Saints players and other key sports and public figures are angry at Drew Brees for his anthem comments (1 Viewer)

A young player who actually gets it! Was it bad timing, yes. The old sayings are “don’t just talk the talk, walk the walk”and “actions speak louder than words”. I think Brees actions in the community speak volumes. There’s no way anyone can say Drew Brees is even remotely racist. What he has done for this city and the black community has been outstanding. Now, all of a sudden, we want to forget everything he’s done and destroy him for one interview. An interview in which he says he stands with the black community for racial equality. Only thing he did was say the reasons he stands for the national anthem. Again, I think he needs to be smarter about his timing, but Drew Brees is an tremendous citizen and ambassador for this team and city

Umm, yeah. You need to do some more reading about events leading up to that imo.
I've done a lot of it. Germany wanted to keep the US out of the war and our tensions with Japan was at an all time high because we were aiding China in their conflict while basically placing sanctions on Japan. Pearl Harbor wasn't happenstance and if you think it was, I might not be the one who needs to go back and read up on WW2.

WW2 started in 1939. We joined in 1941. I don't think the US would not have been directly attacked by anyone if it wasn't for our intervention in the Japan-China conflict.

Drew missed the boat when he said that the kneeling protest was "disrespecting the flag." A better response would have been to tell the story of his grandfathers and what that means to him and then say, "For that reason I cannot kneel during the National Anthem. However, I fully understand and respect that others' opinions and life experiences get a different image. I have been fortunate in my life and have not been exposed to their experiences. Because of that, while I will not take a knee myself, I will respect their exercise of their First Amendment rights, stand by them, and support any of their efforts to achieve the American experience that I have been blessed with in my life."

He cast their protest through his life experiences and no through theirs. I expected more empathy from him. I am disappointed in him. He does seem like a stand up guy. I hope that the conversations that he is having with his teammates makes him more understanding of other's experiences.

You are free to post that and think that. I don't have knowledge of stats of police interactions.

But I'll opine that the number of police interactions is also much higher for blacks than white for the same reasons, prejudice, racism, and racial profiling. "Driving while black, walking while black, etc. are not problems that white people have nearly as often.
I don't doubt what you say about likelihood of interactions being higher, but you have to admit, there is often reason for that. Just take New Orleans murder stats as an example. Most killed by a large number are African Americans killed by African Americans. Crime lives in impoverished areas. IMHO, the bigger issue than race is socio-economic status. We need to work on income balance, and to a large extent, the imbalance is a result of political corruption. America has to wake up to what its politicians are doing, and the media has to also quit being corrupt in what and how they report what the politicians are doing. But at the same time, we can't live in victimhood and just blame gov't and corporations. We have to look at ourselves in the mirror and ask, "What can I do to make my situation better?" The answers may not be easy ones. They may require more education, and other long term sacrifice. But people of all races have opportunities now. Seize them if you can!

Good grief. The triggering. How are you all going to survive Trump being re-elected
Same way we’ve always survived.

Just with more fires, riots and social unrest, I guess.

“I will never agree with anybody disrespecting the flag of the United States of America or our country.”

That is the quote what stings the most.

He basically is saying that he's willing to ignore vocal resistance of racially discriminative, illegal, public executions of black men when that vocal resistance takes the form of kneeling during the national anthem, something he perceives as disrespectful to the military.

Drew, I respect your passion for our country, but there is no justifiable reason to ever ignore racially driscriminative, illegal, public executions of men of any color. Not for a flag or the country it represents. Even with all the other problems we have in this country, America is supposed to be better than that. Thats what the kneeling was for.

I remember a few years ago when a lone Pittsburgh Steelers came out alone to stand for the flag and he was heavily criticized for that. Piss me off that people have to follow a trend or else be out casted and label something else.
This goes both ways.

I've done a lot of it. Germany wanted to keep the US out of the war and our tensions with Japan was at an all time high because we were aiding China in their conflict while basically placing sanctions on Japan. Pearl Harbor wasn't happenstance and if you think it was, I might not be the one who needs to go back and read up on WW2.

WW2 started in 1939. We joined in 1941. I don't think the US would not have been directly attacked by anyone if it wasn't for our intervention in the Japan-China conflict.

They bombed Pearl Harbor in order to destroy our Pacific naval fleet. Why? Because they wanted to invade and conquer our territories, like the Philippines, which they did 10 hours after Pearl Harbor. They rounded up American citizens- civilians- and put them in a prison camp... before we ever declared war on them.

And if Germany wanted to keep us out of the war, declaring war on us was a funny way of showing it. Especially after we let them sink our ships in the Atlantic repeatedly without declaring war on them.

How about WWI? Look up the Zimmerman telegram. To say we didn’t fight any wars in the 20th century to preserve our freedoms is ludicrous.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom