Saints Offseason Mock[2/10/08] (1 Viewer)

d3vanj

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
RESIGN
(my resignings are prettymuch the same as Droopy's)

David Patten - Provided veteran guidance for our younger guys, and had a great year with the Saints. He's worth re-signing.
Billy Miller - He outplayed Eric Johnson and earned his starting spot. Very fast TE, and a good blocker.
Jonathan Goodwin - Provides depth at O-Line, and can hopefully crack the starting lineup this year.
Terrance Copper - Solid special teamer and shows good hands when he has a chance
Brian Young - Strong guy at DT and could get to the QB good, and provides depth and helps the rotation

FA

Corey Williams, DT
x3281_large.jpg

Packers aren't expected to re-sign him seeing as they have plenty of young blood at DT, and since Haynesworth will probably be re-signed or tagged, saints snag up the best DT on the market.

Calvin Pace, OLB
169qjiu.jpg

Pace is a solid linebacker who could easily beat out Shanle for the starting spot, and will help strengthen the weak defense of the Saints.

Chris Clemons, DE
168zu9v.jpg

Clemons is a solid 3rd down pass rusher who will help get the Saints defense off the field on 3rd and long, a problem they greatly struggled with this year.

Randall Gay, CB
gay.gif

Gay is a solid corner who could take over the starting spot if McKenzie doesn't come back. He is a great man cover guy, and he's a definite upgrade over anybody we have right now, excluding McKenzie.

Andre Davis, WR
andredavis.jpg

Davis is a speedy, sure handed receiver who can take over Devery's old role, and he is also a threat on special teams, which the Saints are lacking.

DRAFT

1) Leodis McKelvin, CB, Troy
PH2007091500115.jpg

McKelvin is one of the top corners in this draft, if not the best. He has great man cover skills, speed, and is also a threat in the return game. He rarely blows coverage and has great ball instincts.

2) Jarod Mayo, ILB, Tennessee
764449.jpeg

Mayo is a sure tackler who has great speed and is good in coverage as well. He has made a recent change from OLB to ILB and he was amazing at his new position. He could be an instant starter if he can outplay our current starting lineup, which shouldn't be difficult.

3) Marcus Griffin, FS, Texas
2rgks34.jpg

Griffin will battle Bullocks and Kaesviharn for the starting spot, and I think he will make it. Has good speed and awareness, and can make a tackle in the open field, with the speed to run down some of the fastest receivers and running backs. He is also very good in coverage.

4) DJ Hall, WR, Alabama
djhall.jpg

Hall slips in the draft into the early 4th and Sean Payton can't resist. DJ Hall is fast with great hands who can find the holes in zone coverage, and break away from man coverage. He will help strengthen the WR corps of the Saints, and improve the potent offense.

5)Chris Harrington, DE, Texas A&M
PH2007080701790.jpg

Harrington is a strong guy who is a sure tackler, and will help keep the rotation in the D-Line rested and could easily develop into a starter in later years.

6)Preda Sosa, OT, Rutgers
sosa.jpg

Sosa is a solid blocker who will help provide depth at O-Line. He is a solid run blocker but excels in pass protection.

7)Kevin O'Connell, QB, San Diego State
2004-10-22s_canepa.jpg

Someone to compete for backup and provide depth

08 STARTING LINEUP
Offense
QB: Drew Brees
HB: Deuce McAllister, Reggie Bush, Pierre Thomas
FB:Mike Karney
WR:Marques Colston, Robert Meachem, Andre Davis, DJ Hall, David Patten
RT:Jon Stinchcomb
RG:Jahri Evans
C:Jonathan Goodwin
LG:Jamar Jesbit
LT:Jammal Brown

Defense
RE:Will Smith
DT:Corey Williams, Brian Young, Hollis Thomas
LE:Charles Grant / swap with Chris Clemons on 3rd downs
ROLB:Calvin Pace
MLB:Jerod Mayo
LOLB:Scott Fujita
CB: Randall Gay, Leodis McKlevin (Assuming MM doesn't come back 100%)
FS: Marcus Griffin
SS:Roman Harper

Last edited:
Pace is a 260lbs. 3-4 OLB that in no way could play WLB in the Saints 4-3 defense.

I like it, especially Gay and McKelvin, who I think would be a great pair of corners for us. Clemons and Davis are also those mid range free agents, who many teams look for depth in, but I think they could have a great impact with the Saints.

My problem with a lot of these mock drafts is that people see Goodwin/Faine as one or the other. It's not, signing both is the obvious thing to do. Sure, Goodwin impressed, but we are risking a lot making him the anchor of our sometimes shaky line. Keep Goody for a couple year's as Faine's understudy, then throw him in at the deep end. Goodwin could be had for a minuscule contract, but Faine's may be signifigant.

I like Goodwin, but if he is our starting OC next year, I think we have made a horrible decision.

I like it, especially Gay and McKelvin, who I think would be a great pair of corners for us. Clemons and Davis are also those mid range free agents, who many teams look for depth in, but I think they could have a great impact with the Saints.

My problem with a lot of these mock drafts is that people see Goodwin/Faine as one or the other. It's not, signing both is the obvious thing to do. Sure, Goodwin impressed, but we are risking a lot making him the anchor of our sometimes shaky line. Keep Goody for a couple year's as Faine's understudy, then throw him in at the deep end. Goodwin could be had for a minuscule contract, but Faine's may be signifigant.

I like Goodwin, but if he is our starting OC next year, I think we have made a horrible decision.

Why would signing Faine be a must? He is already under contract through 2009. Did he manage to void two years?

Why would signing Faine be a must? He is already under contract through 2009. Did he manage to void two years?
Sorry, I was under the impression that he is a free agent with Goodwin this offseason. If that is wrong I'm sorry I don't know why I thought that. Anyway I want both. The OP's mock depth chart has Goodwin as the starting C anyway.

I did a quick search, here are a few links suggesting Faine is a FA, but I can't find him on the FA lists.:dunno:
http://www.steeleraddicts.com/forum/showthread.php?p=180199#post180199
http://www.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=193785
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=Nfl&leaguenum=&id=2607

I just have him as starting because I'm hoping he shows enough to crack the starting line-up. I'm pretty sure Faine isn't a FA though.

Someone told me they saw on espn.com that we were looking at Samuels and Chad Johnson, but the Falcons are looking at Saumels also with more money on the block then us shrug can someone tell me if they saw this also.

i like it for the most part but i would say dont resign Brian Young, and in the third round get Trevor Laws DT out of ND. Other than that i would be thrilled if we really did get all of those FA's and drafted like this.....

I like your 1st pick a lot and I like your FA, It seems very realistic to me. But I don't know why we would pick a random QB in the 7th round.

Mainly for depth, Jamie Martin isn't getting any younger, and he could compete with Palko for the backup spot.

DT Starks - Instant young starter that won't break the bank.
WR Johnson - Will blow up with Brees and will allow Patten to move on.
Florence - He's better than David.

1. CB Jenkins - Could start opposite Florence.
2. MLB Lofton - Instant starter.
3. WR Bowman - Big fast WR a steal here.
4. DT Okam - Could start with Starks.
5. OLB Gatewood - Could take Shanle's spot. Big and fast.
6. DT Shirley - Another young, big body with a nasty streak.
7. TE Sperry - Could be an '08 Boss for the Saints. Good hands and blocking.

Lofton won't be there in the 2nd, and Okam won't slide past the 3rd

and Florence isn't really that good..I think he allowed something like 9.4 yards per pass, sure, it's better than David, but seriously..thats nearly a first down per pass. C'mon.....

I like your 1st pick a lot and I like your FA, It seems very realistic to me. But I don't know why we would pick a random QB in the 7th round.
I have to admit that I don't know this guy. But what makes him a RANDOM QB? I am sure that the scouts know who he is, and if he is good enough to be a 7th rounder and is rated higher than others, they'll take him. Again, I don't know if that is the case, but random?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom