Saints Planning To Let Terron Armstead Test Free Agency? (1 Viewer)

liveoakh

Rookie
Reaction score

Your guess is as good as mine on this one. I thought they would have signed Williams, and Lattimore would have been the odd man out, but it now looks more like Armstead is going to be that guy. T Landon Young of Ky looked good in the preseason. He will have a whole season to make up Sean's mind.

Armstead hitting free agency would make him one of the top players available. By trimming $100MM-plus in cap space and finding room for a Marcus Williams franchise tag, the Saints showed this year they will create space for players they deem essential. After extending Ramczyk and Marshon Lattimore, will they end up letting both Armstead and Williams walk?

Last edited:
Injuries will play a roll , if TA misses time again this year and the offense remains consistent his value , here at least, will change

we seem to be good at drafting / signing OL so we may have replacement already in Young as a 2nd year player

TA is the oldest LT CSP has used since late Jamal Brown and Jermon Bushrod years as their last seasons were 27/28 y/o seasons. TA is 30. It may be a smart move to let him test FA and grab a LT in the draft. Someone will pay TA a lot to be a LT so we should be able to get a comp pick. Ram needs to stay at RT, he's an All-Pro and one of the best in the league at RT. I wouldn't move a best in the league RT to LT where he's not as good. Let's just hope for a full season from TA in what might be his last in the Black and Gold.

Tough to say. Even with him having injuries, he's still one of the best in the league. Unless Ram moves to LT, just not comfortable with him being let go yet.

We can always get him for another year on a tag - but you lose all the cap flexibility with that.

EDIT - not accurate, the future/void year makes tagging not an option.

Nope. The article specifies that his most recent restructuring stops the Saints from tagging him.

Interesting - so if you add voidable years to a deal, you lose the ability to tag? I guess because the only way to void the year is to release or restructure? That makes sense I guess from a contract point of view.

Never really thought about it. Thanks

I in

Your guess is as good as mine on this one. I thought they would have signed Williams, and Lattimore would have been the odd man out, but it now looks more like Armstead is going to be that guy. T Landon Young of Ky looked good in the preseason. He will have a whole season to make up Sean's mind.

Armstead hitting free agency would make him one of the top players available. By trimming $100MM-plus in cap space and finding room for a Marcus Williams franchise tag, the Saints showed this year they will create space for players they deem essential. After extending Ramczyk and Marshon Lattimore, will they end up letting both Armstead and Williams walk?
Probably the right call, TAs OM HOF type trajectory but north of 30 would avoid making him highest paid OT.

We’ve been burned on the MT contract, can’t have 2 mega deals blow up as Jameis is tending towards top 10 QB contract.

Age and his injury history suggest this is the right move. I think the goal is to keep the young core they've drafted over the past 5 years or so. If Jameis has an above-average year, that's our QB for the next 5 years, and that will cost at least 150 mil (around 30 mil per year, which is the low end now for franchise QBs and that would be a team discount). We just need the cap to start raising again with the return of fans.

I agree and have a feeling we go after a tackle in the first round this coming up draft
Nah, BPA... Then we trade up in the second or land a top small school guy in the 3rd or 4th round .
It will surely become a top priority no doubt.

Could this just be trying too let the market set a price so we don’t overpay?
I think that is at least part of it. You have to factor in his durability. They always have a value set for players and will not go over it and they probably have a good idea of what his agent will be pushing for. For an oft injured player, especially one going to the other side of 30, this is probably a good approach. Especially if next years draft is supposed to be particularly deep.

Also, could this contingency have always been on their mind when Peat got that big contract? Do they have enough confidence in Peat to let him take over for a year and bring up a draft pick? If not, then we will be grabbing one in the first and possibly trying to even move up for one.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom