Saints O-line (1 Viewer)

I don't know exactly how it's going to play out this year on OL, but suffice it say it should prove interesting.

I'm still waiting on Forrest Lamp to show he's in the mix. If he's pushing for a starting role through high quality play, that's going to make a huge difference.

I want to see that 'year 1 starter' Zach Martin comp guy. In a year of many disappointments last year, not seeing Lamp step up was one of mine.
He was healthy last season? That’s disappointing indeed. I thought he was injured last year.

He was healthy last season? That’s disappointing indeed. I thought he was injured last year.
I think he was signed after coming back from an injury, and at least to some extent injuries have stunted his development. However, the time is now. He's got the potential. He needs to stay healthy and compete at a high level. I was hoping we might see that at the back end of last year but as far as I'm aware, he didn't really get any significant game time. Therein lies my disappointment. We watched some guys play last year who didn't look like they even belong on a practice squad, but no Lamp.

As at 18 Dec 2021:

"Lamp, a 2017 second-round pick of the Chargers, has not played yet this season for the Saints but has 25 career starts, including 16 last year with the Chargers."

Started all year for Chargers in 2020, but barely got off the practice squad for us despite significant injuries on OL in 2021. :(

Last edited:
I think he was signed after coming back from an injury, and at least to some extent injuries have stunted his development. However, the time is now. He's got the potential. He needs to stay healthy and compete at a high level. I was hoping we might see that at the back end of last year but as far as I'm aware, he didn't really get any significant game time. Therein lies my disappointment. We watched some guys play last year who didn't look like they even belong on a practice squad, but no Lamp.

As at 18 Dec 2021:

"Lamp, a 2017 second-round pick of the Chargers, has not played yet this season for the Saints but has 25 career starts, including 16 last year with the Chargers."

Started all year for Chargers in 2020, but barely got off the practice squad for us despite significant injuries on OL in 2021. :(
Ty for the insight. I agree that is very concerning and disappointing if he’s healthy and was unable to make the lineup.

Wondering if this will be an NFL first to have 4 first rounders and a second rounder as your starting 5 on the O line.

Ram isn’t moving. Penning was drafted to replace Armstead at LT. Hopefully, Marrone can coach up Ruiz and Peat, and Peat can stay healthy.

I think DA wants his ENTIRE team to play like his D: Smart, hard, fast, aggressive n PHYSICAL! Playin aggressive n physical on O starts wit da O line. So DA hires Doug Marrone, who teaches n preaches physical O line play. Then he drafts Penning, who’s as physical as they come!

At WR, Michael Thomas, Trequan Smith n Jarvis Landry may not be the fastest, but all 3 are PHYSICAL!
Do we know if that is the 5 4sho? Definitely thats the hope, and probably the most under-discussed topic is who are the 5 best OL in this group??
Ram
McCoy
Peat
Hurst
Penning
Ruiz
Young
The good news with these 7 is they make for a nice, young “core” for returning O line Coach Doug Marrone to work with. That said, again I’d like Coach to keep Penning on the left side n work him at both LT n LG, n keep Landon on the right side n work him at RT n RG! But I wanna see Penning “compete” with Hurst at LT, n esp see Young “compete” with Ruiz at RG!

If Penning beats him out, Hurst remains a versatile, solid backup at OT r G. If Young beats him out, Ruiz remains a solid versatile backup at G r C.

Makes sense, at least in paper! 😂

Ruiz is a TRUE Center playing guard and is struggling because he is still adjusting to playing a position he never played not even in Highschool.

There was a play ore covid to move Ruiz to center and have McCoy at guard that did not pan out because of covid and coaches not wanting to break continuity in a shortened off-season.

It will be interesting to see if they still have faith in the current lineup or if they mix it up a big to get the most out of the players. I personally see the lineup being the same sans Penning at LT, even though I think Ruiz is not an ideal fit at guard

Ruiz is a TRUE Center playing guard and is struggling because he is still adjusting to playing a position he never played not even in Highschool.

There was a play ore covid to move Ruiz to center and have McCoy at guard that did not pan out because of covid and coaches not wanting to break continuity in a shortened off-season.

It will be interesting to see if they still have faith in the current lineup or if they mix it up a big to get the most out of the players. I personally see the lineup being the same sans Penning at LT, even though I think Ruiz is not an ideal fit at guard
Agreed. Ruiz was drafted/came in as a C. So in his defense, it’s not his fault dat he got put in to start at RG.

But I don’t wanna see a Ruiz/McCoy swap at C/RG at this point either( Too late for dat)! N I don’t wanna see Ram move to LT n Penning play at RT! Fortunately, on the latter, DA has made it CLEAR that Ram will stay at RT, n Penning will play on the left side at LT, with/behind Hurst!

Hopefully, Ruiz will improve under new O line Coach Doug Marrone. Quiet as kept, the very first day after DA was officially introduced as the Saints new HC, he hired Marrone! Says alot bout wat DA thought about O line Coach Nugent: Not much at ALL! 😂

Ruiz will go into TC as the starter, but IMO, RG will b the most competitive position on the O line. I hope Marrone gives Landon Young a chance to compete there. Young will need a lil more work n development on his technique, but I think he’s got all the skills to play G!

We’ll see! 👍🏾

Penning will be our starting left tackle on opening day.
I think DA wants his ENTIRE team to play like his D: Smart, hard, fast, aggressive n PHYSICAL! Playin aggressive n physical on O starts wit da O line. So DA hires Doug Marrone, who teaches n preaches physical O line play. Then he drafts Penning, who’s as physical as they come!

At WR, Michael Thomas, Trequan Smith n Jarvis Landry may not be the fastest, but all 3 are PHYSICAL!

The good news with these 7 is they make for a nice, young “core” for returning O line Coach Doug Marrone to work with. That said, again I’d like Coach to keep Penning on the left side n work him at both LT n LG, n keep Landon on the right side n work him at RT n RG! But I wanna see Penning “compete” with Hurst at LT, n esp see Young “compete” with Ruiz at RG!

If Penning beats him out, Hurst remains a versatile, solid backup at OT r G. If Young beats him out, Ruiz remains a solid versatile backup at G r C.

Makes sense, at least in paper! 😂
Penning is so physical and nasty, he's not going to be able to dominate in the NFL that way (is he??), but you need that attitude on the field. Ram has LT clauses in his contract and with Penning's physicality on the right side to handle the bigger LDEs it would make sense. And I agree Ruiz is a center not a guard at this point. If McCoy is a better player can he make the move to RG?

Penning is so physical and nasty, he's not going to be able to dominate in the NFL that way (is he??), but you need that attitude on the field. Ram has LT clauses in his contract and with Penning's physicality on the right side to handle the bigger LDEs it would make sense. And I agree Ruiz is a center not a guard at this point. If McCoy is a better player can he make the move to RG?
As for Ram movin to LT, DA himself said dat ain’t happening! He said the Saints have “invested” ( time wise) in Ram with his years at RT n wanna keep him there! Ram is a legit top 3 RT in the NFL! So you DONT move a player who’s that GOOD at his position!

DA also said Penning would come in to compete n play LT. Trust me, the Saints ( DA, Doug Marrone, Dan Roushar) did their homework on da guy! They were neither blind or “reaching” when they drafted Penning to play da position! They know he’s a good player, but will need some time to develop n work esp on his technique, esp his hand usage. That’s a big reason why he was available when we selected him (the 4th LT drafted in the 1st rd) at 18. But the Saints also had an “ace in da hole” in LT James Hurst, who started 9 games at LT last season, n played pretty well.

No doubt, Penning is a physical stud! But he’s also VERY athletic!!! If/when he starts will mostly depend on how coachable he is, n how quickly he learns.

For the most part. it’ll all b in his HANDS!

😉 😉 😉

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom