Saints open -3.5 at Carolina in Week 2 (1 Viewer)

People are going to jump all over this. That line will creep closer to 6 before kickoff.

The public will say, "The Saints just monkey stomped the Packers and the reigning MVP so surely they'll beat the Panthers by at least a touchdown!" The Saints will promptly win a 24-21 overtime nail biter.
No way no how that goes to 6.

Good preparation via good coaching played a large part in the victory over the Packers.

I hope that our coaches having COVID won't hurt us too much in this game. I'm sure that oddsmakers don't care about this too much but it concerns me.

If you give the traditional 3 points for the home team, that's 6.5 on a neutral field and 9.5 in NOLA. That seems right. If anything it might be a little too skewed to our side. I would think the line ends up closer to -2.5.
I was expecting -2.5 as well, I think I’ll sit and let that move

I am a bit surprised that the Saints opened as a 3.5 point favorite against the Carolina Panthers. I am surprised it wasn't a bit higher (like 5).

This is not going to be a "trap" game. This is division game number 1, and I believe the Saints will be ready.
There is no such thing as a non-biased human. People can be biased and not aware of this. I think it will take several games with Winston at the helm, to make people forget the post Brees era.

People are going to jump all over this. That line will creep closer to 6 before kickoff.

The public will say, "The Saints just monkey stomped the Packers and the reigning MVP so surely they'll beat the Panthers by at least a touchdown!" The Saints will promptly win a 24-21 overtime nail biter.
No way no how that goes to 6.

The Panthers looked OK in their win against the Jets. The only part of their team that impressed me was their D-Line - they got push every single play and sacked Wilson at least 6 times. Is the Jets O-Line that bad, or does Carolina have a really good front 4? (or a little of both?)

The Panthers looked OK in their win against the Jets. The only part of their team that impressed me was their D-Line - they got push every single play and sacked Wilson at least 6 times. Is the Jets O-Line that bad, or does Carolina have a really good front 4? (or a little of both?)

The Jets last year were bottom 10 team in sacks allowed and a 2-14 team overall. The Carolina defense has a good line, but the first game isn't a great indicator that they are going to be that dominant.

Right now, all Jameis has to do is to not lose any games. The defense will definitely keep us in the games. But when Jameis really starts mastering this offense, we are going to see another dimension of the Saint's offense that not even the GOAT Brees could provide. I bet Payton is just all giddy in his pants playing with his new toy Winston. It's almost like a video game that you have to learn what all the controls can do before you can master your domain. Each week, Jameis will get more comfortable and Payton will add to his game plan.

This will be an exciting year.

Let’s not get carried away now! Was awesome to see Saints play that well and I’m really excited about the season! However, Brees is probably top 5-10 QB to ever play the game, and except for the last 2 years, his deep passes were pretty darn good! Part of excelling at deep passes, is baiting the safety. And not sure if there ever was somebody better at that than Drew!

Down to -3(-115) at some place. Hope it doesn’t drop down to -2.5.

Let’s not get carried away now! Was awesome to see Saints play that well and I’m really excited about the season! However, Brees is probably top 5-10 QB to ever play the game, and except for the last 2 years, his deep passes were pretty darn good! Part of excelling at deep passes, is baiting the safety. And not sure if there ever was somebody better at that than Drew!

From my original post: "But when Jameis really starts mastering this offense, we are going to see another dimension of the Saint's offense that not even the GOAT Brees could provide." I agree with you that "Brees is probably top 5-10 QB to ever play the game" I'll take that even further and say he is in the top 3 to ever play this game. But, as great as Brees was, he was not a mobile QB. And Brees never had a rocket of an arm. Yes he could pass the ball sometimes with velocity, but that was not Bree's MO. As Jameis learns more from Payton on how to play the QB role, he will flourish as Bree's did once he hooked up with Payton. Brees had average stats while with San Diego. 3500 yd per year avg, New Orleans 4800 yds per year avg. And Brees had 11 of his 15 Saint years with double digit INT's, (which no body ever remembers) with the top 3 years of 22, 19, and 18 INT's. As soon as Winston throws his first pick, people on this board will be very critical.

"Part of excelling at deep passes, is baiting the safety. And not sure if there ever was somebody better at that than Drew!" And who do you think taught him that.....Payton.

There is no use debating this topic now. Let's give Winston 15 years under Payton and then we will be able to compare apples to apples, or in this case QB's to QB's.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom