Saints owner Gayle Benson sent sharp letter to Roger Goodell (1 Viewer)

The evidence that Jordan faked an injury is both weak and purely circumstantial, is contrary to the medical evidence, and is contrary to the stature of the player. At the outset, the league never should have imposed fines.

I do not believe for a second that the league dislikes Saints management so much that it has arranged for officiating to be adverse to the Saints on game day. But it seems clear that the Saints are not a favored franchise on Park Avenue--Payton too many times did not do the league's bidding; for a long time, the national perception of team management is that it did basically what it wanted to do; Tom did not make friends in league circles when he refused to fire Payton and Loomis for Bountygate; and Gayle simply does not have the stature of many owners. It does seem that whenever the league wants to make a point of enforcing some policy, the Saints are a frequent target.

Couldn’t she have busted into his office or house after the “No-Call”?!?!
No shirt! This is what she decides to write the sharp letter to the clown over, not when he steals a Superbowl from us, not when he constantly has his striped croneys walk his opponent’s QBs into the endzone for game winning gift drives, but this?

The NFL sucks. It really does. It’s a fat cow industry and it has gotten sloppy and comical.

And looking back on the No-Call fiasco, I thought the organization did come out publicly against it, no?

Last edited:
She shouldn’t be afraid of the bozo. He works for her.
This. Imagine you own a billion dollar business and the clown you hired to manage it turns around and fines you for whatever he deems inappropriate. I know how it works, several owners will get together and collude against her or whatever but she still needs to stand up for her 1/32 interest in the business

The evidence that Jordan faked an injury is both weak and purely circumstantial, is contrary to the medical evidence, and is contrary to the stature of the player. At the outset, the league never should have imposed fines.

I do not believe for a second that the league dislikes Saints management so much that it has arranged for officiating to be adverse to the Saints on game day. But it seems clear that the Saints are not a favored franchise on Park Avenue--Payton too many times did not do the league's bidding; for a long time, the national perception of team management is that it did basically what it wanted to do; Tom did not make friends in league circles when he refused to fire Payton and Loomis for Bountygate; and Gayle simply does not have the stature of many owners. It does seem that whenever the league wants to make a point of enforcing some policy, the Saints are a frequent target.
Time will tell. I think they just look down on us as a small market team that they can abuse when they need to make a point. The real animosity is toward Payton. Now, if he wins a Super Bowl next year, I might change my opinion. .

Goodell works for the NFL. Like all other owners, Benson is a franchisee, and as such, Benson has to abide by the NFL's rules.

I think it was the fact that the Saints have medical proof Jordan suffered an injury that made Goodell rescind the fines.
Goodell needs to abide by all NFL rules, too, and for someone who blathers on about “player safety” as much as he does, to issue a knee-jerk fine to the player, coaches, and team before checking to make sure it was a legit injury pretty much showed his arse.

I’ve always thought it was pretty crappy with what they tried to do after Benson announced Gayle was getting the team

https://www.nola.com/sports/saints/...cle_ee6b99ae-f12e-5375-813c-38aada192070.html

https:/bleacherreport.com/articles/2380587-tom-bensons-wife-granddaughter-reportedly-had-altercation-at-2014-saints-game
Depends on perspective, I guess... my personal experience and the experiences of a number of friends and acquaintances make me look at the situation in a different light.

Depends on perspective, I guess... my personal experience and the experiences of a number of friends and acquaintances make me look at the situation in a different light.
Be that here or there, if they would’ve at least just been civil they would’ve ended up with it eventually. It’s not like Gayle is a spring chicken. Keep their mouth shut, bide their time and they would’ve inherited it after Gayle passed. But no, they had to confront Tom, something that no one would’ve suggested was a good idea as I’ve never gotten the impression that Tom didn’t take a challenge without a fight.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom