Saints players and other key sports and public figures are angry at Drew Brees for his anthem comments (1 Viewer)

Drew Brees has given more to this community, over more years, than ANY sports figure in New Orleans history. He donated FIVE MILLION DOLLARS during the Covid crisis. He has had countless teammates of all races and creeds, and this is what he gets back? He didn't come out and say anything AGAINST anybody. He said HE can't disrespect the flag of his country. If his teammates can't respect HIS opinion to respect the flag of his country, then he should just quit....retire and be done with this. If Drew Brees gets run out of football, it will give me more time to fish on Sunday.

Why should anyone ever be forced to respect someone's opinion? There are several people's opinions I do not respect one bit.

The difference, though, is respecting the person. I think that despite the animosity about Brees' comments, the players of course respect him as a human being and teammate. I don't believe they think he means ill will, and of course he doesn't.

Well sheet. I just woke up to this sheetshow.

From Australia - very forking disappointed in Drew, so tone deaf and privileged.

Only good that can come of this is Drew is a man dedicated to learning, I hope he can wake the fork up and face some real truths about his privilege and position in society ASAP. Honestly otherwise I am fine to move on to another QB or just not watch this year until it changes.

Colston spoke out against Drew. It's game over. Drew lost. When the quiet storm say something. It's the truth.

The whole "my gradfather fought in WW2 argument" got ripped to shred by Malcolm and Colston.

Well sheet. I just woke up to this sheetshow.

From Australia - very forking disappointed in Drew, so tone deaf and privileged.

Only good that can come of this is Drew is a man dedicated to learning, I hope he can wake the fork up and face some real truths about his privilege and position in society ASAP. Honestly otherwise I am fine to move on to another QB or just not watch this year until it changes.
Translation: capitulate to the approved point of view or be canceled.

I am so sick of this attitude, and doubly sick because it comes from those who preach about tolerance.

I also love my country and understand that the people have the right to free speech. Harmlessly kneeling during the national anthem is free speech. You don't like because either:

A) you want other people's hurt to be out of sight out of mind

B) you are a racist that loves when black folks get killed, and don't want things to change.
Really? Those are the only 2 reasons to not like kneeling during the anthem? You want tolerance for someone to kneel during the anthem but you don't tolerate someone's opinion that they don't like kneeling during the anthem.

Colston spoke out against Drew. It's game over. Drew lost. When the quiet storm say something. It's the truth.

The whole "my gradfather fought in WW2 argument" got ripped to shred by Malcolm and Colston.
Yeahhhh when the quiet storm is ripping you a new one, it may be timd to reevaluate

You see, this is such a perfect example of how people can't think, reason, or form any kind unique, rational thought.

OK, so where the hell did I criticize the way others protest? Huh? I DIDN'T! I even specifically said I understand the kneelers aren't doing it to disrespect veterans.

Also, on to the whole.. "oh its not meant to offend, only to draw attention" baloney. Kneeling during the anthem is in fact MEANT to be offensive, how else would it create attention? If it bothered nobody, then nobody would talk about it. FFS people. Stop being told what to think and use some common sense. SHEOPLE!
So what have you done? You avoided the single question I asked.

I see your criticism of the means of outrage here, of the people gearing up protests, but I dont see examples of actions you have taken to demonstrate ”the right way” and actually fighting for change?

If all you do is simply call out the means and methods people are fighting back with, essentially, you are just a social enforcer for their quiet oppression.

Willfully ignoring what's happening makes you complicit. Lip service isn't good enough.
No one's willfully ignoring anything. That's a false narrative.

You can oppose police brutality and show some respect during the national anthem. It's not one or the other.

People pillorying Drew for his comments are totally baseless and out of line.

Heaven forbid Drew Brees be allowed to have his own thoughts on things. If that is how he truly feels, then that is just fine. Welcome to America.
Is Jenkins allowed to have his though? Colston?

Seems like a lot of these cries stop when Brees’s words ends.

Brees can reroute a question about the greivences of his teammates all he wants, his teammates likewise have every right to call his words and posture unhelpful and ignorant.

No one's willfully ignoring anything. That's a false narrative.

You can oppose police brutality and show some respect during the national anthem. It's not one or the other.

People pillorying Drew for his comments are totally baseless and out of line.

This has already been addressed. Why should I show any respect to the national anthem when it stands for a nation that's violating the rights of its own people?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom