Saints Players Retired Numbers (1 Viewer)

What saints numbers should be retired

• LB Sam Mills

Votes: 31 40.8%
  • RB Dalton Hilliard

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • S Tommy Myers

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • WR Danny Abramowicz

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • QB Bobby Hebert

• K Tom Dempsey

• LB Vaughan Johnson

• T Stan Brock

• LB Pat Swilling

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • DE Jim Wilks

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • William Roaf, OT

Votes: 11 14.5%
  • WR Eric Martin

• G/T Jim Dombrowski

• Morten Andersen, K (if he ever retires)

Votes: 9 11.8%
  • The whole dome patrol defense

Votes: 13 17.1%

• Total voters
Carolina already retired Mills #. I'm not sure what that means for us, but it annoys the heck out of me. What's the protocol there?

That's a good question.

Mills played for us for 9 years and made 4 pro-bowls during that time. He played for Carolina for 3 and then stayed around as a coach until he passed.

I love Sam Mills, but I'm not sure what needs to be accomplished to have your number retired. Remember, this is permanent. Never to be worn again.

Carolina is a much younger franchise and Mills' battle with cancer helped to inspire them to go to the SuperBowl.

Like I said...I love Mills, but does 4 pro-bowls get your jersey in the rafters?
I think to have your jersey hung you need to do something really special. Be the leader that takes the team to the Superbowl or something magnificent off the field.

I don't think we can start retiring everybody's jersey that makes a handful of pro-bowls.

If that were the case there are a lot of players we could make a case for. Ricky, Morten, Roaf, etc .etc.

I don't think we can afford to have 6 or 7 (Manning, Jackson, Roaf, Andersen, Mills, etc.) jerseys retired and only have 1 playoff win in franchise history.

Last edited:
That's some tough love Ruprict, but I have to say I agree with you. I feel to have your number retired, you needed to have had a Hall of Fame type career. With that said, once Roaf makes it, we should put his number up there. I have seen Mills' name on a few HOF ballots though. Regardless, I just hate that Carolina has "claimed" the Field Mouse. I wish the Dome had a statute of him out front....he was always my favorite player.

That's some tough love Ruprict, but I have to say I agree with you. I feel to have your number retired, you needed to have had a Hall of Fame type career. With that said, once Roaf makes it, we should put his number up there. I have seen Mills' name on a few HOF ballots though. Regardless, I just hate that Carolina has "claimed" the Field Mouse. I wish the Dome had a statute of him out front....he was always my favorite player.

Mine too, without a doubt. Vaughn Johnson was a close second. Mostly because Roger Craig said the hardest hit he ever got in his career was when he tried to cross infront of Vaughn Johnson one time.

Now...somebody suggested just hanging their name, but letting other players still wear the #.

I like that idea.

Retiring a number is permanent. Walter Peyton kind of permanent.

I'm just not comfortable hanging a bunch of numbers from the rafters with only 1 playoff win in franchise history.

Dome50,
I hate that Carolina "claimed" him too. But we do have to remember that Mills went there their expansion year. He was their first linebacker.

I would like to hang a banner. Say something like this:

SAM MILLS

Discovered in the USFL by Jim Mora and legendary GM Jim Finks.

Saints linebacker and team captain 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, 1994.

Pro-Bowl appearance 1987, 1988, 1991, 1992.

Anchor of the DOME PATROL

Somebody wore 57, which to me is very disrespectful.

No Saint should ever be allowed to wear that number ever again.

that's a little harsh....disrespectful?? what if you played football your whole life, and your favorite player was number 57...that's paying respect to the player...most players wear numbers of their childhood idol....hardly disrespectful.

You should be ashamed of yourself for not putting 57 on the list. He is the only Saint as far as I'm concerned that I would vote for to have his number retired.

yea i think when a player passes away(or coach) at a real young age they retire his #, kory stringer for the vikes had his number in the ring of honor, so i think its up to the team, and there are no certain guidelines....

You should be ashamed of yourself for not putting 57 on the list. He is the only Saint as far as I'm concerned that I would vote for to have his number retired.

The Saints don't retire numbers anymore. The closest we have to that is having numbers hanging in the Dome. Jackson and Manning are the only two players with that honor. I assume Jackson is not listed because his number is already hanging.

I would vote to say that any Saints players that go to the Hall Of Fame in Canton should have their numbers retired....until then...a banner hanging in the Superdome is good enough for me...8...51...57 are starters for me...:9:

Is this some kind of a joke?? I went to vote for Rickey Jackson, and he wasn't there?! Without 57's name on there, this list has no credibility. Sorry to come down on you so hard, but that's a pretty egregious mistake considering he's only the best player to ever wear a Saints uniform.....

his number is already up there

I think Sam Mills should be the next person to go on the wall. Without a doubt. Morten I think at some point should go up there as well.

I would vote to say that any Saints players that go to the Hall Of Fame in Canton should have their numbers retired....until then...a banner hanging in the Superdome is good enough for me...8...51...57 are starters for me...:9:

See, I disagree. Some franchises have dozens of players in the Hall.

So far we have Doug Atkins (1982) - 1967-1969, Earl Campbell (1991) - 1984-1985, and Jim Taylor (1976) - 1967.

Just because we don;t have many players in the HOF doesn't mean that is a criteria.

I associate retired jerseys with championships and dynastys.

I never associate players with their number, so I say retire the jersey. More often than not, the number is the second choice for the player anyway...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom