Saints O Line Coach Doug Marrone Vid On O Line Play. (1 Viewer)

I jus did a loong post about the outlook for the team this year. In it, I said Dennis Allen is gonna bring a more aggressive, physical style of play to the team.

Right after, I found this vid from Doug Marrone, who’s back as our O line Coach.

And, man , even I got amped up n ready to play!!

😂 😂 😂

Not only is Marrone a helluva “teaching Coach”, but he also talks about the “attitude” needed to play O line! I think he’s gonna b an excellent fit for our O line, n esp for rookie Trevor Perning!

So enjoy, n lemme know what you think:

👍🏾👍🏾👍🏾

I Hope he moves right next door to Ruiz

Worse mistake Sean Payton made was moving Dan Roushar to TE coach and replacing him with Brendan Nugent as Offensive line coach. The Offensive line went to crap in a hand basket. Think Dennis Allen realized he was a major problem because soon as he was named Head coach, Nugent was quick to get the axe and replaced by Doug Marrone.
Good call, BC!

👍🏾

I jus did a loong post about the outlook for the team this year. In it, I said Dennis Allen is gonna bring a more aggressive, physical style of play to the team.

Right after, I found this vid from Doug Marrone, who’s back as our O line Coach.

And, man , even I got amped up n ready to play!!

😂 😂 😂

Not only is Marrone a helluva “teaching Coach”, but he also talks about the “attitude” needed to play O line! I think he’s gonna b an excellent fit for our O line, n esp for rookie Trevor Perning!

So enjoy, n lemme know what you think:

👍🏾👍🏾👍🏾

Around 1:35, where he goes off on his OL coach rant about aggression in pass blocking, he touches briefly on how important hand level is in a set, and how a lot of that has to be corrected in rookies due to coaching they received at the collegiate level (I can attest to that discrepancy a lot of OL coaches bring with how they coach run vs pass blocking--you really want a unified mentality in all things).

Anyway, that whole little 3 minute rant told me he is the perfect coach for Trevor Penning. The main thing Penning needs to fix is the low, inactive hands in his pass sets, and Marrone appears to be stickler for that and also understands how it relates to base and all the other components of a pass set.

Around 1:35, where he goes off on his OL coach rant about aggression in pass blocking, he touches briefly on how important hand level is in a set, and how a lot of that has to be corrected in rookies due to coaching they received at the collegiate level (I can attest to that discrepancy a lot of OL coaches bring with how they coach run vs pass blocking--you really want a unified mentality in all things).

Anyway, that whole little 3 minute rant told me he is the perfect coach for Trevor Penning. The main thing Penning needs to fix is the low, inactive hands in his pass sets, and Marrone appears to be stickler for that and also understands how it relates to base and all the other components of a pass set.
Appreciate that explanation, Dan.

I've got a sneaky suspicion that our O-line (under Marrone's leadership) will rise to a level of excellence in the same manner that our D-line rose to a level of dominance after Ryan Nielsen replaced Bill Johnson.

Also, don't ask me to "put the pipe down" when I add that Marrone may be able to bring Ruiz to an acceptable level of play. :ezbill:

:gosaints:

Hopefully Ruiz and Peat are better on man blocking because they’ve definitely been exposed in whatever scheme we’ve run the past few seasons.

Stanford is man blocking and Michigan is man blocking. Ruiz had to learn a new position and scheme.

I've brought this up before about a potential scheme change after researching Marrone as a position coach and the scheme's the lineman played in college.

I'll have to watch the video later when I'm not at work.

In the last few years, the Saints have been more of a “zone blocking” team in the run game. But Coach Marrone favors more “man blocking” schemes. Basically, zone blocking is about blocking in an area. Man blocking is a lil simpler: Put “ a hat on a hat” n beat da man in front of u!!!
The zone blocking may be where Ruiz is not as good. Maybe the man blocking will benefit his style of play. Hopefully.

I didn't know that he coached Stinchcomb in college. But it's interesting that when he and CP arrived here, they had him play RT which benefited him and the team. Under Haslett, he was just riding the bench as LT.

Stinchcomb as a rookie was never going to beat out Wayne Gandy or Jammal Brown.

Stinchcomb as a rookie was never going to beat out Wayne Gandy or Jammal Brown.
Stinchcomb was drafted in 03, and i'm assuming that he looked horrible at LT in practice or TC. I remember someone asked Hoakie on WWL and he kept saying that Stinchcomb isn't an NFL LT. Victor Riley was our RT (I believe) and he wasn't good at all.
All in all, that regime didn't have the vision to move him to RT. Instead he was just riding the bench.

My impression is that Bama fans were not happy with the job that Doug Marrone did as OL coach last year. Maybe, he got the blame for things that were out of his control though.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom