Saints players and other key sports and public figures are angry at Drew Brees for his anthem comments (1 Viewer)

Drew missed the boat when he said that the kneeling protest was "disrespecting the flag." A better response would have been to tell the story of his grandfathers and what that means to him and then say, "For that reason I cannot kneel during the National Anthem. However, I fully understand and respect that others' opinions and life experiences get a different image. I have been fortunate in my life and have not been exposed to their experiences. Because of that, while I will not take a knee myself, I will respect their exercise of their First Amendment rights, stand by them, and support any of their efforts to achieve the American experience that I have been blessed with in my life."

He cast their protest through his life experiences and no through theirs. I expected more empathy from him. I am disappointed in him. He does seem like a stand up guy. I hope that the conversations that he is having with his teammates makes him more understanding of other's experiences.
Well said. You echo my feelings almost exactly. I especially agree with the underlined. I believe he is seeing things through his world experiences and more empathy is needed to see things from another’s view that has had completely different circumstances in life.

Drew missed the boat when he said that the kneeling protest was "disrespecting the flag." A better response would have been to tell the story of his grandfathers and what that means to him and then say, "For that reason I cannot kneel during the National Anthem. However, I fully understand and respect that others' opinions and life experiences get a different image. I have been fortunate in my life and have not been exposed to their experiences. Because of that, while I will not take a knee myself, I will respect their exercise of their First Amendment rights, stand by them, and support any of their efforts to achieve the American experience that I have been blessed with in my life."

He cast their protest through his life experiences and no through theirs. I expected more empathy from him. I am disappointed in him. He does seem like a stand up guy. I hope that the conversations that he is having with his teammates makes him more understanding of other's experiences.

Perfectly stated...

Drew needs to put you on speed dial right about now.

Drew Brees is a good man. Maybe doesn't really get all the nuances about the currents scenario that's playing out here but to disparage the mans character because you don't agree with his stance on kneeling during the anthem is small minded. I personally disagree with him on this issue.

Maybe you should take a good look in the mirror and ask yourself how flawless you are. Be as brutally judgmental about yourself as you are about others. Unless of course you're a completely flawless human being in which case you should be sure let us know so we can all worship at your feet.

Like I said Drew is a good man. Not above being questioned or criticized but definitely not deserving of some of the utter crap some people are spewing.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Drew can say and feel what he thinks is appropriate for how one should act during the anthem. However, his timing is poor here and almost seems suspect. I hope he and his teammates can figure this one out.

Incredibly bad timing on Drew's part. Regardless if feels this way, he could have at least waited.
I don't blame Drew at all for answering they way he did or when he did. The interviewer asked him the question and he answered honestly. No doubt Drew has been watching all that's going on and feels a lot of emotions too. He just needed to express himself.

More importantly, I want to say I listened to the video of exactly what Drew said, and I don't think it is inconsistent with feelings of the Floyd protesters. All Drew is saying is don't disrespect America as a country and its flag for these murders. Too much has been sacrificed and too much good has been done in America to trash the whole. We should solve our common problems together as a nation and focus our desire for change in at the sources of the problems.

For the many, change feels to be coming too slow. But let us not forget how far we HAVE come, and use this recent tragedy to accelerate the process.

Aaron f'ing Rodgers gets it. Brees let Aaron Rodgers upstage him.

“A few years ago we were criticized for locking arms in solidarity before the game. It has NEVER been about an anthem or a flag,” Rodgers wrote. “Not then. Not now. Listen with an open heart, let’s educate ourselves, and then turn word and thought into action.”

I'll kill this quote with drew about he'll never agree with anyone disrespecting the flag of the united state of america or our country. He and many of you found kap and others years ago and still til this day kneeling so disrespectful but you have all these white nationalist groups and extremest who will stand right up there in a group march and protest peacefully with an american flag in hand for whatever they believe in and how they think our country should be or go back too. No one on tv or in media makes a big up roar about the flag and what its suppose to represent. Where's the outrage when you see that? Most of you stay silent

Sensitive time! Hope we put this behind us as a team. Good lord. Really!

"Perhaps" isn't a very strong rebuttal though, is it now?
No, it's a mildly sarcastic one.

We each speak for ourselves. Nothing wrong with pointing out how some things become group think though, right?
Sure.

Do those white lives matter though?
So, it seems that the point that is not clear to you, is that the slogan "Black Lives Matter" doesn't mean "only black lives matter" or that "black lives matter more". It means that black lives should matter just as much as white lives, because it seems, they are not.

Per arrest for a violent crime, a white person is more likely than a black person to be killed by the police.

Ok.

So, first of all, you may want to find a better source of information. But anyway, one would have to ask:
What violent crime did George Floyd commit?
What violent crime did Ahmaud Arbery commit, that gave the Georgia DA reason not to press charges against the two racist yahoos who hunted him down and killed him?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom