Saints personnel groupings in 2008 (1 Viewer)

TheIronSheik

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
I noticed last year that one of the local writer for the Saints during middle of the week would go over the personnel groupings after every game. The writer would not count knee-down plays and sometimes he would miss a play a too.

This is about a close total to what the personnel groups, unless someone is willing to rewatch every plays of the season last year. This is about 95% accurate.

2RB,2WR,1TE-313[44times without a Fullback]
1RB,3WR,1TE-412
1RB,2WR,2TE-148
2RB,3WR,0TE-31[11 times without a Fullback]
2RB,1WR,2TE-79
2RB,0WR,3TE-10
3RB,1WR,1TE-5
1RB,4WR,0TE-8
1RB,1WR,3TE-21
0RB,4WR,1TE-11
3RB,0WR,2TE-1
That a total of 1039 plays

Good work!

Can anyone elaborate on a 3 RB formation?

Was that just 26/23 in backfield, and 25 in the slot??

Thanx for the post.
It will be very interesting to compare to this year.
I was wondering how the injuries affected the play calling last year.

Good work!

Can anyone elaborate on a 3 RB formation?

Was that just 26/23 in backfield, and 25 in the slot??

The 3RB formation was with a FB and 2RB and I think more then likely with Bush split out. They only used it 6 times last season. But in 2006 they used that formation more with 26 in the backfield and 27 and 25 in the slot in a formation that had a 4WR look with 2backs in the slot and Duece in the backfield. Also the TD's Bush scored on the end around vs the Steelers in 06 had him split out wide with 26 and 44 in the I-formation. It looked like normal 2RB2WR1TE formation but with 3RB's on the field.

Also the Saints had only 39 plays without a TE in 08. But after watching whole 2006 season with the replays of all the classic games here, they had alot more of the 2RB 3WR formation in 2006. One was with 26 and 25 in the backfield and the other formation they used was a 5 wide look but Bush/Stecker 2 of the 5 wides split out.

In 2006 Stecker spent more time split out wide then he did in the backfield with 19rec compare to 4rush attempts.

Nice work. It seems likely that Heath Evans, as a more flexible talent than Mike Karney, will make a difference in the distribution of formations.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom