Saints players and other key sports and public figures are angry at Drew Brees for his anthem comments (1 Viewer)

These officers are being held accountable. They are all arrested. Cops are being held accountable all the time. They deal with more crap than we will ever know. I was always taught to respect people of authority and people in position of authority. But today's society is not like this. The cops have to take so much verbal and physical abuse but yet are suppose to be nice and kind. That's BS. Do as they ask and all will be fine. That may have not been the case 40+ years ago, but today, with all the camera's out there, there is no way around it.

Our society is so backwards. We pay people millions of dollars to play a game, yet pay practically nothing to the teachers, officers, firemen,....the people that teach, protect and save us. Crazy.

Since 2005, research shows that only 35 officers have been convicted of a crime related to an on-duty fatal shooting. Each year in the United States, somewhere between 900 and 1,000 people are shot and killed by police

Just to confirm......the numbers above are unarmed people ( white and black) killed by cops?

Not being disrespectful, just wanted to clarify.

Also, honestly, if I’m Drew Brees, my first step is privately talking with Cam, Demario, Terron, Duece, etc.

The words he said aren’t that bad, the timing is very bad. If he said that exact quote a month ago, it wouldn’t even get a retweet.

Not unessarily unarmed people -- total people.

there you go again....muddying the issue. there is no fact here. I stated that everyone is entitled to have their own opinion. You stated that they are not allowed to have any opinion if the are not your opinion.

You can hold to whatever you want. Doesn't mean it isn't wrong. Keep believing 2+2=5.

Drew Brees is not a bad person. Drew however is a guy who's lived in a bubble his whole life and has stubbornly refused to educate himself more on social issues. That's his right, it's his life, but when you're the QB of a team filled with black men and of a city predominantly black, you had better brace yourself for any fallout.
I for one dont think standing for the National anthem is a racist stance... I do disagree with the assessment that kneeling is in some way disrespectful to the flag, the nation, or the troops. Quite the opposite, I believe that staying quiet and complicit while rights stated as guaranteed are denied, is the ultimate disrespect to our nation and soldiers.

so you have your opinion. Which I’m not saying is right or wrong, but it’s not ok for someone (in this case Drew) to disagree with you ?

This was not Swimmer. This was Never Gove Up. I am not sure what happened. Mods please delete

I would see another more likely explanation than your "likely prejudice and racism." I think it's more a function of police interactions. So, instead of using total number of each race in your calculation denominator, you need to use total numbers of each race involved in police interactions (let's say arrested). That will give a more true indication and change your conclusion.

You are free to post that and think that. I don't have knowledge of stats of police interactions.

But I'll opine that the number of police interactions is also much higher for blacks than white for the same reasons, prejudice, racism, and racial profiling. "Driving while black, walking while black, etc. are not problems that white people have nearly as often.

These officers are being held accountable. They are all arrested. Cops are being held accountable all the time. They deal with more crap than we will ever know. I was always taught to respect people of authority and people in position of authority. But today's society is not like this. The cops have to take so much verbal and physical abuse but yet are suppose to be nice and kind. That's BS. Do as they ask and all will be fine. That may have not been the case 40+ years ago, but today, with all the camera's out there, there is no way around it.

Our society is so backwards. We pay people millions of dollars to play a game, yet pay practically nothing to the teachers, officers, firemen,....the people that teach, protect and save us. Crazy.

Yes Cops have to deal with a lot on a daily bases but that doesn't give them the right to take anger and frustration out on anyone doesn't matter if its another cop or citizen. Officers have my respect still because of what they do but to try and twist it and say because its a lack of respect for authority is just a poor excuse. Every first responder deals with some type of pressure or possibly anxiety they are human and go through the same emoitions as anyone else. But just because a doctor is having a bad day they can't let that affect them and f up a life or death operation on someone. No matter what they have a very serious job to do. if anyone is ever under so much stress than you talk about it or take time off. Sense i see so many people bringing up the flag and anthem along with vets and they like to use them as a shield or out to whats really been going on. Just because a vet has gone to war and been through stuff doesn't mean they can come home and be abusive to anyone it wouldn't be acceptable.

Last edited:
It’s hard to come to terms with the fact a person I respect so much as an athlete has such malignant and discriminatory views.

After the Focus on the Family episode, I truly wanted to believe that he was naive and genuinely unaware that that organisation promotes harmful and unscientific protocols like gay conversion therapy.

The inescapable conclusion now though is that Drew just doesn’t get it.

I’m sure we will get a statement “clarifying” his comments or another awkward taped apology. If the objective is to preserve what’s left of his public reputation, he almost doesn’t have a choice.

Undoubtedly, that will be satisfactory to a large contingent of Saints fans who will point to it and say, “see, this is what he really meant”.

Unfortunately, the mask has slipped off one too many times now.

Drew Brees is not a bad person. Drew however is a guy who's lived in a bubble his whole life and has stubbornly refused to educate himself more on social issues. That's his right, it's his life, but when you're the QB of a team filled with black men and of a city predominantly black, you had better brace yourself for any fallout.

I agree - I love Drew - I don't blame him for being ignorant - We all know folks who have trouble with empathy - we all sit with them at the table and have a little piece of ourselves die when we realize just how bad of a human being that some folks are. I'm rooting for him the whole way, but I'm not going to feel sorry for the flak that he'll get - it's a shame that he is incapable of understanding it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom