Saints-only Mock Draft and Offseason moves... (1 Viewer)

Why dion Jordan? What has he done in college that would lead you to believe he will be able to step in and start? Who in the NFL put up that few sacks in college then became a stud? I just don't see it! 11 sacks in three years- there are DT with better numbers in this draft. He has talent but I don't think we have time for a project. Brandon Jenkins will be a better player from day one. His stats say he will.

Aldon Smith. Last year at Missouri--4.5 sacks. This past season in the NFL--19.5 sacks. By the way, that season at Missouri, he had only one QB hurry.

There are a number of factors that can impact numbers. Look at Mingo. He only had 4.5 sacks this season but more people are willing to have him on the team. With Jordan, you had a guy who was not used primarily as a rusher. They used him more in coverage than anything. But his suddenness and quick step, and speed off the edge tells you that he can be a dynamic pass-rusher. And when he has gotten the chance, he has exceled. I think Mingo and Jordan are very close and I would be ecstatic to have either one on the team. I think when it is all said and done, they will be impact pass rushers.

Look I am not saying the kid will not turn out to be a player. He just has never done it yet. Aldon Smith had 14.5 sacks in two years. Jordan has played three years, and??? I am not saying this kid might not develope. I'm saying we don't have time to wait for it to happen! If we had a loaded defense like the giants did when they took JPP that would be one thing, but we DON'T. We have the worse defense in the history of the NFL. We need playmaker now.

Look I am not saying the kid will not turn out to be a player. He just has never done it yet. Aldon Smith had 14.5 sacks in two years. Jordan has played three years, and??? I am not saying this kid might not develope. I'm saying we don't have time to wait for it to happen! If we had a loaded defense like the giants did when they took JPP that would be one thing, but we DON'T. We have the worse defense in the history of the NFL. We need playmaker now.

First, you are judging him for the way he was utilized in Oregon's scheme. I wish I had some statistics on how much he actually got a chance to rush the passer versus was used in coverage.

Second, I would be more leery of a player who goes from 11.5 sacks to 4.5 sacks. Absent any context, it looks like serious regression.

Third, there is a reason why Dion Jordan is so highly rated by persons like Mike Detillier, Gil Brandt and others. He has exceptional ability and while I think he will need to polish his technique, he is a player who I feel will be productive from day one. It's kind of like Jimmy Graham. Graham has been a monster and yet he's only scratching the surface; he still has not learned fully how to play the tight end position but is able to do dominate. I envision Jordan in the same mold, as a Jimmy Graham on the defensive side of the ball. In other words, I think he will be a playmaker NOW and a better player as he progresses forward.

Finally, it is important to keep in mind that Jordan has played injured and requires surgery. If you look at his sack numbers, he had 5 in the first 7 games, then tailed off the rest of way. Later on, we find out that he has a torn labrum. He still forced 3 fumbles. By the way, he had 14.5 sacks in his career, 12.5 the last two years despite not being a primary rusher.

Ansah played one year of college ball like Jimmy Graham( who was not a first round pick either). Jordan played three. He is good in coverage I agree with that. As far as him being hurt that just adds to my point. Will he be ready for camp? I would hate to have a first round pick that is a project that has to miss some are all of camp. How did those pros have Ryan leaf rated??? Look I ain't going to change your mind, and you ain't going to change mine, or the stats. We may just have to agree to disagree. I just don't think a player from a weak conference who could not put up big numbers will be able to against pro players! It just my opinion though.

Here's a projected depth chart to go along with my offseason projection and mock draft...

2013 Depth Chart

QB – Drew Brees, Chase Daniel
RB – Mark Ingram, Darren Sproles, Pierre Thomas, Chris Ivory
FB – Jed Collins
TE – Jimmy Graham, David Thomas, Michael Higgins
WR – Marques Colston, Lance Moore, Brian Hartline, Joseph Morgan, Nick Toon
LT – Jermon Bushrod, Oday Aboushi
LG – Ben Grubbs, Braden Hansen
C – Brian De La Puente, Eric Olsen
RG – Jahri Evans, Ricky Henry
RT – Zach Streif, Charles Brown, Marcel Jones
---------------------------------------------------------------

DE – Akiem Hicks, Tom Johnson, Braylon Broughton
NT – Broderick Bunkley, Kwame Geathers,
DE – Cam Jordan, Tyrunn Walker, Braylon Broughton
ROLB – Junior Galette, Martez Wilson, Keyaron Fox
ILB – Larry Grant, Chris Chamberlain
ILB – Curtis Lofton, Ramon Humber, Austin Johnson
LOLB – Dion Jordan, Martez Wilson, Keyaron Fox
SS – Roman Harper, Rafael Bush, Cooper Taylor
FS – Malcolm Jenkins, Isa Quddus, Jericho Nelson
CB – Jabari Greer, Patrick Robinson, Greg Toler, Elbert Mack, Cory White

I really have to agree with jarabie, the Dion Jordan pick doesn't make any sense. It's not a need position, and his production is really lacking considering how weak Oregon's schedule was.

I'd be okay with the pick if none of the good OT's are still on the board, but I'd honestly be happier if we traded to the back of the first round to get Elam or Reid. I will take Jordan over Ansah any day of the week though.

Also, there's no way we're keeping Bushrod. A lot of GMs are going to be fighting over who can overpay him more, and the Saints can't afford to be in that mess.

I really have to agree with jarabie, the Dion Jordan pick doesn't make any sense. It's not a need position, and his production is really lacking considering how weak Oregon's schedule was.

WOW!! A pass rushing OLB is not a need position?!!! It would be crazy to depend on Gallette and Wilson. Where were they this past season when we needed a pass rush? Hopefully they can develop, but the more pass rushers we can add the better this transition will be.

I'd be okay with the pick if none of the good OT's are still on the board, but I'd honestly be happier if we traded to the back of the first round to get Elam or Reid. I will take Jordan over Ansah any day of the week though.

Also, there's no way we're keeping Bushrod. A lot of GMs are going to be fighting over who can overpay him more, and the Saints can't afford to be in that mess.

Jordan's stats don't illustrate just how good of a pass rusher he is, or CAN BE. Pass rush aside, Jordan's skills in coverage from the OLB position would be HUGE in our new defense! No more TEs having their way with us at will.

Look y'all I agree a pass rush OLB is a need, but only one of our needs. Why take a flyer on a project when we can get a proven player that has done it. We can get a pash rush OLB that has done it later in the draft. This guy may not even be ready for camp, and he needs the work. It may be the way he was used, but that means he will need the work on his technique. He is very talented I do not deny it. Just in our situation as the worst defense in the history of the NFL we need to use our high picks on players that can walk in and help us now!

DWD-I would be down for those moves and I agree with El Caliente about Hartline.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom