Saints offense flying high with low-key Pete Carmichael Jr. calling plays (1 Viewer)

theSpaniard

Make It Rain
Reaction score
Saints offense flying high with low-key Pete Carmichael Jr. calling plays

METAIRIE, La. -- A few things you may not have noticed if you aren’t paying close attention to the New Orleans Saints this year:

Their offense looks as good as ever. They’re leading the NFL with 434.5 yards per game and a phenomenal third-down conversion rate of 53 percent. Their yards gained, points scored and Drew Brees' passing yardage, passer rating and touchdown pace all rank among the three best in the Brees-Sean Payton era.

The offensive coordinator’s name is Pete Carmichael Jr. You probably already knew that last one. But then again, maybe you didn’t.

Carmichael, who is calling the plays for the first time since 2012, is one of the NFL’s brilliant offensive minds, but he has always been content to operate in the shadows of Payton and Brees since they all arrived together in 2006.

Carmichael laughed Friday when asked if he’s upset with the media for not giving him enough credit or attention.

“I would say among the group here, there’s a lot of guys on our staff and a lot of players who deserve credit. This is a team thing,” Carmichael said. “And if you were to ask my wife, we’re probably more of the ‘stay at home and just kinda do our own thing’ a lot of times.”

New Orleans Saints offense flying high under Pete Carmichael Jr. - New Orleans Saints Blog- ESPN

Jeez, why bring him to the spotlight when he doesn't want to? I don't want him as the Bears next HC.

To me, it seems like Payton is getting back to his coordinators doing what they do best. I think he wanted control of everything to re-create what we had 09-11. This is huge for the team. I suspect Allen has more freedom to do what he wants as well. The result is what we are seeing on the field.

You can do a lot of things good, but only one thing great.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom