Saints OL Andrus Peat’s struggles at tackle (1 Viewer)

Pdlc

NOT A FANBOY
Reaction score
I’ll start this off with the caveat that Peat was put in an almost unwinnable situation Thursday night, as he switched between LT and RT. The difference in footwork has been compared by some to shooting a basketball with your non-dominant hand, and forcing someone to make that switch mid-game is a tall order. That being said, Peat was a liability on both sides, allowing four pressures on 19 pass-blocking snaps, adding two penalties for good measure. It might be time to concede that Peat will be a guard in the NFL.

Got this from a PFF subscription. Link for those who can access:

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-5-winners-5-losers-from-nfl-preseason-week-1/

I also think that we should be playing Peat at LG rather than RG. He is a LT and therefore is accustomed to playing on the left side of the line. It seems to make more sense to try him at LG. Especially given the fact that Lelito played decent at RG and terrible at LG last season.

I understand why Payton wants Peat at RG. It gets him accustomed to the right side before having to inevitably replace Strief at RT.

Not good! A wasted pick at 13?

The Saints aren't doing him any favors by moving him all over both sides of the line. I don't know how they expect a young lineman to develop any consistency when they cannot make up their minds where they want him to play.

For comparison, Atlanta's Matthews had a disastrous first year at LT. Rather than try to slide him all over the place, they kept him at his natural position and he had a much improved second year, with the expectation that be become one of the better LT's in the league this year.

The issue here is clearly that he is being asked to play 3 positions.. Watching a couple of bad plays from the game he is stepping with the wrong foot and in one case was so frustrated with himself held just to protect the QB as he knew he was out of position immediately. I wont worry about Peat until he settles into one position and is given a chance to use his athleticism appropriately..

So we blew a top tier pick on a guard? Or RT at best when you can fill that spot easy in the later rounds? Said it at the time we should have drafted Davonte Parker

He is moved around because they are trying to find a spot for him. He may develop with practice, but right now he is not very good.

He is moved around because they are trying to find a spot for him. He may develop with practice, but right now he is not very good.

How do you know this? Could it be that you have more value as a player if you can play multiple positions?

The Saints aren't doing him any favors by moving him all over both sides of the line. I don't know how they expect a young lineman to develop any consistency when they cannot make up their minds where they want him to play.

For comparison, Atlanta's Matthews had a disastrous first year at LT. Rather than try to slide him all over the place, they kept him at his natural position and he had a much improved second year, with the expectation that be become one of the better LT's in the league this year.

I don't think the Saints coaches are worried about Peat. I think the reason he's constantly being shuffled along the line is a combination of things.

1. The coaches are confident he can handle the huge burden of learning he is being given.
2. There is not an established Guard on the roster.
3. Strief has had a great career, but his age showed last season.
4. Armstead started off on PUP.

Peat has gotten work at RG, LG, RT, and LT. Payton has also been very high on Peat. Every interview gives the impression Peat is being shuffled because the staff knows he will excel at whatever spot they determine to put him in, it is the other players battling at Guard and seeing which one will emerge. Can Strief show enough in camp that the coaches are comfortable enough to whole-sale Peat at Guard for this season? Who will emerge to be the other Guard, and will they be a LG or a RG?

The feeling I've always gotten was that it is not a matter of where Peat fits in, it's the other pieces they are putting together with the knowledge Peat's going to fit anywhere.

I don't think the Saints coaches are worried about Peat. I think the reason he's constantly being shuffled along the line is a combination of things.

1. The coaches are confident he can handle the huge burden of learning he is being given.
2. There is not an established Guard on the roster.
3. Strief has had a great career, but his age showed last season.
4. Armstead started off on PUP.

Peat has gotten work at RG, LG, RT, and LT. Payton has also been very high on Peat. Every interview gives the impression Peat is being shuffled because the staff knows he will excel at whatever spot they determine to put him in, it is the other players battling at Guard and seeing which one will emerge. Can Strief show enough in camp that the coaches are comfortable enough to whole-sale Peat at Guard for this season? Who will emerge to be the other Guard, and will they be a LG or a RG?

The feeling I've always gotten was that it is not a matter of where Peat fits in, it's the other pieces they are putting together with the knowledge Peat's going to fit anywhere.

I'm going with this for the time being. :hihi:

Hey, even Willie Roaf didn't start out at LT, he spent his rookie year at RT before settling in the next year at LT for a good spell.

On the other hand, it does remain a little disappointing that we had a no. 13 pick in the 2015 draft and we're still not sure he'll be a top-performing starter in 2016. You've simply got to his for enough value on those picks over a stretch of years to compete for a title. And that's not on Peat, it's on the guys picking.

This season he has been practicing at LT due to injury at that position
Of course the real question is why playing him there when he is expected to start at another position and not playing Hills at that position

If he is a LT I'm confused on why we drafted him, if he is going to be a guard why hasn't he played that position in camp

My confusion is with the coaching decisions with Peat

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom