Saints pass D worse than Bills? (2 Viewers)

Saints have given up a little less then 200 yards passing per game in meaningful game time, with 2 big pass plays (1 to Calvin Johnson and 1 to Desean Jackson).

How long was the CJ play? Was it mostly YAC like Jackson's?

Holy crap? CJ was targeted 13 times and only caught 3 balls in that game! What the heck?

Well we've both been passed on the most in the NFL, so it's hard to tell by yardage. Buffalo 103 times, New Orleans 89. If you look deeper....

We have the 3rd best completion percentage in the league at 52.8%
Buffalo has the 11th worst at 63.1%
We have the best* opponent QB rating at 53.4
Buffalo is middle of the pack at 89.0
We've given up 2 TD's, Buffalo has given up 5.
We have 6 interceptions. Buffalo has 3.
We have 2 sacks, they have 3.

We have Drew Brees....:ezbill:

*or worst however you look at it.

Game... Set... Match

/endthread

Yeah. 40 something yards I think. Tracy Porter had to come out for a play, rookie Malcolm Jenkins came in and had single coverage on Calvin Johnson. He had decent coverage, but he left his feet to make a play on the ball. With Calvin Johnson's size 1) it's hard to reach around that big body to make a play on the ball 2) you've got no chance to tackle him one armed and off your feet.

Holy crap? CJ was targeted 13 times and only caught 3 balls in that game! What the heck?

It's actually a really good secondary. I'm serious, watch the games. Almost half of the passing yardage came in the 4th quarter of both games with us up by 3 scores and playing soft. And those drives resulted in lots of yards passing, 3 turnovers, and zero points for the opponents (and 7 for us on the Darren Sharper INT for a TD).

Edwards will do better then either Kolb or Stafford did, but by and large, our defense played extremely well.

We also have a better 3rd down percentage, which gets Brees the ball back...uh-oh.

So far the Saints pass defense, save one blown coverage and one situation where a rookie was in man coverage on Megatron, has been absolute lockdown when the game matters. They are "softer" in the second half because they play a 2 deep zone defense that surrenders alot of yards, but doesnt give up points because the Saints have absolutely crushed teams and are playing to protect a rediculous lead.

CJ caught about a 10-yards slant and broke it big, so yes it was MAJOR YAC yards. We've yet to give up a "bomb".

We don't usually get a lot of YAC unless it is Evans catching a 40 yard pass and adding on another 40 in YAC. But with T.O. here now hopefully things will change. But I can't really remember the last time a Bills player caught a 10 yard slant and broke it for a 60 yard TD.

I remember that play scared the crap outta me cuz Tracy Porter (our starting cornerback) went limping off the field the play before and Malcolm Jenkins came in that play and got gave up that td. To answer your question it was almost all YAC. I still have no doubts that Jenkins will be one of the best just give him some time.

<------ Not a Bills fan.............Avatar........Read it.....Respect it :)

My bad... I'm not an avatar watcher. I don't look at them before I post. Just seemed logical in a thread talking about the Saints & Bills passing D, when someone says the Saints have played against 2 QBs with zero starts, that poster would be a fan of our upcoming opponent. :idunno: Just sayin'

We don't usually get a lot of YAC unless it is Evans catching a 40 yard pass and adding on another 40 in YAC. But with T.O. here now hopefully things will change. But I can't really remember the last time a Bills player caught a 10 yard slant and broke it for a 60 yard TD.

Evans is easily the player I'm most worried about. More so then Jackson (your RB) and much more so then TO. I still have question marks about our safeties overall, especially against players like Desean Jackson and to a lesser extent Lee Evans. Evans can bust a slant long on us if there's a mistake.

Terrell Owens, to be blunt, won't do much. Our CBs aren't big but they are great coverage guys and get hands on the ball. Edwards will try it some and then probably shift away from TO. TO's going to get frustrated and start dropping the balls he does get. And he isn't going to break away from any of our CBs.

I think Jackson will have a pretty good game, Lee Evans is your potential game breaker, but TO is headed for a pedestrian 4 for 50 type day that's going to leave him ****** off in the post-game.

when someone says the Saints have played against 2 QBs with zero starts, that poster would be a fan of our upcoming opponent. :idunno: Just sayin'

Actually that would just be fact. If a Saint fan had said it it would be just as true.

I remember that play scared the crap outta me cuz Tracy Porter (our starting cornerback) went limping off the field the play before and Malcolm Jenkins came in that play and got gave up that td. To answer your question it was almost all YAC. I still have no doubts that Jenkins will be one of the best just give him some time.

Jenkins is a rookie corner. He was 1 on 1 with Calvin Johnson. Look at Tracy Porter, he got smoked by the Redskins last season, but this season he has been a nightmare for opposing QBs. All rookies have a learning curve where they are going to get burned from time to time, the difference is the good ones study and learn from it while the bad ones ignore it. Jenkins will be a great player for the Saints, regardless of whether its at corner or at safety.

Jenkins is a rookie corner. He was 1 on 1 with Calvin Johnson. Look at Tracy Porter, he got smoked by the Redskins last season, but this season he has been a nightmare for opposing QBs. All rookies have a learning curve where they are going to get burned from time to time, the difference is the good ones study and learn from it while the bad ones ignore it. Jenkins will be a great player for the Saints, regardless of whether its at corner or at safety.

Well, and to be clear, I don't think Jenkins made a critical mistake. It was decent coverage, he was there with Johnson and in decent position. It wasn't like he took the wrong technique, just didn't match up physically, or otherwise completely blew the coverage.

It was a typical rookie mistake, not accounting for who he was covering. Calvin Johnson is a physical beast. Sometimes you have to be ok with just getting the tackle and surviving another down and distance. Greer probably recognizes that he doesn't have a great play on the ball considering the receiver, and the consequences of leaving his feet, Jenkins wanted to make a big play.

Very much the sort of thing that quietly corrects itself with experience.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom