Saints Offseason article (1 Viewer)

That's a pretty good analysis on the saints offseason needs, it exsposes every concern I have and it seems pretty obvious what this team needs and who needs to go or take a seat, and for that I feel confident are needs will be met, I just hope we pick not only the right position, but the right "type" of player for these positions.

That's a pretty good analysis on the saints offseason needs, it exsposes every concern I have and it seems pretty obvious what this team needs and who needs to go or take a seat, and for that I feel confident are needs will be met, I just hope we pick not only the right position, but the right "type" of player for these positions.

Seems like this teams needs have been obvious for a few years now but haven't been addressed so no matter how obvious it may be to the many fans we have to hope the team realizes it's short comings and focuses on addressing those areas of need.

Priority List:

Linebacker
Cornerback
Defensive Tackle
Tight End

that's my list.

Seems like this teams needs have been obvious for a few years now but haven't been addressed so no matter how obvious it may be to the many fans we have to hope the team realizes it's short comings and focuses on addressing those areas of need.

Priority List:

Linebacker
Cornerback
Defensive Tackle
Tight End

that's my list.

My List

Linebacker
Defensive Tackle
Cornerback
Tight End
Offensive Guarrd

Good post...thanx...the Devery line is classic :9:
I think he was also correct with the Hollis statement and we need to keep this in mind at draft time........

That is a good analysis. It's almost like he has researched saintsreport.com for his info. I agree that we should either reach up for Ellis or reach back and collect a CB like Rogers-Cromartie, McKelvin or Talib. The more I think about the LB depth in the draft, the more I think we will not draft Rivers at 10. I also agree that DT, LB, and CB are all tied as the top needs for this team, but if I had tto rank them, I'd say:

LB
DT
CB
FS
G
WR

Last edited:
wonder why he does not think that we would go after a highly visible free agent at corner --

I do think the team will go after a marquee CB as a FA. Either that, or go after Lance Briggs, who will hit the open market and not be franchised (heard it on NFL Radio). Then again, that could just be 100% wishful thinking on my part. However, the team has indicated it will be a strong player in the free-agency market this year, and with glaring needs at CB and LB, one of those could happen.

On point and as acurate as a Drew Brees to Colston pass. From this article to the hearsts and minds of the FO. Only I wouldnt get rid of devery I woud change the way we use him. return guy and stretch guy on fly patterns. get some use out of a second round guy on special teams is his bests suit. teach him to cradle the ball and then run like hell

I agree that LB is a major need because a LB can make the most difference in the shortest period of time and from more than one aspect like stopping the run where the only LB we have that actually attacks the ballcarrier is Fujita, covering the screen and short area of the field and also rushing the passer so it would seem that you get the most bang for your buck from the LB position. However, we do realize that we desparately need D-Linemen because Hollis is getting too old and so is Young and even with the good play we've gotten from them, there is a ton of room for improvment and we need to address that. What some I think are overlooking is the subpar play of our DE's. Everyone says that they are getting fat and their production is falling off but I believe that part of that is due to the fact that we have no one pushing Grant or Smith and that leads me to think that if Vernon Golston is there at # 10 he could give us a MUCH better pass rush than either Smith or Grant and something that we also desparately need.

Last but definately not least, we are now and have been for over a decade, in need of serious improvment at the CB position. I am not sold on Young at all and saw much better potential in David Jones but that's water under the bridge now so we need to move on. I have no problem with the Saints taking the CB from Troy at #10 and the MLB Lofton? in round two and even another LB in round 3 because we need that many bodies added to those positions on our team.

One thing I think a lot of people have been missing is that you need to build your team 2 deep. If you go into the season with only one top player at a position regardless of position and that player gets hurt, your season could easily wind up in the trash bin. My point is that whatever the Saints do in the draft and FA, they need to look to add players at our positions of need, two deep. If we sign a DT in FA, we also need to draft or sign another in UDFA, if we sign a LB in FA, we still need to draft two more because even doing that, we'd still be only two deep at two LB positions and in trouble if the position that we don't double up on goes out with injury unless we have a player that can play that position as well. What all this adds up to is the fact that we actually need more than just 3 or 4 players to fix this teams problems on D and if we don't address the depth at the positions of need, we could well be waiting another year to get to the playoffs if we get hit with the injury bug.

Great article.(Loved the Henderson remark) I think this team needs to pickup 2 DT's, 2 LB's, & 2 CB's in the draft/FA.

I hope the front office reads that article. I can't disagree with any of the assessments or any of the suggested moves. Not all of the free agent moves will pan out, however, so the team needs a "Plan B." That said, in my view, there is no "Plan B" if they can't get a starting CB in fre agency..

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom