the NFL doesn't official allow jersey numbers to be retired to the extend that they will never be used. I could be mistaken, though.

I was thinking something similar. There are some teams where it isn't even practical if the have a history of excelence. What numbers would be left for a team like the Steelers.

A ring of honor is an excellent idea and would have plenty of room for the names of great players. Dallas does it and it works well. The suggestion that Morstead should be on it brings up an issue. A Ring of Honor should be limited to retired players, not current ones.

The Saints are one of only two teams with its own Team Hall of Fame (I'm not sure of the other team). Would that not be some sort of conflict?

As much as I love the idea or retiring a number, realistically, unless you want to start seeing numbers in the 100's, retiring numbers isn't very practical. What I'd do, is reserve numbers. So, for example, you are a RB, you come to NO, and you want #26. No, you can't have #26 until you prove you are worth wearing that number.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom