Saints offer OG/C Matt Lehr a contract (2 Viewers)

Faine defects, gives Bucs our Offensive secrets...

Mr. Lehr, we'd like to offer you a contract...

Was it him or someone else that has had problems with roids and if he gts caught again, he will be out a year? If so................is he a good pick up even if he can play 22 positions??????

Yes, he has served a 4 game suspension for steroids (2006?).

and I heard Mickey Loomis say this draft is deep with RBs and DTs... So, my guess is that we don't trade up for Dorsey or Ellis.

Well, this would make it less of a priority to draft an interior offensive lineman for the third year in a row which gives us a little more flexibility in the draft because we were either going to have to stick with Duckworth as a backup or go out and draft someone.

Well, wasn't Hartwig considered an above average center with the Titans? I don't know what happend the last two years in Carolina...hindered by injuries I guess. I was hoping that a fresh start in New Orleans could rejuvenate him. I'll admit I don't know that much about Lehr though.

I think Hartwig was a victim of the Panthers moving more towards a zone blocking scheme.

Strictly schematically speaking, and from a "role player" standpoint, Lehr is probably better. He's quicker, had his success doing the sorts of things we'll ask him to do, and has played multiple positions.

Hartwig signed with Pittsburgh anyways.

I think Hartwig was a victim of the Panthers moving more towards a zone blocking scheme.

Strictly schematically speaking, and from a "role player" standpoint, Lehr is probably better. He's quicker, had his success doing the sorts of things we'll ask him to do, and has played multiple positions.

Hartwig signed with Pittsburgh anyways.

Oh, okay. I wasn't aware that Hartwig signed. Based on your input Lehr sounds like a better fit anyway.

He's filling Jonathan Goodwin's role from last year. Backup utility lineman.

Exactly what I was thinking. I like the idea of him being able to fill in at guard or center. I highly doubt it, but I wonder if he pushes for the starting guard or center spot.

Matt Lehr ? doesent he host a morning news program or something.:idunno:

Last edited:
I made this post in the old "The Saintd are pursuing Matt Lehr" thread -

If you haven't noticed this team is paper thin at Guard/Center. Right now the team's backup G's are Tim Duckworth (a journeyman signed off the street last year) and Andy Alleman. Alleman got abused last preseason by camp body DTs. His 295 lb weight showed when facing 300+ DTs. Right after the well known cocky Alleman was drafted he arrogantly declared he would be a starter very soon for the Saints. He was noticably silent by the end of TC. He's a long term project and might be only suited to play Center in the NFL. We should get a better idea this preseason if the team has anything more than a backup in Alleman. But he's got a long way to go....how far? Well if he plays twice as good this preseason as last he'd be a marginal NFL backup.

The team has to do something about a backup Guard/Center. Lehr's recent steriod history is troublesome but he's being pursued as a pure depth. If he can get past the charges then he should sign for cheap and would be adequate depth. If not the Saints are going to have to use one of their precious few draft picks on one.

Haven't heard of many G/C's in the upcoming draft... Any chance of taking a center maybe 5th round?? Are there any solid choices there?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom