Saints OTA Updates 5-23-19 (1 Viewer)

I had to look him up was a track guy at LSU ran a 4.33 40 but also never played football in college.

Another poster brought this up.

The way he explained it, scholarship football players can play other sports. But apparently, NCAA rules prohibit scholarship players from other sports to play football.

Although he’s yet to catch a pass in the NFL regular season, Grayson has been on about 3-4 practice squads. He definitely needs coaching/development, but you can’t coach 4.33 speed either!

? n I’m pulling for da guy too! But it’s still early, with about another 2 months before the start of TC. Keeping my fingers n toes crossed tho.

Agree. I’ll say this. We haven’t gone after any other veteran receiver which tells me we are counting on him to be ready and healthy. He needs to be ready to play and healthy when TC and season roll around.

? n I’m pulling for da guy too! But it’s still early, with about another 2 months before the start of TC. Keeping my fingers n toes crossed tho.
Well when we all asked why we didn't draft a WR, Cam's name was frequently mentioned as far as being "ready", healthy, etc. I hope so because if not and we end up stuck on offense, then the shirt storm will hit in the face.

Well when we all asked why we didn't draft a WR, Cam's name was frequently mentioned as far as being "ready", healthy, etc. I hope so because if not and we end up stuck on offense, then the shirt storm will hit in the face.
I think it's more likely we drafted the best player available each round. And the trade ups strongly suggest we went after value.

The bigger message was when we couldn't compete with the free agency bucks being thrown at the likes of Adam Humphries, so we had to stand pat with developing what we have in house.

And adding some guy called Jared Cook ?

I think it's more likely we drafted the best player available each round. And the trade ups strongly suggest we went after value.

The bigger message was when we couldn't compete with the free agency bucks being thrown at the likes of Adam Humphries, so we had to stand pat with developing what we have in house.

And adding some guy called Jared Cook ?
I'm not sure how much interest we had in Humphries, but I'm sure there were other cheaper options out there.

I'm not sure how much interest we had in Humphries, but I'm sure there were other cheaper options out there.
The money being thrown at the wide receiver market was pretty high. Humphries was not the most expensive and cost over $9m per year.

I'd be interested to see the per year salaries signed by each WR in this free agency period laid out in a list, actually. It would probably test the theory of who we could have signed for less than $9m per year that would have made people feel significantly better about the WR position.

Here's a list courtesy of Spotrac, not in order of annual salary but you can work it out as you look at it.

Not sure I see much that would excite me as a potential addition below the $9m* watermark. You might say Randall Cobb for $5m, but it could also be asked if he's any different to Meredith, as another player recovering from injury.

*$9m on a receiver! Crazy market. This team doesn't spend big on WR contracts, except for a clear #1 and that's going to be reserved for MT.

Last edited:

I also believe that Cams health was a big part in us not going after another WR.

Well, so far, not so good for now. From what I read, he was “limited” at OTAs. But with about 2 months before the start of TC, that might simply be “precautionary” as much as anything. Again, keeping my fingers n toes crossed.

But I’m feeling upbeat about Tre’ and Kirkwood this year. They had their ups n downs last year as rooks, but got thru it. Hopefully, the experience of it all should provide a basis for improved play this year, as Kirkwood himself explains:

Gotta love the lofty goals he’s set for himself! :9:

Last year, Tre’quan n Kirkwood combined for about 40 catches, 600 yds and 7 TDs. If that duo can up their production to at least about 60-65 catches, and about 900-1000 yds, throw in Ginn and MT, n we should be solid at WR.

But I jus think having a healthy Meredith makes us that much better!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom