Saints players and other key sports and public figures are angry at Drew Brees for his anthem comments (1 Viewer)

I remember a few years ago when a lone Pittsburgh Steelers came out alone to stand for the flag and he was heavily criticized for that. Piss me off that people have to follow a trend or else be out casted and label something else.

Serious question, why do people consider it disrespectful to kneel during the anthem? Kaep said it was actually an ex marines idea to kneel because it’s peaceful. Can you still kneel and love America? Once again this question is genuine curiosity, anyone who turns this into an argument other than a polite discussion to answer my question will just be ignored.

I have to say - I don't think Drew understands what the kneeling is all about. It's my understanding that Kaepernick consulted with a retired green beret about how to best protest while still respecting the flag, and kneeling was advised. This shows he was thinking critically about the best way to handle it while still honoring those who sacrificed so much for this country.

And really - since when has kneeling become a sign of disrespect? We kneel before God when we pray. Are we disrespecting the Almighty?

Now if players grabbed their crotch or turned their backs on the flag, I would feel differently. I respect his regard for our nation, his family, and our vets, but Drew doesn't seem to be contextualizing this properly at all. This just made me sad.

you beat me to it

Let's not start tip toeing around issues now SR just because its Drew making eyebrow raising comments. What about the disrespect the country shows it's own citizens Drew??? This is the EXACT same thing Kap was kneeling for in peaceful silent protesting and it hasn't been addressed still, and Drew still has a problem with peacefully protesting the continual injustice of American citizens. Privilege is so blinding to some. I hope he doesn't really believe that protesting is a sign of disrespect because it is not. Protesting is a action of disagreeance, plain and simple. Disagreeance is not disrespect. Drew's comments remind me of the raw words of a famous writer:

"If I said it, I meant it! Bite my tongue for no one....call me evil, or unbelievable!"

All those pre-game chants about playing for the man next to you and being "brothers". This is when it really matters. Drew's "brothers" are hurting, and he needs to listen. He can't fall for the bait and talk about the flag. Because that conversation is a distraction, and it's well-documented that Kaepernick consulted with a green beret to discuss the best way to protest. If he chooses not to handle the flag question differently than this, he deserves the flack for falling for the bait.

I support the BLM and I want to make changes. I want to be involved in changes. I’m a veteran and I would never kneel during the anthem. Whether you are meaning to insult the flag or not doesn’t matter to me. The anthem means something personal to me in my own way and that’s for me to decide. So if someone doesn’t support kneeling during the flag doesn’t mean they don’t believe in the cause. And let’s be honest, Brees walks the walk, what he has done for a predominately African American city, his players love him dearly and he has a bond with them we will never understand. So I’d rather you stand up and walk the walk and talk the talk rather than kneel and do nothing behind it.

This I think that most can agree with. There’s a time and place for everything and Drew need to be just a little bit more careful.
Drew lives in a bubble too much. I am shocked he has no one on his team telling him to read the room. Only problem is he probably does have a PR guy and his PR guy probably aligns with Drew's stances on things given Brees' history of keeping people around him that are the typical "I bleed red, white, and blue and follow the bible no matter what" prototype.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom