Saints Offensive Line holding its own.. (1 Viewer)

Saints#34

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
I was just perusing some stats, checking out Drew Brees' production this year. I heard someone on ESPN say he was a legitimate MVP candidate and thought it was a little over the top, so I wanted to check it out.

Turns out he has some pretty good numbers, but what stuck out to me is the sacks. He's only been sacked 8 times in 8 games. Thats 284 pass attempts and he's been brought down 8 times.

That's the lowest total of any QB that has started all season. The only two with fewer sacks are Harrington (5 sacks, 4 starts, 178 att) and Vince Young ( 7 sacks, 5 starts, 150 att). Not even comparable.

The three QBs with more attempts than Brees have a combined 61 sacks.

Brees is really having a phenomenal season, especially as of late, but a lot of that credit goes to the offensive line. Any quarterback looks terrible if he's constantly under pressure, and many look very good if they're kept clean.

There's a reason he's on pace for 4,400 yards and 28 touchdowns. We're playing well as a team and the O-line is protecting our QB about as well as it can be done.

S 34, I was just perusing the same sacks allowed stats you were. They are indeed very impressive. I know th offensive line is not as weak as originally believed, but a big reason for so few sacks is the design of the offense and the play of Drew Brees.

Payton has this offense designed for lots of 3 and 5 step drops. The OL doesn't have to hold the block as long and Brees is very decisive getting the ball out very quickly. Kudos also to Doug Marrone for getting the OL to play as a unit so quickly. Good teamwork all around.

I have been watching the Saints religiously since '79, and I've never seen a better Saints O-Line...

I have been watching the Saints religiously since '79, and I've never seen a better Saints O-Line...

No way. The post above has it right, imho. Drew Brees makes this offensive line look good.

S 34, I was just perusing the same sacks allowed stats you were. They are indeed very impressive. I know th offensive line is not as weak as originally believed, but a big reason for so few sacks is the design of the offense and the play of Drew Brees.

Payton has this offense designed for lots of 3 and 5 step drops. The OL doesn't have to hold the block as long and Brees is very decisive getting the ball out very quickly. Kudos also to Doug Marrone for getting the OL to play as a unit so quickly. Good teamwork all around.

That's true, and Miami is evidence of that fact (the impact of the QB and the scheme on the o-line) as when they replaced Culpepper (who holds on to the ball a long time) with Harrington (who gets it out quickly), the sacks went from 21 in 4 games to 5 in 4 games.

You will probably see something similiar with Tony Romo/Drew Bledsoe.

That said, the significant thing to me, is while Harrington in the process of getting the ball out quickly throws a lot of Interceptions in the process, Brees is just as lightening quick (if not quicker) and typically makes excellent decisions in the process.

The 2000-2001 o-line of Roaf (in his prime), Turley (before he went nuts and at RT), Naeole (who was underrated because Ditka took him way to soon), Fontenot, and Wally Williams (when he didn't suck for us) was probably the best Saints o-line ever.

The 2000-2001 o-line of Roaf (in his prime), Turley (before he went nuts and at RT), Naeole (who was underrated because Ditka took him way to soon), Fontenot, and Wally Williams (when he didn't suck for us) was probably the best Saints o-line ever.

The '91 O-line of Haverdink, Dombrowski, Hilgenberg, Trapillo, and Brock was our best O-Line ever--'til now. They were just workhorses. Had Haverdink not gotten hurt, he could've been special. Brock is the 2nd best O-Lineman we've ever had. Dombrowski was a bit of a bust overall, especially at tackle, but he was a monster in the running game at LG. Trapillo was consistent and mean. Hilgenberg was small but fiery and quick.

The "01 group was very good but Naeole was definitely overrated. I loved Roaf and he is our all-time best O-Lineman, but that group didn't seem to be nearly as consistent or athletic. I remember wanting to throw things at the TV because of those guards not keeping good form and getting run over.

It's still early, but with Brown at LT, Nezbit LG, Faine C, Evans RG, and Stinch at RT we have the most athletic and consistent O-Line I've ever seen for the Saints. I think they are strong in the running game and passing game. We have a great chemistry going too. I know Brees is playing great and that helps appearences, but this line is playing lights out like I've not seen.

Freak, this is a young line and that is what is most impressive. They have a bright future and we even have some depth with Strief and even Holland if he sticks around. Even Faine is a young guy and all these guys have their future ahead of them.
In terms of the sacks, it is a combination IMO of Brees inate ability to slip and slide while still focusing on the receiving options and the line giving his time. Pretty impressive for a unit just learning how to work together.

The '91 O-line of Haverdink, Dombrowski, Hilgenberg, Trapillo, and Brock was our best O-Line ever--'til now. They were just workhorses. Had Haverdink not gotten hurt, he could've been special. Brock is the 2nd best O-Lineman we've ever had. Dombrowski was a bit of a bust overall, especially at tackle, but he was a monster in the running game at LG. Trapillo was consistent and mean. Hilgenberg was small but fiery and quick.

Yeah, I forgot about the '91 group. This is really an interesting thread idea. We should do a bunch of polls on "best ever units". But that's more of an offseason sort of deal I suppose.

I wouldn't be so quick to heap accolades on our o-line. Yeah they have been protecting Brees pretty darn well. But we also have a short passing game and Brees gets the ball out quick. Also have you checked our rushing ranks. We have rushed 92.8 yards per game, good enough for 27th in the league. Ouch.

Coaching has to get the accolades as well as QB. I believe this line is being used to its abilities. They seem to be better at pass protection than rushing, so what's a coach gonna do.

Brees and Payton are having MVP seasons!

Considering how young & inexperinced this OL is you have to give them their
credit due. I know Drew has a quick release and takes alot of 3 & 5 step
drops, but we really need to appreciate this OL. I guess what really excites
me is the "UP" side I believe this OL has. Can you imagine with another year
or two playing together gaining experience & cohesivness as a unit what
type of a line they could be?

Yeah, this line is DEFINITELY playing better than expected, and that's more than a pleasant surprise. But let's maybe get some kind of rushing attack together before we anoint them Best Saints Line Ever.

Brees's quick release has helped a great deal in preventing sacks, but his mobility is also important. He has an uncanny ability to sense pressure and move up in the pocket or roll out and complete passes.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom