Saints on Defensive Gameplan vs Raiders (1 Viewer)

Blessedog

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Now this is interesting

"It wasn't that type of game," defensive end Darryl Tapp said. "The game plan put in yesterday, it wasn't extremely conducive to (getting sacks), and it worked perfectly the first three quarters. Now, it's something that we'll have to constantly stress as far as getting even more pressure on the quarterback, but, like I said, the game plan we had yesterday was working. We just got to do a better job as a defense of finishing out the entire game."

The gameplan was specifically to defend Carr, who escaped pressure a few times.

"It wasn't full just pin your ears back and go," Tapp said. "You couldn't do that because this guy's an athletic quarterback."

Full article here New Orleans Saints know they have to be better rushing the passer | NOLA.com

Let's be honest guys. DA developed a masterful gameplan that held the Raiders in check for the vast majority of the game. What we have to examine is exactly why it fell apart and why we started allowing huge chunks of yardage. I think part of the reason is that they were fatigued and there were coverage breakdowns. Crawley having to come in really hurt us as well but there are lots of things to build on here. We can't afford any more losses in the secondary.

Well you know Eli is not going anywhere, so we will see if anything changes.

Now this is interesting

Full article here New Orleans Saints know they have to be better rushing the passer | NOLA.com

Let's be honest guys. DA developed a masterful gameplan that held the Raiders in check for the vast majority of the game. What we have to examine is exactly why it fell apart and why we started allowing huge chunks of yardage. I think part of the reason is that they were fatigued and their were coverage breakdowns. Crawley having to come in really hurt us as well but there are lots of things to build on here.

No matter how much sense you make, nobody is going to listen because we lost. We knew this was going to be a bend but don't break D. However all common sense goes out the window. I thought we did well until DB went out. Reminds me of how our D was decent until Jabari was hurt and never replaced a few seasons ago.

Cant wait to see these guys get after it. We have done this with Cam and Wilson also. Somewhat of a relief to know we just couldn't rush the passer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now this is interesting

Let's be honest guys. DA developed a masterful gameplan that held the Raiders in check for the vast majority of the game. What we have to examine is exactly why it fell apart and why we started allowing huge chunks of yardage. I think part of the reason is that they were fatigued and there were coverage breakdowns. Crawley having to come in really hurt us as well but there are lots of things to build on here. We can't afford any more losses in the secondary.

This makes sense and shines a light on why we played a 3-4 defense early on. It was to have a more athletic presence at LB on the field to help with containing car. Most of our 3-4 looks were either 3 or 4 man pressures. Meaning they weren't really looking to affect the passer out of these looks but to merely contain/play coverage.

It does make me question the use of Anthony who is likely your most Athletic LB yet was used the least of all the LB's. Kinda makes it seem like they don't trust him in coverage.

Eureka

It also hints at why the loss of Breaux hurt sooo much. If your gameplan is heavily coverage based losing your best coverage player will have an effect......especially if the gameplan isn't causing for the Passrush to affect the passer as much as it is to contain him. One could ask why not make an adjustment after Breaux went out but that's neither here nor there.

As stated above Manning isn't run threat Car is so we'll know how our Dline stacks up a little better after this week.

Here a thought, what are the chances that the reason Edebali played so little and Gwachum being inactive were both because of the game plan not really being to rush the passer? They both looked excellent during the preseason and I expected more action from them. Could we be looking at the inactive list constantly rotating based on opponent?

I think blowing it in the 4th had mostly to do with Breaux (no shocker there) and the defense becoming disoriented after he left. (It also had to do with the refs robbing us, but I digress).

So now that Breaux is gone, we get a week to at least gameplan around not having him.

That won't magically make our CBs better, but scheming can help matters.

No matter how much sense you make, nobody is going to listen because we lost. We knew this was going to be a bend but don't break D. However all common sense goes out the window. I thought we did well until DB went out. Reminds me of how our D was decent until Jabari was hurt and never replaced a few seasons ago.

The 60 ¨plus RB run had nothing to do with Breaux being out. The only play where it really hurt the team was on the 2point conversion.

Now this is interesting

Good insights - Thx!

As someone else posted, when Breaux went-out, our D seemed to fall apart. My best guess is that we also wore out in the 4th quarter. This happens with lack of talent depth. Did you see the Steelers rotating about 15-16 defensive players last night. And they were pretty fresh in the 4th quarter

The 60 ¨plus RB run had nothing to do with Breaux being out. The only play where it really hurt the team was on the 2point conversion.

I don't think Breaux could've done anything about the 2 pt conversion. Carr put the ball in a perfect spot and Crabtree used his body to create separation.

I do know that the 1st play Breaux was out, they targeted Crawley. So while I don't think the 2 pt conversion could've been stopped, I know the Raiders were very aware that Breaux was out. As far as the long run, where the hell was Byrd. That's the question I had most of the game. Where the hell is Byrd. The other big question I had was, why isn't Edebali in the game instead of Kruger. And I also don't buy for a minute that the game plan was to let Carr sit in a clean pocket all day and pick apart a young secondary.

Its hilarious really. Our inability to generate a pass rush is now game planned as the unwillingness to generate a pass rush.

No but Crabtree went from 1 catch and 8 yards before Breaux went out to 7 catches for 87 yards after is departure. We gave up 6 extra catches and about an extra 70 yards to Crabtree alone. Thats at least worth 1 less field goal and we loss by 1.

That 1 big run play was gut wrenching but it only happened 1 time on what was pretty solid run defense to that point with several TFL and 1,2, and 3 yard gains.

The matchup between Crabtree/Crawley and a few rough Ref Calls pretty much decided the game.

To SP's credit instead of trying to point out little things like the Brees int or the missed field goal he points out clearly. We have to play better.

We aren't a talented enough team to deal with a big injury, turnovers, and the refs. We've got to play mistake free ball and give ourselves a chance to win every game. Dropped passes (2 from cadet), missed FG's, unwarranted timeouts, turnovers, refs, and mistakes like jumping the wrong gap that results in a 70yd TD are not going to be conducive to us winning.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom