Saints O Line Coach Doug Marrone Vid On O Line Play. (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
I just did a loong post about the outlook for the team this year. In it, I said Dennis Allen is gonna bring a more aggressive, physical style of play to the team.

Right after, I found this vid from Doug Marrone, who’s back as our O line Coach.

And, man , even I got amped up n ready to play!!

😂 😂 😂

Not only is Marrone a helluva “teaching Coach”, but he also talks about the “attitude” needed to play O line! I think he’s gonna b an excellent fit for our O line, n esp for rookie Trevor Perning!

So enjoy, n lemme know what you think:

👍🏾👍🏾👍🏾

I didn't know that he coached Stinchcomb in college. But it's interesting that when he and CP arrived here, they had him play RT which benefited him and the team. Under Haslett, he was just riding the bench as LT.
Soon as he arrived here, Sean Payton pretty much overhauled the O line. He got rid of a few O linemen, he moved others around, IIRC, he brought in Faine to play C. Most importantly, he drafted a LT from tiny Bloomsburg St, moved him to RG, n Jahri went on to b one of the best OGs in da NFL!!!

Interesting concept about being very physical in pass pro. When I was playing I always felt that pass pro was where I got a chance to really punish DLs. Dependant on the protection scheme being deployed, but center was often free, or at least free late, and that was my time to punish whichever DL was closest. Punish DL's enough and eventually it begins to impact their approach to pass rushing, they begin to look for that second guy coming in to get a shot in after a couple of seconds.

This is not quite what Coach Marrone is talking about here, but certainly I feel it's in keeping with his principle of not treating pass pro as a more passive side of the game.

Last edited:
In the last few years, the Saints have been more of a “zone blocking” team in the run game. But Coach Marrone favors more “man blocking” schemes. Basically, zone blocking is about blocking in an area. Man blocking is a lil simpler: Put “ a hat on a hat” n beat da man in front of u!!!

In the last few years, the Saints have been more of a “zone blocking” team in the run game. But Coach Marrone favors more “man blocking” schemes. Basically, zone blocking is about blocking in an area. Man blocking is a lil simpler: Put “ a hat on a hat” n beat da man in front of u!!!
I think there's a lot of similarity in 'man blocking' and inside zone in terms of who blocks who. Outside zone concepts are perhaps closer to a notion of blocking a 'zone'. The main difference probably between an inside zone scheme and a gap blocking scheme ('man blocking') is that for inside zone the defined running lane is dependent on how blocks develop and how the defense reacts (i.e. bang, bend, bounce), whereas for a gap scheme there is a defined running lane which shouldn't change. You could very easily take an inside zone with a lead blocker and a traditional power/iso/lead play against the same front the 'hat on a hat' is essentially the same, and to a large extent how you block it is also the same.

Hopefully Ruiz and Peat are better on man blocking because they’ve definitely been exposed in whatever scheme we’ve run the past few seasons.

Interesting concept about being very physical in pass pro. When I was playing I always felt that pass pro was where I got a chance to really punish DLs. Dependant on the protection scheme being deployed, but center was often free, or at least free late, and that was my time to punish whichever DL was closest. Punish DL's enough and eventually it begins to impact their approach to pass rushing, they begin to look for that second guy coming in to get a shot in after a couple of seconds.

This is not quite for Coach Marrone is talking about here, but certainly I feel it's in keeping with his principle of not treating pass pro as a more passive side of the game.
IMO, one of the biggest reasons why the Saints have been so successful in the last 5 years is because they brought in more “teaching coaches”! It’s clear Coach Marrone is one of em! You can tell in how he’s able to “simplify” things in his explanations! I liked da part about being able to put a pole from ur head thru ur butt! 😂

IMO, one of the biggest reasons why the Saints have been so successful in the last 5 years is because they brought in more “teaching coaches”! It’s clear Coach Marrone is one of em! You can tell in how he’s able to “simplify” things in his explanations! I liked da part about being able to put a pole from ur head thru ur butt! 😂
Yeah, agreed. I'm hoping there's a rapid and marked impact. In particular, can we see rapid development from Penning....

Hopefully Ruiz and Peat are better on man blocking because they’ve definitely been exposed in whatever scheme we’ve run the past few seasons.
Lol, yeah I know Peat gets some knocks for his overall play. But he’s actually a pretty good run blocker. Some of Taysoms TD runs at the goal were the result of a bread n butter play with Peat pullin from LG as the lead blocker.

Ruiz is a different story. Hopefully Coach Marrone n the new scheme helps, but for now, I ain’t holding my breath! 😂 Even if he loses out at RG, I still think he makes the team as a backup C/G. We’ll see

Yeah, agreed. I'm hoping there's a rapid and marked impact. In particular, can we see rapid development from Penning....
Yep!! I think Penning has all the tools to play LT. But playin at Norhern Iowa, the level of coaching isn’t da simply isn’t da same! I think we got the right guy in Coach Marrone who can bring him along n develop him!

Thanks for the vid! I just saw another vid from Coach Marrone (no audio, Pass pro presentation) & I cant wait to see how Penning & Dox develop under his watch!

Last edited:
Thanks for this vid; great stuff.

Wondering what TCU Dan's take is on Marrone's info?

:gosaints:
Appreciate it ndcc! 👍🏾👍🏾👍🏾

I’m a really big fan of good O line play, n would love to hear ops from others as well!

Along with Marrone’s ability as a teacher, I also “sensed” a lil of what Dennis Allen wants outta his O line as well as his entire team this year:

WE are gonna play hard n smart. But WE are ALSO gonna b the more physical AND the more aggressive team every time we step on da field!

Sounds like winning football to me! 👍🏾

We’ll see

Worse mistake Sean Payton made was moving Dan Roushar to TE coach and replacing him with Brendan Nugent as Offensive line coach. The Offensive line went to crap in a hand basket. Think Dennis Allen realized he was a major problem because soon as he was named Head coach, Nugent was quick to get the axe and replaced by Doug Marrone.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom