saints on the clock... (1 Viewer)

And we are still losing because we are giving up 35 points per game.

Our defense will always give up points. Just like in 09, even with all of the turnovers we got, we still gave up a lot of points. Offense is one thing that we do really well and unless there is a Patrick Willis or Ray Lewis available, then there is no need to go defense with our 1st pick.

And we are still losing because we are giving up 35 points per game.

Well my first thought would be "We must need a new defensive coordinator!"

My second thought would be... "Who in the world could we draft at 15 that would help out our scored against avg".. Hmmmm!!! People are quick to throw up that excuse but never offer to offer up any suggestions or players.

jones, the only one of the three offfering value, need and fit
austin offers fit but not really need nor value (just because he is a slot and a slot is never really a first round value)
richardson offers value but not need and is a terrible fit

Well my first thought would be "We must need a new defensive coordinator!"

My second thought would be... "Who in the world could we draft at 15 that would help out our scored against avg".. Hmmmm!!! People are quick to throw up that excuse but never offer to offer up any suggestions or players.

No kidding...they act like Ray Lewis is sitting there at 15 waiting for us.

Who in this draft is going to be this defense's savior at 15?

We absolutely need pass rushers; and since this should be the highest we pick before the end of the Brees era, this is the time to nab one. I'm just as high on Tez, Gallette, and Butler as the next guy but you can't have too many pass rushers. Worst case scenario everyone pans out and we can move Tez inside as a Lawrence Timmons kind of player.

We should grab a premier pass rushing talent, like Mingo, Ansah, Jones, Jordan, Carradine or the like.

However if a premier D-Line talent like Star or Richardson fall they should be considered too.

If you look at the best defenses, they don't have great players at every position. Rather they have solid players with a couple elite playmakers sprinkled in. We need a playmaker for our D to take the next step and since we are picking relatively high this year in a loaded class, this is our year to get one.

So... I like the potential of Jones to be that playmaker

We absolutely need pass rushers; and since this should be the highest we pick before the end of the Brees era, this is the time to nab one. I'm just as high on Tez, Gallette, and Butler as the next guy but you can't have too many pass rushers. Worst case scenario everyone pans out and we can move Tez inside as a Lawrence Timmons kind of player.

We should grab a premier pass rushing talent, like Mingo, Ansah, Jones, Jordan, Carradine or the like.

However if a premier D-Line talent like Star or Richardson fall they should be considered too.

If you look at the best defenses, they don't have great players at every position. Rather they have solid players with a couple elite playmakers sprinkled in. We need a playmaker for our D to take the next step and since we are picking relatively high this year in a loaded class, this is our year to get one.

So... I like the potential of Jones to be that playmaker

Well said!!

Did you know Ray Lewis was going to be a savior? There were a ton of knocks on him when he came out as well.

He's a WR. You play him at WR. You put him back at KR.. you put him back at PR. You can have them alll on the field at the same time ... that's the whole point.

He is a slot WR. That is where Moore plays. Neither are outside receivers. So who do you bench?

Outside the top 5 you can't expect to find a surefire Willis or Lewis. You have to take a chance on a guy with potential. If there is ever a guaranteed defensive playmaker he is gonna go top ten at the latest. However the middle of the first round is where you can get a guy with all-pro potential with a couple question marks. We are never going to get better on D picking as late as we do by taking "safe" players or waiting till the later rounds to address our needs.

We have too many solid yet unspectacular players on our D right now: Bunkely, Jenkins, Lofton, Hicks (as of now), Gallette, Butler, Martez, Greer, Lewis, Harper, Robinson. they only guy who actually looks better than solid in my opinion right now is Cam Jordan but while he is great at what he does he isn't a game changer.

He is a slot WR. That is where Moore plays. Neither are outside receivers. So who do you bench?

So if Moore is a slot WR, who is our other starting WR besides Colston?

I've been making this point for weeks. We have an issue brewing at WR.

I think I'm officially in the camp of drafting Tavon Austin if he's there. Believe me, I know how much we need impact players on defense, but I'm finding it hard to think that any of the available players (Mingo, Jones, Richardson, etc.) would have as much of an impact on D as Austin would have on offense from day 1. I just feel that, with your 1st rounder, you want to take the biggest impact player available, especially if it's a top 10-15 pick.

We're moving to a 3-4 defense with an emphasis on getting after the quarterback. That's a hell of a lot easier to do when you're up by 2 touchdowns every game, thereby forcing teams to play catch-up and your defense pinning their ears back to force qb's into bad decisions. In the two seasons that the Saints were an honest-to-god Superbowl caliber team (2009 and 2011), it was the offense's ability to consistently go up by 14-17 points that led to turnovers and defensive stops. Opponents knew that they were generally going to have to play from behind whenever they faced the Saints.

The Saints have always had a "wild-card" on offense, whether it's Reggie or Sproles, and Sproles isn't getting any younger. SP is all about creating mismatches and Austin could be the ultimate wild-card. A spread set with Colston, Moore, Austin and Graham, with Sproles coming out of the backfield? How sick is that?!? His presence on the field could take an extra defender out of the box, helping the running game and he could also give us an actual threat to take kickoffs to the house.

As it stands, it's a dream scenario anyway, since I believe Austin will be long gone by the 15th pick. I'd be more than happy to see the Saints go with Jones, Richardson or Mingo (just say no to Vaccarro). Hell, I wouldn't even be that upset with Fluker, since I think that Strief is a liability at RT. But if Austin is there, you best believe Payton will be salivating at the possibilities.

Where've u been for the last few years? We rotate our receivers like clockwork. We have one of THEE best play callers in the game. He'll find something to do with him. No ones askin him to be on the field on every single play. But if I must take out the pen and pad for you.

shotgun.png

images

Gun-TE-Trips-Right-Empty.jpg

slingshot300.png

Is it making more sense to you now? Put him where you want. And you can have Sproles AND Moore on the field at the same time :O. You do the math, you can put all the different combinations together. I could go on but I feel like im wasting my time. Go get on Madden and come up with some formations to work with. See?
folxc6.jpg
. I just did some quick googling.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom