Saints PK Wil Lutz had 'probably the best kicking workout' Sean Payton has seen (1 Viewer)

Nightshade

Super Forum Fanatic
Reaction score
"We brought him in for a workout, and it's probably the best kicking workout I've ever seen," coach Sean Payton said on a teleconference Wednesday morning.

Still, on the heels of a recommendation from Ravens coach John Harbaugh, among others, the Saints worked out Lutz on Monday. "(Lutz's) workout was outstanding, and the thing that I told Kai, our plan after these guys had kind of competed all during training camp was to pick a kicker and go with it," Payton said. "And we felt Kai had done a great job. We certainly weren't looking to replace that kicker. We knew Baltimore had a pretty good young, talented player. I'd heard that from coach Harbaugh, and a few of their staff members had talked about this young player that they had at camp.

Lutz, 22, went undrafted out of Georgia State this year, and even though he signed with the Ravens, he didn't have a realistic chance to unseat Justin Tucker in Baltimore.

"I just thought the velocity, the accuracy; we weren't bringing in a kicker on that workout day looking to replace a guy that we felt real comfortable with," Payton said. "It's pretty common for us to have guys come in here at the beginning of the season and work out, and the way it came off his foot, his leg strength — every element to it. And when it was over with — so we saw X number of field goals, X number of kickoffs, deep kickoffs (and) short — I looked at (director of pro scouting) Terry (Fontenot) and everyone else that was at the workout. I said, 'Have we seen anything like that?'

Saints PK Wil Lutz had 'probably the best kicking workout' Sean Payton has seen | NOLA.com

This explains a lot why the change was made. Seems to have a ton of upside and could be our kicker for the next decade or more.

that's what i figured. the workout sounded impressive. 10-12, only two misses from deep 50

Let's hope this guy is the next Gostkowski, Tucker, Hauschka, etc etc etc.

Wow, we've needed this for a few years now. That's going to be huge considering how many games we've lost over the past 3 or so years due to missed kicks.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Let's hope this guy is the next Gostkowski, Tucker, Hauschka, Tucker, etc etc etc.
Fingers crossed. I really hope this guy silences the doubters. Even I am a bit nervous but I've come to expect very little from our kicking game so I'm excited to see what he brings to the table.

i dont know if my nerves can take him having to line up for a game winner sunday. but if so. i hope he hits the fleur de ******* lis, because he deserves to be here :hihi:

Forbath went 10-15 last year it won't be hard for Lutz to beat that. He will have some ups and downs given his age but he has the upside to have a very long career .

"But Payton doesn't know what a good kicker is tho. So he'll suck too."

-what the usual suspects will say

I for one hope anyway.
At some point law of averages has to kick in and the blind squirrels have to find a nut. Maybe this is it.

I can only hope he's right. I've been looking for that kicker we can lock into place for a long time, and was really hoping Hartley was that guy after 2009. I do have some apprehension about picking him up based on a single workout when he has career statistics that can be reviewed as well. However, I'll go optimism and hope Payton's right this time.

Lutz had the reputation of possessing a massive leg in college with the accuracy of a shotgun. There's a huge difference between kicking a couple of dozen in practice and kicking one in front of 90,000 screaming fans with the game on the line. Ask Garrett Hartley. Let's hope this gamble pays off.

People have said he wasn't great in college but maybe it wasn't his fault. Bad long snapper, bad holder, bad protections, we don't know. If it's the best kicker workout SP has ever seen that's pretty impressive, because you know he's seen a lot.

"But Payton doesn't know what a good kicker is tho. So he'll suck too."

-what the usual suspects will say

I for one hope anyway.

Fingers crossed this guy is better than our past kickers.

I am not sure if its our inability to scout kickers, or maybe coaching, but man, what any of us would give for some stability at the position, right?

Let's hope this guy is the next Gostkowski, Tucker, Hauschka, etc etc etc.

here is a fun trip through memory lane since 2006:
(I may have missed a few)

John Carney
Billy Cundiff
Martin Gramatica
Olindo Mare
Taylor Mehlhaff
Garrett Hartley
John Kasay
Shayne Graham
Zach Hocker
Kai Forbath

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom